Buffalo Asks Permission: Jacques Martin

WildCard

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

Isn't Sullivan the HC here?

yep. My whole point was that it just wasnt a flattering picture. Was just a reaction to it.

Kind of my reaction to hearing his name as our top choice atm.

Suppose we could do worse though

Edited by MillerVaive
  • Like (+1) 1

Here’s a thing about Martin: he’s always had a rep as a good technical coach and he has two recent Stanley Cup rings. We have no evidence showing the game has passed him by.

But Botterill talked about a leader, with presence and communication skills. Does he really think that’s Jacques Martin?

I'd have to think that if the choice for Martin is between us & Ottawa, that he would go back to Ottawa.

There's not only the familiarity with Melnyk & the franchise as a whole, but dude was born there & calls that place home.

If the choice is between coaching for the Sabres or coaching for your home city, you'd think Ottawa would be his dream job so to speak & a chance to not only turn that franchise around again but to even right whatever wrongs happened last time.

We can definitely offer more money for his services than Ottawa can however & a roster with more potential. But i'm not excited at the possibility

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Here’s a thing about Martin: he’s always had a rep as a good technical coach and he has two recent Stanley Cup rings. We have no evidence showing the game has passed him by.

But Botterill talked about a leader, with presence and communication skills. Does he really think that’s Jacques Martin?

No idea how any of it will work out given the temperament of any given coach, but my goodness would I love a fired up hockey team for 60 minutes to show up on a regular basis.

Jack doesn't seem from what little I know of him to be the coach to get that out of this bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hey, Martin has won in the playoffs.

Just once since 2003 and just seven series out of 19, but he’s won.

And he has made the playoffs as a head coach two more times the past 13 years than Housley ever did.

Seriously, Martin is a 66-year-old who has been a professional coach for 35 years and on an NHL bench for most of the past 30. He’s seen it all and is probably a lot smarter and more capable than we give him credit for.

And he might be the least inspiring hire I can think of.

Botterill is a man with a haircut (and strategies) you can set your watch to. - Grandpa Simpson

Mine Pittsburgh, draft college-bound prospects and Europeans, and "Rochester first". 

Jury still out. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

I'd have to think that if the choice for Martin is between us & Ottawa, that he would go back to Ottawa.

There's not only the familiarity with Melnyk & the franchise as a whole, but dude was born there & calls that place home.

If the choice is between coaching for the Sabres or coaching for your home city, you'd think Ottawa would be his dream job so to speak & a chance to not only turn that franchise around again but to even right whatever wrongs happened last time.

We can definitely offer more money for his services than Ottawa can however & a roster with more potential. But i'm not excited at the possibility

It's not the worst thing in the world if Jacque Martin goes back to Ottawa, because if he does go back to that nose-down slow motion plane crash, he must have really wanted to.  Melnyk is dismantling that entire franchise, and anybody who sees that and thinks they gotta get in on that deserves the outcome.

Now if it were some first-time NHL coach who needs exposure or a break, I get it.  But an NHL coach with the better part of 17 seasons under their belt doesn't need that.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Botterill is a man with a haircut (and strategies) you can set your watch to. - Grandpa Simpson

Mine Pittsburgh, draft college-bound prospects and Europeans, and "Rochester first". 

Jury still out. 

Yeah what’s next?  Trade Eichel for two of Minnesota’s 3rd line guys and their draft pick? 

In case there was anyone who hadn't put it together yet, Botterill was Assistant GM of the Penguins when Jacque Martin was hired as an Assistant Coach by Head Coach Dan Bylsma in 2013.  Martin was moved to Senior Adviser of Hockey Operations when Mike Johnston was hired as Head Coach in 2014 and then reassigned to Assistant Coach when Mike Sullivan was hired as Head Coach in 2015, where he's been since.  Penguins won the Cup with Sullivan/Martin in 2016 and 2017.  Botterill, then Pens' Associate GM, was hired to the Sabres as GM in 2017.

They spent four years together in the Pens' front office.  It's no surprise Botterill would give him at least some consideration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hasn't been a head coach since 2012. Penguins Assistant. Made it to the conference finals once as a head coach but seems lose in the first round A LOT. 

As opposed to the past four Sabres head coaches?

Martin seems underwhelming but I'd be ok with him if he agreed to bring Gronborg on as his assistant coach. Learning behind a head coach for a couple seasons who has been through it all over several decades would be a good way to teach him the ropes of the North American system.

Not sure why JBOT has a Jacques itch for Martin.  Another retread.  Tells me JBOT is running scared for his job and doesn't really know what to look for in a coach except experience.  I'd rather have Taylor, Keefe, Groulx, etc.  than another retread.  I do think, however, a retread would be a valuable assistant.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Jbot needs to be asking himself will this new coach make us better?  I’m not sure Martin will accomplish that. 

Is he a good teacher, communicator, does he play vets over kids, does he develop kids,  do his team’s get better during the season and year over year?  

I don’t think Martin checks any of these boxes other then playing vets over kids, which is exactly what we don’t need. 

Imho hire Keefe.  He sure out coached Taylor.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.