Round Two: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Why does Buffalo always get screwed? Honestly, we have won one lottery and besides that have only ever had the worst possible scenarios play out practically.

Burn in hell Dallas for failing us.

I hope the Blues are wrecked in the conference finals.

This is unreal, no? It's like the Buffalo Sabres fanbase has truly entered Hockey Hell. And so now who gets to win the Cup? Is it Kane's team? How about O'Reilly's team? Or how about Skinner's former team and the guys who stole the Cup from us in 2006? Or how about another annoying Boston team winning a championship?

This had nothing to do with Buffaluck. It does however, have everything to do with Botterill's GM decisions. Unless our GM can pull off a miracle, and using his decisions to hope for that brings 0 encouragement, this team is most likely to finish bottom 10 yet again.

Just a complete embarrassment at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

This had nothing to do with Buffaluck. It does however, have everything to do with Botterill's GM decisions. Unless our GM can pull off a miracle, and using his decisions to hope for that brings 0 encouragement, this team is most likely to finish bottom 10 yet again.

Just a complete embarrassment at this point.

Agree ...  I’ll expand it to Pegula, his decisions have lead to 8 years of hades.  

Continuous changes and turmoil.   Look at all the ex Sabres thriving in the playoffs.   That was a Tyler Fedun out there for Dallas, he could not make our top 7, remember?   And here are looking for another coach.   

Buffalo is not getting screwed because Kane, ROR, the Canes, and the Bruins are in. It’s not a jinx or bad luck.   They stink because of their own decisions, mostly on the Pegulas who have screwed this up from the start by hiring the wrong people.  

I get that for most teams drafting 19th is better than 29th but let’ not think we are untitled.  Its not bad luck it’s bad decisions.  

ROR > Berglund+Sobotka +Thompson+ Draft Pick.  Terrible trade and most of us knew it from the start. The trade was based on hope and little real value.  We hope Berglund can play 2C   We hope Tage develops.  We hope the Blues decline to get a good pick   

How  many more games do we win this past season with ROR at 2C?   A lot more than we actually did most likely. 

Sabres are still far away from playoffs.  ROR knew what he was doing to get out.  He is smart.  

Bruins fire a Stanley Cup winning coach and trade some very good players for picks - and yet here they are because of good decisions on picks, player development, and hiring another good coach.  Not because of Buffalos’ bad luck. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Why does Buffalo always get screwed? Honestly, we have won one lottery and besides that have only ever had the worst possible scenarios play out practically.

Burn in hell Dallas for failing us.

I hope the Blues are wrecked in the conference finals.

The lottery we won was a very fortunate event for the franchise.  The complete opposite of getting screwed.  The rest of the league got screwed on that one because the most likely outcome was another team winning.

The ones we "lost" were the result of the odds playing out as you'd expect them to. That's not getting screwed. Picking 12 spots higher in the first round would have been nice of course, but it's certainly nothing to lament to a great extent and it's not what I'd add to the Buffalo always gets screwed list.

No goal was Buffalo getting screwed

Leclair "scoring" through the side of the net was Buffalo getting screwed.

Losing 4 of our top 6 D in the ECF was an extremely rare and untimely occurrence that screwed us.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

How  many more games do we win this past season with ROR at 2C?   A lot more than we actually did most likely. 

Sabres are still far away from playoffs.  ROR knew what he was doing to get out.  He is smart.

If 2C is our greatest need, these two statements contradict each other.  If we'd won "a lot more" games we would have made the playoffs.

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So we draft in a better position to pick an undersized European player who at best  becomes a marginal Amerk in two years?    

That what I feel is the most probable outcome until Bots shows me otherwise.  

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Do you have to be such a nit picker?   He drafted 9 European players out of 12 picks over two years.  I used the term undersized and that must lack the precision you need?  

He had two first round picks, a small American and Average sized European.  So you are right as usual, I’ll give you that so you can feel good about yourself.  

I want to address this. 

First, your entire first ***** post was about Botterill picking an undersized Euro. You even double down on it with the 2nd line of "until Bots shows me otherwise". So not only was I not nitpicking, I was looking at something you said and trying to ascertain why you said it because it was not based in fact. 

Second, you don't get to just post something not based on any facts and get to make me the bad guy. I call out crap like this because this forum gets read by a lot of people with less knowledge than some of us and when they see that garbage of "Botterill drafts undersized Euros" go unchallenged, they will naturally believe it because why wouldn't they? Sorry I want people posting on this to use facts and get stuff right... my bad? Yes I was right in this instance (who cares!?) because I didn't make some complete garbage up and post it with literally no evidence to back it up and then get all pissy when I got called out on it... so again, sorry? It didn't "lack precision" it was flat out wrong. 

Third, let's break this down. I would say that 6'1" is a good average size for an NHL player and that 195lbs is probably your average weight. +/- 2inches for height, and +/- 10lbs for weight. Average weight of the Sabres was 196.95 lbs and I am not doing the conversions for height but at rough glance it seems to be about 6'1" if you average. Fun fact, the Boston Bruins weigh 195.26. So we can roughly establish that 195 and 6'1" is average. With the +/- that means that undersized would be 5'10" and under 185lbs. Now we can't take weight into consideration for 18yr old prospects because, and I know this will shock you, they gain weight between the ages of 18 and 22 when they join the league. But let us do this anyways...

2018:

Dahlin, 6'3" 190lbs - Euro

Samuelsson, 6'4" 217lbs - US

Pekar, 6' 175lbs - Euro 

Cronholm, 6'1" 172lbs - Euro

Worge-Kreu, 6'4" 163lbs - Euro

2017:

Mitts, 6'1" 202lbs - US

Davidsson, 5'11" 192lbs - Euro

Luukkonen, 6'5", 214lbs - Euro

Laaksonen, 6'2" 165lbs - Euro

Bryson, 5'9" 175lbs - US

Weissbach, 5'9" 165lbs - Euro

So over the course of 11 picks, Botterill has selected 1 European player under 5'11" and one at 5'11" (I have seen Davidsson listed at 6' on Elite Prospects). Out of the remaining players, 5 were at or above 6'2". The math works out to 18% of players drafted were undersized, 9% were European and undersized.  This is in comparison to 45% of players being above average size and every single 1 of those 5 being European. In addition using 6'1" as the cutoff, 64% of the picks have been at or over the average size. 82% of the players picked have been above my definition of undersized. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to address this. 

First, your entire first ***** post was about Botterill picking an undersized Euro. You even double down on it with the 2nd line of "until Bots shows me otherwise". So not only was I not nitpicking, I was looking at something you said and trying to ascertain why you said it because it was not based in fact. 

Second, you don't get to just post something not based on any facts and get to make me the bad guy. I call out crap like this because this forum gets read by a lot of people with less knowledge than some of us and when they see that garbage of "Botterill drafts undersized Euros" go unchallenged, they will naturally believe it because why wouldn't they? Sorry I want people posting on this to use facts and get stuff right... my bad? Yes I was right in this instance (who cares!?) because I didn't make some complete garbage up and post it with literally no evidence to back it up and then get all pissy when I got called out on it... so again, sorry? It didn't "lack precision" it was flat out wrong. 

Third, let's break this down. I would say that 6'1" is a good average size for an NHL player and that 195lbs is probably your average weight. +/- 2inches for height, and +/- 10lbs for weight. Average weight of the Sabres was 196.95 lbs and I am not doing the conversions for height but at rough glance it seems to be about 6'1" if you average. Fun fact, the Boston Bruins weigh 195.26. So we can roughly establish that 195 and 6'1" is average. With the +/- that means that undersized would be 5'10" and under 185lbs. Now we can't take weight into consideration for 18yr old prospects because, and I know this will shock you, they gain weight between the ages of 18 and 22 when they join the league. But let us do this anyways...

2018:

Dahlin, 6'3" 190lbs - Euro

Samuelsson, 6'4" 217lbs - US

Pekar, 6' 175lbs - Euro 

Cronholm, 6'1" 172lbs - Euro

Worge-Kreu, 6'4" 163lbs - Euro

2017:

Mitts, 6'1" 202lbs - US

Davidsson, 5'11" 192lbs - Euro

Luukkonen, 6'5", 214lbs - Euro

Laaksonen, 6'2" 165lbs - Euro

Bryson, 5'9" 175lbs - US

Weissbach, 5'9" 165lbs - Euro

So over the course of 11 picks, Botterill has selected 1 European player under 5'11" and one at 5'11" (I have seen Davidsson listed at 6' on Elite Prospects). Out of the remaining players, 5 were at or above 6'2". The math works out to 18% of players drafted were undersized, 9% were European and undersized.  This is in comparison to 45% of players being above average size and every single 1 of those 5 being European. In addition using 6'1" as the cutoff, 64% of the picks have been at or over the average size. 82% of the players picked have been above my definition of undersized. 

I already acknowledged on this board that I was thinking back to 2017 and I was thinking of Weissbach, Bryson (who is not European),  and Davidsson (who is smaller but not undersized).

I already acknowledged that in that 2017 class, I was wrong on Mitts - I thought he was much smaller than what he is listed at.

I already acknowledged that I included Pilut and Routsalainen in my opinion as well - although they are not draft choices, they are smaller players, undersized in my opinion. 

So I made comment about wanting the Blues to win and caring less about the second number 1 pick, mostly because I have think the pick is coin toss anyway.  I think that Bots favors drafting European players (which is definitely has and cannot be disputed to this point) and I think he picks a lot of smaller/skill players - which your  research shows he does not.  I don't think my opinion was garbage as you say, just because it was not 100% accurate, especially factoring in Pilut and Routsalanien which swayed my comment. 

Maybe some readers here can understand why I came up with that?   You cannot because you seek a high degree of accuracy,  perhaps more so than most?  

Thank you for your informative analysis on the height and weight of all of Bots picks.  Thank you for clarifying that you are the policemen here   Like an Internet Superhero you protect all members on this board who might read something on the internet that is not 100% true (GASP), or maybe read an opinion you disagree with  (GASP again).  

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I already acknowledged on this board that I was thinking back to 2017 and I was thinking of Weissbach, Bryson (who is not European),  and Davidsson (who is smaller but not undersized).

I already acknowledged that in that 2017 class, I was wrong on Mitts - I thought he was much smaller than what he is listed at.

I already acknowledged that I included Pilut and Routsalainen in my opinion as well - although they are not draft choices, they are smaller players, undersized in my opinion. 

So I made comment about wanting the Blues to win and caring less about the second number 1 pick, mostly because I have think the pick is coin toss anyway.  I think that Bots favors drafting European players (which is definitely has and cannot be disputed to this point) and I think he picks a lot of smaller/skill players - which your  research shows he does not.  I don't think my opinion was garbage as you say, just because it was not 100% accurate, especially factoring in Pilut and Routsalanien which swayed my comment. 

Maybe some readers here can understand why I came up with that?   You cannot because you seek a high degree of accuracy,  perhaps more so than most?  

Thank you for your informative analysis on the height and weight of all of Bots picks.  Thank you for clarifying that you are the policemen here   Like an Internet Superhero you protect all members on this board who might read something on the internet that is not 100% true (GASP), or maybe read an opinion you disagree with  (GASP again).  

You made it personal. Someone can get you directions to the block user button. I'll make sure to add you. Superhero, away!

20 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Do you have to be such a nit picker?   He drafted 9 European players out of 12 picks over two years.  I used the term undersized and that must lack the precision you need?  

He had two first round picks, a small American and Average sized European.  So you are right as usual, I’ll give you that so you can feel good about yourself.  

Most people just say thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

So Sharks play in two game sevens and get calls in both games that help them win series???

Looking forward to a Sharks- Bruins finals...would be nice to see Joe win won against his old team!!

Do you think the NHL is cheating for the Sharks?

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you think the NHL is cheating for the Sharks?

This whole off season has been a mess in my opinion.  Have Sharks got the benefit in two game sevens that have helped them win series?? Of course they have.

Boston has benefited as well. 

Kardi got suspended for rest of series against Boston. He deserved it but that definitely helped Boston.  Chara and Marchand continue to get away with things without getting suspensions.  MacAvoy finally got the one game he deserved. 

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

This whole off season has been a mess in my opinion.  Have Sharks got the benefit in two game sevens that have helped them win series?? Of course they have.

Boston has benefited as well. 

Kardi got suspended for rest of series against Boston. He deserved it but that definitely helped Boston.  Chara and Marchand continue to get away with things without getting suspensions.  MacAvoy finally got the one game he deserved. 

Aren’t playoff games worth two regular seasons games when it comes to suspensions? Kadri didn’t deserve to miss the rest of that series IMO. Not that he would have been the difference maker, but who knows.

8 hours ago, sweetlou said:

So Sharks play in two game sevens and get calls in both games that help them win series???

Looking forward to a Sharks- Bruins finals...would be nice to see Joe win won against his old team!!

The call yesterday was a footnote, to me, relative to the call in round 1. 

There's no other way to slice it that if the officials don't completely botch that major call, the Sharks are out round 1. It completely turned the tide of the bracket. 

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 5/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, Claude_Verret said:

I dont mind the casual or non-fans that get caught up in a playoff run. I completely get and understand that type of bandwagon fan. What we have here in Raleigh to a large degree are the team swapping bandwagon fans. Those fans who moved here from somewhere else, go to the regular season games wearing their Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings etc. jerseys, but who are now suddenly woo-wooing to Ric Flair alongside the 6000 true caniac diehards. Nauseating.

more like 1000 did you see season ticket sales up 700%!!!!!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.