[OT] Tattoos

Hoss

I have the VIN number from my first car on the back of my left arm and a modified version of the Genesee Beer wheat logo on the back of my right arm. 

Both are representative of things that were meaningful to me, my first car and the freedom it symbolized, and the 10 years I lived in Rochester.

I don't think tattoos need to have meaning. Because I know so many tattoo artists, I think about it from the standpoint of patronizing an artist. Find talented artists who's work you appreciate. Even if it's really stupid. It's the same thing as buying a print at an art festival but instead of high gloss photo paper the medium is you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I have 16 myself a full sleeve currently under construction which is a Japanese sleeve oni mask, a demon riding a koi(Horiyoshi design) and a foo dog. Angle devil pinups on my shoulder blades. Pig and chicken on my feet Navy tattoo.l the other navy inspired tattoo is the Microsoft Help paper clip (acronym for people against people ever re-enlisting civilian life is preferred) i was also an IT. Venom on my shoulder and a girl with a gargoyle from my favorite painting. A full rib pirate ship bc since I was 18 I have moved 30 times. Also a chicken(c*ck)that hangs below my knee. A hummingbird in some snapdragons for my gram. Also have a bunch more in the works. 

3EA03206-6977-421B-A4C2-7E95904BDE5B.jpeg

F86DE56E-086E-4942-8AB7-B4B09FDA4190.jpeg

5015A068-5FAA-4920-9D55-F1909C381D81.jpeg

8EFF3631-2417-4774-8211-735FBF635787.jpeg

51445EFC-9EB2-4A24-A24B-5E840AD2D973.jpeg

5B573C1A-B0B2-4E33-97CB-E286D7BD2024.jpeg

5DF980DE-40D6-4362-96B5-4902E15D77C3.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

for those with sleeves: where did you start with your design? i’ve been considering a half sleeve for a while but just don’t see how i’d be filling the space 

Some people have a bunch of small tattoos as part of a theme, some have single large tattoos and others have a bunch of unrelated tattoos but try to tie them together physically instead of by theme. I chose the latter. 

this is the tattoo i got before leaving buffalo. bobcat for my high school, wolf for my college, buffalo for the first city i made a home in.

saving the other forearm for the potential of the half sleeve that i haven’t even kind of figured out yet.

i’ve already got “plans” for a few others but haven’t set up appointments yet.

B85A4D87-E378-479F-9CD2-34B5B067655E.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

for those with sleeves: where did you start with your design? i’ve been considering a half sleeve for a while but just don’t see how i’d be filling the space 

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Some people have a bunch of small tattoos as part of a theme, some have single large tattoos and others have a bunch of unrelated tattoos but try to tie them together physically instead of by theme. I chose the latter. 

Like Sabres0311 said those are the two options My Japanese one I sat down with the artist and had him design the whole thing at once. The benefit doing it this way is it all flows together. Downside is it takes a long time being incomplete and you can’t really change your mind.

The other option which I am doing is a piece wise where you get smaller ones till it is done. Benefits it is always “done” while you take your time and you can change your ideas as you go. Downside is getting it to flow together and it will look like a bunch of small tattoos. 

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I got one on my arm in the Navy, I was in Japan and drunk, barely remember it.... Showed up to the ship.... Sent to the captain.... 2 weeks of no pay and got grounded to the ship for a while for destruction of government property. 

Still don't regret it

Now have 5

were you the government property?

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

were you the government property?

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sure was 

You can actually get in trouble if you get a sunburn which inhibits your ability to execute your daily duties. At least that's what I got told one time. Luckily I just sit inside refreshing Sabrespace.

I got my first for my 40th birthday last year. I've been part of the DIY/punk/hardcore music scene in Glasgow for over 20 years and one of the few people I know who wasn't tattooed. Decided to go through the experience. I have a fist sized Ruderal Bumblebee on my calf now. (A tattoer I liked did some charity pieces for bee conservation). On the train just now but will add pic later. Probably going to go for a half sleeve next, due to work couldn't go  full sleeve.

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I have thought about it, just have never found anything that that I though, “Hey, I want this on my body for the rest of my life.”

This is where I am at.  Open to the idea, not a damned thing I’d put on there for the rest of my life.

Old fat guys and new ink doesn’t really work anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is where I am at.  Open to the idea, not a damned thing I’d put on there for the rest of my life.

Old fat guys and new ink doesn’t really work anyway.

I’m with you and swampD. I like the idea of it and I’ve been at the tattoo shop planning to get one but couldn’t make the commitment. When I think back I’m happy I didn’t because things changed and I would have regretted it. 

There’s two that I really wanted but would have had to keep myself in pretty good shape for it to look good. A large black out line of bills logo from collarbone wrapping around one side to top of hip. And Sabres(was flyers first. I know I know.) logo same way around other side. Or buffalo from Bills or Sabre’s logo comma NY Yankees logo

Edited by Kr632

Only 3 and all fairly well hidden. Several of my closest friends are tattoo artists, so they're done by people who've been a part of my life. 

Pilot's wings on hipbone (lifelong obsession with aviation), little armadillo on ribs (this one needs to get changed/covered up/detailed over as it's faded quite a lot) and cicada/peonies on ribs/side. 

The cicada/peonies have a lot of meaning I guess- I drew the cicada myself- it's the exact species from where I grew up- the scissor grinder cicada. It has a different call/scream than the others- it lilts, "sings", and it's the sound of late summer and home to me. I loved collecting their shells as a kid. The peonies- they were planted all over our house growing up. I love their smell and I think they're beautiful. Also, my best friend did the tattoo and she loves doing black/grey flower work, so it was a nice way to tie in her talents.

Some day, after I'm married so all those photos are out of the way, I'd like to add more. I'd love a quarter sleeve of black/grey detailed insects/bugs and flowers/leaves. I think they're really beautiful creatures - like living jewels- so millipedes that wrap around the arm, bees, moths, fireflies, various really weird rare things too. My parents absolutely HATE tattoos and send me emails all the time about people dying from ink poisoning, and people who regretted their ink, how you'll never get a job if you have them, how you're trashy and your life will fall apart with them, etc etc etc.

So in respect to them (and because I don't wanna hear about it), mine are hidden (unless I'm in a bikini which is pretty damn rare) and will remain so until they pass. 

58543621_652462355225556_8294568625902190592_n.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

You can actually get in trouble if you get a sunburn which inhibits your ability to execute your daily duties. At least that's what I got told one time. Luckily I just sit inside refreshing Sabrespace.

My dad had that happen in Vietnam, he fell asleep on the flight deck and got so sunburned that he couldn't do his job (he was a hull tech, so a welder basically). When I was in, you could get a 3x3 tat as long as it wasn't visible without clearing it with the CO. Mine was 7x4 on my arm and as visible as day lol 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My dad had that happen in Vietnam, he fell asleep on the flight deck and got so sunburned that he couldn't do his job (he was a hull tech, so a welder basically). When I was in, you could get a 3x3 tat as long as it wasn't visible without clearing it with the CO. Mine was 7x4 on my arm and as visible as day lol 

I haven’t gotten any since the current order came out, 2010 I think. I got the wife’s name on my forearm and we are still married so it’s a win win.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

In 2016 the Navy now says have fun only rules are none on your face and you can have a 1x1 on your neck or behind the ear. Also nothing offensive, gang related, drugs, or violent. 

I have one, just got it last summer. The picture is from right after the artist finished. I started with some really complex designs and slowly winnowed it down to what I got done. I basically did the design myself by mashing up some silohuettes of mountains and the Buffalo skyline I found online. I went back and forth on which way to orient it on my arm, but I knew I wanted the skyline to be blue and the mountains to be green, and I liked how with the blue it looked like the skyline was reflecting in a lake.

I'll probably get more. My sister and I (she already has a couple tats and has plans to get more) have discussed getting sibling tattoos, but we need to convince my brother.

I'd love to get one on my fore-arm, and where I work now that'd be fine, but I do always worry a bit about future jobs. My arms are stupid long and shirts don't fit right, so I rarely wear long sleeves that aren't rolled up.

tat.jpg

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, bobs0108 said:

I have 16 myself a full sleeve currently under construction which is a Japanese sleeve oni mask, a demon riding a koi(Horiyoshi design) and a foo dog. Angle devil pinups on my shoulder blades. Pig and chicken on my feet Navy tattoo.l the other navy inspired tattoo is the Microsoft Help paper clip (acronym for people against people ever re-enlisting civilian life is preferred) i was also an IT. Venom on my shoulder and a girl with a gargoyle from my favorite painting. A full rib pirate ship bc since I was 18 I have moved 30 times. Also a chicken(c*ck)that hangs below my knee. A hummingbird in some snapdragons for my gram. Also have a bunch more in the works. 

F86DE56E-086E-4942-8AB7-B4B09FDA4190.jpeg

those are all great, but i especially love clippy haha

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

this is the tattoo i got before leaving buffalo. bobcat for my high school, wolf for my college, buffalo for the first city i made a home in.

saving the other forearm for the potential of the half sleeve that i haven’t even kind of figured out yet.

i’ve already got “plans” for a few others but haven’t set up appointments yet.

B85A4D87-E378-479F-9CD2-34B5B067655E.jpeg

That is an awesome one, Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.