Dahlin is a Calder Finalist

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Along with Petterson and Binnington

Happily surprised.

Thought that Heiskanen would pass him.  Didn't think he should, but expected he would.

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Don't agree with Bennington being the at all.

Why not?  Binnington completely changed the Blues fortunes.

IMHO, he should win it. 

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Happily surprised.

Thought that Heiskanen would pass him.  Didn't think he should, but expected he would.

Why not?  Binnington completely changed the Blues fortunes.

IMHO, he should win it. 

I thought the Calder was for the rookie of the year. Bennington hasn't played enough in my opinion. Yeah, he's be great but has he even played half the season?

41 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I thought the Calder was for the rookie of the year. Bennington hasn't played enough in my opinion. Yeah, he's be great but has he even played half the season?

He played in 32 games (as a goalie, they don't play 82 games).  He's also played all their playoff games to date.  That's easily enough to qualify.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He played in 32 games (as a goalie, they don't play 82 games).  He's also played all their playoff games to date.  That's easily enough to qualify.

Playoff games have no bearing on the award though, of course. 

Happy to see Dahlin get his nomination. He more than deserved it. 

• Like (+1) 1

And be that as it may.. Binnington is almost the sole reason the Blues succeeded this year. 

That kind of impact can't go unrewarded.  Dahlin, for all his talent, didn't get the Sabres into the playoffs or even close sadly.

Good to get in the final 3.  All deserving players.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

And be that as it may.. Binnington is almost the sole reason the Blues succeeded this year. 

That kind of impact can't go unrewarded.  Dahlin, for all his talent, didn't get the Sabres into the playoffs or even close sadly.

a goalie has more control than a single defenseman or forward would 

Jordan Binnington played 28 games in the AHL last year, 32 the year before.

Seven years after being drafted he wasn’t even a #1 in the minors. A few years ago, he was basically Jonas Johansson.

Why can’t stuff like this happen to us?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

This isn't true. 

The Blues are a good hockey team with many significant, valuable parts, regardless of how much Binnington was a catalyst of their turn around. They were expected to be good from the get go and got off to a terrible start. They are a very good team, with many contributing to their success after Binnington did indeed provide that spark. 

---

To me this is one of those years where it's a rock-paper-scissors type deal regarding the Calder finalists. A solid, compelling argument can reasonably be made for all 3 to win the award outright, regardless of who will actually win. 

With it being a forward, defenseman, and goalie, each provides a different yet compelling argument. The nomination itself means a lot in a such a deep class. 

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jordan Binnington played 28 games in the AHL last year, 32 the year before.

Seven years after being drafted he wasn’t even a #1 in the minors. A few years ago, he was basically Jonas Johansson.

Why can’t stuff like this happen to us?

True, but, I can't summon the energy to be much disappointed that it doesn't, when I imagine what Dahlin is going to look like after those same 7 post-draft years are applied. 

22 hours ago, Thorny said:

Playoff games have no bearing on the award though, of course. 

Happy to see Dahlin get his nomination. He more than deserved it. 

Correct, playoffs don't factor in.  But he had no control over how far down Yeo considered him on the depth chart and his only getting 32 RS games shouldn't count against him either.  And had the Blues signed a legit NHLer as the backup rather than Johnson, this kid likely wouldn't have gotten a shot possibly until he was as old as Thomas when he got his 1st chance.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Correct, playoffs don't factor in.  But he had no control over how far down Yeo considered him on the depth chart and his only getting 32 RS games shouldn't count against him either.  And had the Blues signed a legit NHLer as the backup rather than Johnson, this kid likely wouldn't have gotten a shot possibly until he was as old as Thomas when he got his 1st chance.

Well, games played definitely has to count at some point, it just depends where you draw the line. If he didn't play until the final 10 games of the season, and had 10 straight shut outs, he shouldn't nor would he win the Calder. 

Whether 32 is enough depends on who you ask. I don't have a firm opinion on it one way or the other. 

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well, games played definitely has to count at some point, it just depends where you draw the line. If he didn't play until the final 10 games of the season, and had 10 straight shut outs, he shouldn't nor would he win the Calder. 

Whether 32 is enough depends on who you ask. I don't have a firm opinion on it one way or the other. 

32 is enough that he won't be a rookie again next year.  Kid deserves it.  Doubt he beats out Petterson but would be very surprised should he not  beat out Dahlin.  (Though I expect Dahlin to have the best career of the 3.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.