Round Two: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It’s the additional 10 players he would have to select from and the development pathway from the CHL to the NHL is more defined for players taken in the first round, so Botterill using that on a CHLer would not surprise me. 

And 17-19 is the range that Bobby Brink, Cam York and Moritz Seider will be available, the latter being a 6’4” RHD German Defenseman not exactly undersized. 

Even Jame, who went nuclear every chance he had on Botterill, stated that he loved Botterill’s 2017 Draft Class. 

All seven of them will most likely end up signing ELCs with the Sabres, something that rarely happens with the NHL Draft 

If Cam York is there, run, don't walk but run to the podium. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What undersized euro has Botterill drafted? Especially in rounds 1 or 2? 

How can he prove it otherwise if he hasn't done it? 

Uh,  Pretty much his entire 2017 draft was undersized players and mostly European.  Similar pattern in 2018. 

NHL Skater Stats NHL Goalie Stats
Year Rd. Overall Player Pos Amateur Team Lg Draft GP G A PTS +/- PIM GP W L T/O SV% GAA
2018 1 1 Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda (Sweden) NHL Entry 82 9 35 44 -13 34            
2018 2 32 Mattias Samuelsson D USA U-18 (U.S. NTDP) NHL Entry                        
2018 4 94 Matej Pekar C Muskegon (USHL) NHL Entry                        
2018 4 117 Linus Lindstrand Cronholm D Malmo Jr. (Sweden-Jr.) NHL Entry                        
2018 5 125 Miska Kukkonen D Ilves Jr. (Finland-Jr.) NHL Entry                        
2018 7 187 William Worge Kreu D Linkoping Jr. (Sweden-Jr.) NHL Entry                        
Year Rd. Overall Player Pos Amateur Team Lg Draft GP G A PTS +/- PIM GP W L T/O SV% GAA
2017 1 8 Casey Mittelstadt C Eden Prairie (High-MN) NHL Entry 83 13 17 30 -18 12            
2017 2 37 Marcus Davidsson C Djurgarden (Sweden) NHL Entry                        
2017 2 54 Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen G HPK Jr. (Finland-Jr.) NHL Entry                        
2017 3 89 Oskari Laaksonen D Ilves Jr. (Finland-Jr.) NHL Entry                        
2017 4 99 Jacob Bryson D Providence (H-East) NHL Entry                        
2017 7 192 Linus Weissbach LW Tri-City (USHL) NHL Entry                      

The only undersized euro from 2017 is Weissbach, a 7th round pick. There isn't 1 in  2018, so I ask again, what makes you think Botterill will take an undersized euro in the first?

Edited by LGR4GM

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So we draft in a better position to pick an undersized European player who at best  becomes a marginal Amerk in two years?    

That what I feel is the most probable outcome until Bots shows me otherwise.  

Near as I can see, he’s drafted 1 undersized European (Weissbach, in the 7th round) but don’t let that interfere with your opinion.

His high picks are two Swedes, a Finn and two Americans - two average, one tall and likely to fill out, and two huge.

Edited by dudacek

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The only undersized euro from 2017 is Weissbach, a 7th round pick. There isn't 1 in  2018, so I ask again, what makes you think Botterill will take an undersized euro in the first?

Do you have to be such a nit picker?   He drafted 9 European players out of 12 picks over two years.  I used the term undersized and that must lack the precision you need?  

He had two first round picks, a small American and Average sized European.  So you are right as usual, I’ll give you that so you can feel good about yourself.  

Edited by Pimlach

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Do you have to be such a nit picker?   He drafted 9 European players out of 12 picks over two years.  The majority are on the small size in my opinion.  I used the term undersized and that must lack the precision you need?  

He had two first round picks, a small American and Average sized European.  So you are right as usual, I’ll give you that so you can feel good about yourself.  

In an effort to move the conversation forward, define what you mean by undersized/small. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I confused the size of Mittelstadt (an American) and the last two picks in 2017, both which are very much undersized but one is an American.  So I looked at the the 2017 draft as one with many small players, which half of them are, but two were actually North American. 

The other picks are not undersized, but 75% European in two years.  

Add Pilut an undersized defensemen, now Routsalainen (kind of small) and you get the trend 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Casey Mittelstadt is listed as 6’1” 202 pounds, Rasmus Dahlin at 6’3 190.

Yes, amazing.  Mitts looks more like 5’9” and 205.  .  But he showed some edge to his game. 

Stars got a whistle on a loose puck. 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And another one don’t bounce Buffalo’s way.

Pick guaranteed to be 30 or 31.

Only if the Sharks win.

If they lose tomorrow, and Blues lose in the conference finals, it''ll be 28 or 29.

Actually, it would have to be 28 because Boston and Carolina both finished ahead of the Blues. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.