Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen: Successful Surgery

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Why do you talk down to people? No reason to be such a douche bag.  Obviously with your 29000 post you have no life but come on man

Because you are not dealing with facts to make claims. UPL and Ullmark were not under the care of the Sabres training staff in the lead up to their surgery. 

3 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Why do you talk down to people? No reason to be such a douche bag.  Obviously with your 29000 post you have no life but come on man

I would like to note that you made it personal. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Everyone should calm down. He wasn't going to be a Sabre in October anyways. 

Exactly. Not only that, but he’s young so he’ll most likely recover and heal wonderfully. A lot of goalies go thru this. Nothing alarming with this news.

He is most likely slated to be the Amerks backup next season. So he’ll be ready to sit on the bench for most games in October.

It is most likely surgery to fix hip impingement which appears to becoming  more common among goalies due to increasing use of the butterfly style.  

I’m not concerned and if they caught it this early then that’s better than if he started to see regular duty with the Sabres when he needed surgery 

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Exactly. Not only that, but he’s young so he’ll most likely recover and heal wonderfully. A lot of goalies go thru this. Nothing alarming with this news.

He is most likely slated to be the Amerks backup next season. So he’ll be ready to sit on the bench for most games in October.

Is this right?  Not saying it's isn't but anything to back that up?

I’ll try to find something. But in the meantime ... i guess I just pay attention to goalies in different leagues. Not just the NHL. And I read/hear about 3-4 goalies a year going thru various hip surgeries. Especially in the off seasons. Especially butterfly goalies. It’s not that uncommon or alarming. 

Edited by Zamboni

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

wear and tear injury. Was hurting much of this past season. Didn't practice as much later in the year.

Wow, wasn't his last game like a 60+ save performance?  Sudburry lost something like 1-0 or 2-1 in double or triple OT and apparently he was brilliant the whole game.  Makes it that much more impressive if he was playing through pain and did that.

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Just wondering why Johansson would not be in Rochester? He played extremely well in Cinci and played well in Rochester when they brought him up. 

Because there is zero chance the Sabres let the Amerks go into the season with two unproven prospect goalies coming off major injuries. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Could they be worse than Wedgewood and Wilcox?

Wedgewood was one of the best goalies in the league until the last month or so. Has a history of injuries and I’m betting he played hurt and wore down. 

But regardless, the organization is going to want to pair a veteran with UPL. That’s the bottom line. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Wedgewood was one of the best goalies in the league until the last month or so. Has a history of injuries and I’m betting he played hurt and wore down. 

But regardless, the organization is going to want to pair a veteran with UPL. That’s the bottom line. 

I wonder if the new Sabres HC would have any input on the coaching position in Rochester.

I certainly didn’t get a sense Wedgwood was one of the best in the league this year.

And I have a problem with him or a similar veteran goalie being brought in as the de facto number one. I would be good with letting UPL and Johansen share the crease for the first 30 games, then making a deal if they fail to grasp the opportunity.

The one guy has been cooking look enough that he needs to show whether he has it, or he doesn’t. The other is supposed to be the best goaltending prospect in the world. 

A Wedgewood type would be more of an obstacle to their development than a boost.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I certainly didn’t get a sense Wedgwood was one of the best in the league this year.

And I have a problem with him or a similar veteran goalie being brought in as the de facto number one. I would be good with letting UPL and Johansen share the crease for the first 30 games, then making a deal if they fail to grasp the opportunity.

The one guy has been cooking look enough that he needs to show whether he has it, or he doesn’t. The other is supposed to be the best goaltending prospect in the world. 

A Wedgewood type would be more of an obstacle to their development than a boost.

He was top 15 and even top 10 in the league in save percentage and was close to the lead in wins and shout outs at one point. Then he got hurt, and was never the same. Seemed to wear down. 

Anyway, I’d say you’re dead wrong. They absolutely will want a vet to work with UPL. Kris Baker said it was “mandatory” on twitter for them to do so. 

Anyone know if it's this?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269719037_Characterization_of_Symptomatic_Hip_Impingement_in_Butterfly_Ice_Hockey_Goalies

I thought I had read somewhere (back in the Miller era?) that some butterfly goalies have surgery as a preventative measure to adjust how their hips work so they aren't constantly damaged.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t doubt the Sabres will bring a vet in, but I would only do that if I thought Johansen has no chance.

Johansson is depth. He’s not a realistic option to to play in the AHL as anything more than an injury replacement. The Sabres, two years in a row, had him below terrible Adam Wilcox. Johansson has pedestrian numbers in the ECHL and he’s been a mixed bag in the AHL. Not someone you pair with a rookie unless you intend to have goaltending problems force you to make a midseason move. 

Not to mention neither are realistic 3rd goalie options for Buffalo. UPL isn’t sitting on the bench in Buffalo as a back up if someone gets hurt, nor is Johansson. You need a guy who can fill in. 

Edited by Amerks8796

My own view (if I was GM) has always been that you should draft at least one goalie in every draft. Not always top rounds, but you need so many goalies in the system you have to loan them out to find room for them to play. They are funny creatures and take weird and sometimes twisted development paths. You gamble.

JBot needs to start drafting more goalies, that is all. 

8 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I wonder if the new Sabres HC would have any input on the coaching position in Rochester.

Highly doubt it.

Should a coach w/ a radically different system/philosophy be brought in, that could effect Taylor's situation but that would still be up to Botterill/Sexton.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.