[OT] Tattoos

Hoss

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Got 17ish tattoos. Some regrets. Here's one of my favs.

FB_IMG_1557145930759.jpg

Anyone in the area that you’d suggest? I’ve got a bad one that needs to be covered over and tied into the others somehow. I have ideas but I need some that can help with the design.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:09 AM, matter2003 said:

I just got one done...my first one...still healing but I will post it when its finished healing...

I'm a software engineer so I got something related to software engineering done...

What'd you get?

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

Anyone in the area that you’d suggest? I’ve got a bad one that needs to be covered over and tied into the others somehow. I have ideas but I need some that can help with the design.

I haven't gotten any ink in quite a while. It's in Perry but he's the best I've found. Very casual laid back dude which was the opposite of a lot of artists I've been to. 

https://m.facebook.com/Sky-High-Ink-146755847311/

Edited by inkman
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I haven't gotten any ink in quite a while. It's in Perry but he's the best I've found. Very casual laid back dude which was the opposite of a lot of artists I've been to. 

https://m.facebook.com/Sky-High-Ink-146755847311/

I just happen to be working out in that direction. I think I’ll pop in there and see what’s going on.

27 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I just happen to be working out in that direction. I think I’ll pop in there and see what’s going on.

Make sure you stop in at Silver Lake Brewing Company in Perry too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ogre said:

If you're willing to drive up to Greece our friend Emma at White Tiger does great work. Josie and I both have work from her.

https://www.instagram.com/catacomb.kid/?hl=en

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

If you're willing to drive up to Greece our friend Emma at White Tiger does great work. Josie and I both have work from her.

She's my bestie. She did my cicada/peonies up top. Anyone at White Tiger is pretty good. Just don't go to Voodoo Monkey. She used to work there- I'm actually not sure they're still open- old boss got in major deep ***** for assaulting lone female clients. 

In Buffalo I recommend SOS (Taylor Heald is just unmatched amazing and is actually opening an art gallery here soon) and Cowpoke. In Ithaca, check out my friend Amy Jiao. She'll only do black/grey work but it's good.  

49 minutes ago, josie said:

She's my bestie. She did my cicada/peonies up top. Anyone at White Tiger is pretty good. Just don't go to Voodoo Monkey. She used to work there- I'm actually not sure they're still open- old boss got in major deep ***** for assaulting lone female clients. 

In Buffalo I recommend SOS (Taylor Heald is just unmatched amazing and is actually opening an art gallery here soon) and Cowpoke. In Ithaca, check out my friend Amy Jiao. She'll only do black/grey work but it's good.  

Tattoo shops draw a strange sort. The shop I used to frequent was so over the top machismo and faux tough guy BS I had to leave. Constantly blasting thrash and playing horror films for everyone's "pleasure".  I felt so out of place. I don't go anymore but the ones I've been exposed to the last decade we're so much more my speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

I’ll definitely check out her shop. This piece I want covered was done 27 years ago and was done poorly because I was in a rush....so I’m in no rush. I’ve lived a hard knock/storied life and I’m really looking for someone that is willing to listen to my story and bring my expectations in line with reality. 

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Tattoo shops draw a strange sort. The shop I used to frequent was so over the top machismo and faux tough guy BS I had to leave. Constantly blasting thrash and playing horror films for everyone's "pleasure".  I felt so out of place. I don't go anymore but the ones I've been exposed to the last decade we're so much more my speed. 

That ***** is annoying. Don’t tell me how bad ass you are. Show me you little bitch. 

On 4/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, North Buffalo said:

No Tats, but two nasty scars, one on back of left upper arm, had a big birth marked removed as a kid and one across my chest, had a pectus excavatum as a kid.  Was wondering and not sure what, but can ink coverup scars? And how painful is that to do on a scale of 1-10, 10 being most painful?

Don’t you dare cover those up my friend. Have you forgotten how arduous they were to acquire?

While we’re discussing scars...anyone have any branding? My 30 year old piece is barely distinguishable. I didn’t go deep enough. 

I do have a lot of welding burn scars that are deep enough though, especially on my neck where they get caught up in my PPE. That ***** hurts. Molten iron trapped against bare skin. TRAPPED!

There’s nothing that announces to the world “I’m a working man” like a neck full of crater scars...not sure how I feel about that now that I think about it. 

11 hours ago, Ogre said:

While we’re discussing scars...anyone have any branding? My 30 year old piece is barely distinguishable. I didn’t go deep enough. 

I do have a lot of welding burn scars that are deep enough though, especially on my neck where they get caught up in my PPE. That ***** hurts. Molten iron trapped against bare skin. TRAPPED!

There’s nothing that announces to the world “I’m a working man” like a neck full of crater scars...not sure how I feel about that now that I think about it. 

I don't think I could get into branding. I've burnt myself to many times on accident to want to do it on purpose, haha. How was the healing process on that? I'd assume its worse than a tattoo.

17 hours ago, inkman said:

Yeah.... that shop in particular with the handsy piece of ***** was like that sometimes. It's like he felt he had to impress people with his edgy choices. Had a motorcycle (piece of crap that was dripping oil) in the front window. Nah bro. Pretty sure that's a questionable health code violation... My friend wanted to get out for years.

Then I go to other shops and it's professional and chill and I'm like... oh. Yeah. That guy was a piece of crap. Tattoo shops don't HAVE to be that way. (also side note- he'd draw out the design with marker and it would look super good. then he'd ink.. and it just looked like crap. Always amazed me- his roughs were actually kinda gorgeous and his finals were awful).

My other friend who tats in Rochester used to be that way too. Got my first tattoo with him- you pick a VHS out of his mini Blockbuster- I think we were watching Pet Sematery. I used to partially own the "studio" as my painting nook/threw art shows there (cheese and wine? hell no. cheap pizza and genny cuz we're broke!). We were in the Hungerford. But I'd walk in and I could hear the grindcore metal two floors down depending on his client that day haha 
He's at Atomic Roc Tattoo in the village gate now- the owner of that shop is effing talented (Laura I think?). He's getting back into it/getting his touch back after a couple years off. Unique stuff, though. Neat guy. 

I agree with the feel of the shop. I’ve been to the ones where it’s kinda skuzzy and over half the tattoos that are done there are drunk people picking some flash. 

The guy I go to now is awesome (here in CT). It’s a one man operation and everything is custom. The space is nice and clean front part is an Art studio and the back is the tatto studio. Their are no signs out front and it’s under a bank in a swanky town so their is not any people just walking in. The artist works with you and will tell you if the idea won’t age well. He really wants to educate you. He also gets to know you on a personal level and just tries to make you comfortable. He’s a little more expensive and the shop is over an hour from me but if it’s a bigger piece it’s worth it for the experience. 

You should also go to an artist where their style or specialty is what you are looking to get. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sabills said:

I don't think I could get into branding. I've burnt myself to many times on accident to want to do it on purpose, haha. How was the healing process on that? I'd assume its worse than a tattoo.

Regular ole third degree burn. As I said, I didn’t go deep enough with mine. It’s like that quote from that very famous duck “I don’t like pain, it hurts me.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:33 PM, Doohickie said:

bong-smoking-dolphin-tattoo.jpg

(not mine)

That's SO WEIRD!

I was just thinking the other day: "I may need to get a tattoo of a dolphin sitting in a barcalounger smoking a water bong."

There's just something so classic about it.  It says "timeless elegance" to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/6/2019 at 4:37 PM, Ogre said:

Redhouse on Broadway and Transit does awesome work... went there because I know a few people with tattoos from there and I really liked how they looked.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

in 2003, my fiance and i had broken up and i had moved to a new town, so i had no friends or family within hours of my house. most days/nights i was alone and I rarely spoke to another person. I decided to start watching baseball to keep the time occupied.

i watched every red sox game, only missing maybe 2 or 3 the whole season. they became my obsession to get me through the tough times of lonelyness. i ended up visiting many cities to watch the red sox games and even met nice people online and in person. 

i got a tattoo of the red sox, 2 sox logo on my my shoulder once at some point in 2005 or 2006, i cant remember when. I met my wife a couple of years after that, and ultimately rarely baseball anymore, but even now, the tattoo has a deep meaning to me since it helped pull me out of my problems at least for a few hours per day. 

Edited by miles

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.