[OT] Tattoos

Hoss

10 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Not that anyone would care to hear from the guy that said Never but.......my only advice would be to consider putting them in areas where you might be thinking when 70 years old.....why did I ever get that there. 

Come on, now. That neck tattoo with the skull and crossbones will be even funnier when the guy/gal sporting it is drinking prune juice at the old folks home.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Not that anyone would care to hear from the guy that said Never but.......my only advice would be to consider putting them in areas where you might be thinking when 70 years old.....why did I ever get that there. 

all the people i know who are 70+ constantly tell me to live my life for now, not later. i actually only knew of one person that old with a visible tattoo and they said they wish they had more.

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

all the people i know who are 70+ constantly tell me to live my life for now, not later. i actually only knew of one person that old with a visible tattoo and they said they wish they had more.

My grampa had 2, one was visable with a t-shirt on but was just his name (Thats right, he had his own name tattooed on his arm. The more I think about it the more I love it.) The other was a Native Chief on his upper arm (around where mine is) which was pretty droopy by the time I remember it. My mom always used them as examples of why you shouldn't get tattoos, but he never seemed ashamed of them ( a LOT of sleeveless shirts, or no shirts, in the summer). I never asked him if he regretted them.

Edited by sabills

No Tats, but two nasty scars, one on back of left upper arm, had a big birth marked removed as a kid and one across my chest, had a pectus excavatum as a kid.  Was wondering and not sure what, but can ink coverup scars? And how painful is that to do on a scale of 1-10, 10 being most painful?

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

No Tats, but two nasty scars, one on back of left upper arm, had a big birth marked removed as a kid and one across my chest, had a pectus excavatum as a kid.  Was wondering and not sure what, but can ink coverup scars? And how painful is that to do on a scale of 1-10, 10 being most painful?

Quick google search. There are several sites that talk about it. Here’s one ...

https://authoritytattoo.com/tattoos-over-scars/

as far as pain ... the more nerve endings in an area, the more you’ll feel. Like around nipples, under the arm etc ...

scar tissue itself has no nerve endings as I’m sure you knew 

Edited by Zamboni

10 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I've got a Bills logo on one shoulder, a Sabres Goathead logo on the other shoulder, a beer mug on my heart that say Milwaukee, and a big Slayer logo tattoo across my back. All can be covered with a t-shirt and that's no accident.

All three of mine are concealable as well.  As for meaning, they represent the timeline of my life.  No regrets. 

14 hours ago, sabills said:

That is an awesome one, Hoss

thank you! i got it done pretty much on a whim and i’m so glad i did it. it was also shortly after i called off a serious relationship and was just ready to be the person i want to be. it’s a good reminder of everything i’m still going through now.

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Quick google search. There are several sites that talk about it. Here’s one ...

https://authoritytattoo.com/tattoos-over-scars/

as far as pain ... the more nerve endings in an area, the more you’ll feel. Like around nipples, under the arm etc ...

scar tissue itself has no nerve endings as I’m sure you knew 

True but nerves tend to ball up around edges and try and regrow but can't go thru which is why if you bang an area near a scar sometimes you get a shock or an be sensitive. TY thanks for info 

22 hours ago, Hoss said:

As a guy who's in his 50s now, my memory from younger days of people who had tats were all WWII veterans.  By the 1970s, all that old ink was pretty worn in, droopy or blurred and just kind of looked terrible.  Basically everyone I knew with a tat fit that description.  As a result, I never really had an urge to get a tattoo myself.  I can't think of anything that's so important that I would want to put it on a tat.  My wife's name?  Maybe, but she doesn't like tattoos, so what's the use?

I see other people with tats and I think, oh, that's kind of cool, but it doesn't make me want to get one.

@Hoss See I would get one but I've never had a good enough design like yours. That thing is pretty awesome

I grew up in a neighborhood called Woodstock, there was 10 of us or so that are all very close to this day. I've always wanted to get some sort of tattoo for that; centered around the Charlie Brown bird or something idk, but much more along the lines of what you have, I don't want a cartoon bird basically but it's the only thing associated with Woodstock that I can think of

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@Hoss See I would get one but I've never had a good enough design like yours. That thing is pretty awesome

I grew up in a neighborhood called Woodstock, there was 10 of us or so that are all very close to this day. I've always wanted to get some sort of tattoo for that; centered around the Charlie Brown bird or something idk, but much more along the lines of what you have, I don't want a cartoon bird basically but it's the only thing associated with Woodstock that I can think of

it took a while to go from the idea of what i might want to an actual concept. a lot of looking around the internet as designs and getting some inspiration then just vomiting it all out to an artist who made a design for me.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You can always get a giant back piece chock full of dirty hippies, but that's probably worse than a cartoon bird.

You know you really want a tattoo of Frank cleaning out his nails with his toe knife though.

17 hours ago, Hoss said:

it took a while to go from the idea of what i might want to an actual concept. a lot of looking around the internet as designs and getting some inspiration then just vomiting it all out to an artist who made a design for me.

Yeah, that brings up a good point- not all tattoo artists are created the same... but if you find one whose work you dig, and you come to them with your ideas, part of the cost/fee is them drawing up ideas for you. Within reason, of course. I think there's a common misconception that you have to come to them with your design all figured out already, or pick a design out of their offered flash. But a good tat artist is more than a glorified permanent tracer and shader- they'll design something that hits the spot and works on whatever part of your body you choose. And they're worth the big money you pay for it, too, depending on what you're getting. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I just got one done...my first one...still healing but I will post it when its finished healing...

I'm a software engineer so I got something related to software engineering done...

Oh god, one of my friends is actually on all those bad tattoo/tattoo fail sites... he has the Linux penguin, a windows and a mac symbol with a celtic symbol made out of cables. It's... really bad. I just found it with a quick google search too... so as long as you didn't do that, you're golden. 

Same guy has some forearm tats of sysadmin symbols or somesuch and they actually look really good. He learned. 

Speaking of nerdy tats- one of my really good friends is a nuclear engineer and has a bunch of nuclear related and quantum physics equations up and down his arm. Looks pretty neat. Other arm is Goya's Saturn Devouring his Son and some Japanese demon masks. I love the Goya one. It's done beautifully. But yeah, he says a lot of the PhD super tech genius people he works with are covered in tattoos- I would've thought that was a field you "keep it covered up" for. Guess not! 

1 hour ago, josie said:

Yeah, that brings up a good point- not all tattoo artists are created the same... but if you find one whose work you dig, and you come to them with your ideas, part of the cost/fee is them drawing up ideas for you. Within reason, of course. I think there's a common misconception that you have to come to them with your design all figured out already, or pick a design out of their offered flash. But a good tat artist is more than a glorified permanent tracer and shader- they'll design something that hits the spot and works on whatever part of your body you choose. And they're worth the big money you pay for it, too, depending on what you're getting. 

my tattoo artist didn’t actually charge me for the design time but it was made clear that once the design was done the deposit was non-refundable which was helpful because i was certainly nervous for my first tat. she was incredibly cool and quick about it all. if i hadn’t moved from buffalo i probably would’ve went back.

another friend of mine does charge for designs but he’s in pittsburgh so i didn’t go to him (i actually think he might’ve quit tattooing at the new year).

a lot of people don’t look at tattoo artists as actual artists but all of the ones i follow will share their actual art from time to time and they’ll also show off some of them by giving discounts to people who go with their designs occasionally (but don’t rely on or ask for this).

1 hour ago, ... said:

Only a fool would not look at a tattoo artist as an actual artist. 

There's a looooot of fools out there! Plenty who assume it's only for edgy punk wannabe kitchen table scratchers who do drugs and say the good lord's name in vain... My mom's like "it's such a shame your friend is wasting her talent, hopefully she'll get a real job someday"... and I'm like, damn, she has health insurance and owns a house and is married and supports all of that and her husband who's kind of a deadbeat in the job dept... yeah, sure mom. Meanwhile I'm over here unmarried and renting because I can't afford any of that and I have 1 full and 2 part time jobs...  

I will say that many of my friends and now several of my students have become tattoo artists. If you're good (and illustrators usually are) and easy to work with, you can make a really good living. My one friend is making 4x what I am and travels around the world, lives in a huge gorgeous house. She only started a couple years ago- she's just so bloody good at it that she can make the big bucks/be in constant demand for her specific style and designs rather than sit in a shop waiting for walk-ins. 

That being said.. there are some super sh!tty tattoo artists out there. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

None on me.  Was not my thing. 

My two sons have them and that’s their business.  I guess more people 30 and under have them than ever.  I don’t like when girls cover their arms, shoulders, and legs with them.  Nothing beats the natural beauty of women ... their skin and hair and shape.  One or two nice designs is one thing but the purplish blue murals can distract.  No need to mess with perfection.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.