Buffalo Asks Permission: Jacques Martin

WildCard

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot needs to be asking himself will this new coach make us better?  I’m not sure Martin will accomplish that. 

Is he a good teacher, communicator, does he play vets over kids, does he develop kids,  do his team’s get better during the season and year over year?  

I don’t think Martin checks any of these boxes other then playing vets over kids, which is exactly what we don’t need. 

Imho hire Keefe.  He sure out coached Taylor.

He's coached in the OHL, so he does have a background developing young players.  He's coached teams with a pretty good mix of young and old.  There is two boxes checked.

I don't really care what name the coach uses for his signature.  I do care that whoever is signed is given explicit instruction that the timeframe to win games is immediately.

• Like (+1) 3

When did it become so fashionable to use the word "communicator" when discussing hockey coaches? 

Is there any team oriented endeavor that doesn't require good "communication?" 

I think this word is code these days for "knows how to coddle the prima donna kids who expect to have their ****** sucked.

As compared to the old school approach where the coach told the players the way it was and didn't care about them at all.

We've had 2 guys in here who allegedly know how to be new age coaches and can coddle children players, and it hasn't worked well so far.

Maybe we need less communication.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

When did it become so fashionable to use the word "communicator" when discussing hockey coaches? 

I think this word is code these days for "knows how to coddle the prima donna kids who expect to have their ****** sucked.

As compared to the old school approach where the coach told the players the way it was and didn't care about them at all.

We've had 2 guys in here who allegedly know how to be new age coaches and can coddle children players, and it hasn't worked well so far.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc1b80a524f4f6f32

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc1b8153959527a45

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc1b8b37a376d3336

Edited by LGR4GM
humor
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Maybe he will be the Marv Levy of the Sabres. Who thought he would be successful in 1986?

I just have no idea if this guy is good or not. Another Pittsburgh guy? But he is older, maybe he will be our Barry Trotz? Maybe he will be fired after the first month. If we could look into the seeds of time and see which needs grows, which one withers...

Oh, and I love the cat!

Edited by bob_sauve28

19 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

This image from that wivb article isn't that flattering. Mike  Sullivan doing the coaching while Martin stands there with a dumb look on his face & his hands in his pockets: image.thumb.png.e71239cd17d93f993426b1ae93e518c5.png

Kinda like Housley standing there the entire game with his arms folded, communicating with no one, and maintaining that know nothing grin on his face.

48 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe he will be the Marv Levy of the Sabres. Who thought he would be successful in 1986?

I just have no idea if this guy is good or not. Another Pittsburgh guy? But he is older, maybe he will be our Barry Trotz? Maybe he will be fired after the first month. If we could look into the seeds of time and see which needs grows, which one withers...

Oh, and I love the cat!

We really need for Botterill to load the roster with an unbelievable amount of talent like Bill Polian did for that to happen.  

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is tired and clearly written out of ignorance. Have you never had a boss that wasn’t clear about wanted to be done? Have you ever played a sport where the system wasn’t clear or the coach was all over the place? Have you ever been in coaching circles or coached any sport and seen how terrible some are at communicating? It has nothing to do with coddling. I’ve never coddled one of my athletes and I’m still a “communicator.” This idea of “old school” is still alive and well, only there’s a lot more that goes into a game plan so you’ve got to communicate exactly how you want things played. There’s still my way or the highway, only the my way is much more defined.

All this millennial ***** is exactly that...*****.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Maybe you just don't understand what the word means.

Or maybe you are wrong about the 'old school' approach.

Maybe the recent coaches we had didn't try to coddle the players and we just didn't have the talent or the right coach.

But you're probably right, we need less communication. Brilliant.

20 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

This image from that wivb article isn't that flattering. Mike  Sullivan doing the coaching while Martin stands there with a dumb look on his face & his hands in his pockets: image.thumb.png.e71239cd17d93f993426b1ae93e518c5.png

Even if you don't like the idea of Martin as our head coach, to pick one picture like this to justify your reasoning is just plain ignorant. Maybe the head coach wanted to make a point to the player, is it that hard to imagine?

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Isn't the communicator thing partly about Lehner? Hously didn't know the guy needed help. Just throwing that out there 

I think it was more about Jack/Reinhart/Risto. Listening to podcasts, people in the sport say the younger guys are so much different now, you need to communicate instead of just being their boss

43 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK.  Let's stop calling each other "ignorant" in here please.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Even if you don't like the idea of Martin as our head coach, to pick one picture like this to justify your reasoning is just plain ignorant. Maybe the head coach wanted to make a point to the player, is it that hard to imagine?

Even though the statement was correct.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

I think you mean assistant coach.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I think it was more about Jack/Reinhart/Risto. Listening to podcasts, people in the sport say the younger guys are so much different now, you need to communicate instead of just being their boss

Maybe they are just younger now? The NHL and all sports really are getting younger and younger. Remember Tyler Myers needing big brother Tallinder? 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

In my day, a boss was a giant *#&$%# that if you contradicted him you'd get run out of town, and we LIKED IT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.