Round Two: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, nucci said:

but we got O'Reilly for him so we're good

We still won the trade with Colorado. Unfortunately Botterill decided to trade Kane and O'Reilly for a handful of magic beans and we'll have to wait to see if they ever pan out.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

We still won the trade with Colorado. Unfortunately Botterill decided to trade Kane and O'Reilly for a handful of magic beans and we'll have to wait to see if they ever pan out.

I can't fairly blame him for trading Kane.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't fairly blame him for trading Kane.

I do for 2 reasons.

1. If he knew he either he had no interest in trying to re-sign Kane or that Kane had no interest in signing an extension, he should have tried to move him prior to the season rather than hold out for a last minute deadline deal.

2. He should have come down from his stupid 4 pieces, including a first round pick demand that he floated through the media earlier in the season that he reportedly wouldn't budge from until near the trade deadline. Kane had a great start to the season but teams rarely want to part with that many pieces for a rental. There's also a quality vs quantity balance where trying to stand firm to his quantity demand inherently means that the quality of each piece would be less. Maybe they could have landed a much better prospect than Danny O'Nobody if the team looking to acquire Kane didn't also have to give up a first round pick. In the end, he didn't get his 4 pieces anyway and he only lucked into getting that first because Kane played well enough for the Sharks that San Jose offered him a big extension. If Kane liked San Jose (the team or the area) less or thought he could land a better deal elsewhere, it would have been a second round plus a nobody prospect which would have been a pathetic return for a top line winger.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Drunkard said:

I do for 2 reasons.

1. If he knew he either he had no interest in trying to re-sign Kane or that Kane had no interest in signing an extension, he should have tried to move him prior to the season rather than hold out for a last minute deadline deal.

2. He should have come down from his stupid 4 pieces, including a first round pick demand that he floated through the media earlier in the season that he reportedly wouldn't budge from until near the trade deadline. Kane had a great start to the season but teams rarely want to part with that many pieces for a rental. There's also a quality vs quantity balance where trying to stand firm to his quantity demand inherently means that the quantity of pieces all but assures that the quality of each piece would be less. Maybe they could have landed a much better prospect than Danny O'Nobody if the team looking to acquire Kane didn't also have to give up a first round pick. In the end, he didn't get his 4 pieces anyway and he only lucked into getting that first because Kane played well enough for the Sharks that San Jose offered him a big extension.

Fair point on the timing of the trade.  Kane should have been gone much earlier.  But we don't know what was offered.

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Can anyone stop the Bruins now? 

No.  It's over.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, dudacek said:

Colorado gives me hope.

It’s essentially shows what a one-line team can do if the depth forwards hold their own, the goalie is reliable and your mobile defence holds its own physically and structurally.

McKinnon is so good.

Was glad to see them win yesterday. I think the one-line thing is starting to take it's toll on MacKinnon, though. He looks frustrated and less effective, with 5 points this series in 6 games, and a -5. 

Sharks are clearly and rightfully keying on him. 

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That JT compher, what a player.... We could use a guy like.... Oh. 

Also that hit by McAvoy was something else, also when it was 3-0 I was hoping for some revenge, but CBJ just stood down, kinda sad. 

There's definitely some sort of "double jeopardy" thing going on in my mind where I can't lament the loss of Compher because I already rationalized it away by knowing we added a better player in ROR. 

Semantics I guess, but it's the ROR loss I'd go to first. 

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Can anyone stop the Bruins now? 

It's still wide open. Even Carolina could beat them. 

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There's definitely some sort of "double jeopardy" thing going on in my mind where I can't lament the loss of Compher because I already rationalized it away by knowing we added a better player in ROR. 

Semantics I guess, but it's the ROR loss I'd go to first. 

Of course losing ROR is the much bigger loss. Just bad decision after bad decision on part of the Sabres. 

In a perfect world, I would have liked to see us develop our picks properly (assuming we draft ok/well) instead of trading them all for big names. Even worse when we trade them for big names that simply don't work out, for whatever reason. 

No I sit hating the Eastern finals match up and hoping the best team wins out west to hopefully take the cup.... All while lamenting the best fan base in the NHL getting the big middle finger. 

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Of course losing ROR is the much bigger loss. Just bad decision after bad decision on part of the Sabres. 

In a perfect world, I would have liked to see us develop our picks properly (assuming we draft ok/well) instead of trading them all for big names. Even worse when we trade them for big names that simply don't work out, for whatever reason. 

No I sit hating the Eastern finals match up and hoping the best team wins out west to hopefully take the cup.... All while lamenting the best fan base in the NHL getting the big middle finger. 

Every once in awhile you make a non high-profile pick that feels right and you just feel is going to make it.

JT Compher was one of those for me. He just had hockey player written all over him as a prospect and it hurts to see him prove it elsewhere.

Maybe Rasmus Asplund will make me forget about JT.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

The ol’ tap on the wrist with a feather  “becuzzz playoffs” for McAvoy. 

One game is obnoxious. Nice one DOPS. Nice one.

It's not "because playoffs"; it's because Boston.  And he's not a normal offender.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

The ol’ tap on the wrist with a feather  “becuzzz playoffs” for McAvoy. 

One game is obnoxious. Nice one DOPS. Nice one.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t intent and history taken into account for the suspension itself? I’m also pretty sure DoPS considers playoff suspensions to be the equivalent of two games per game. McAvoy doesn’t have any history (to my knowledge) and the hit was worth two games, three at absolute most. I don’t think it’s terrible he only got a game. Should have definitely been five last night. 

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Living with n St Louis, I’m pulling for the Blues. Great hockey town.  Loyal fan base that is patiently waiting to win one someday.  

Strong TV ratings and excellent youth hockey in the area.  Lots of Blues retire and stay here and the6 have helped by coaching the top youth programs.  As a result, quite a few NHL players from St Louis these days 

Score Blues.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Living with n St Louis, I’m pulling for the Blues. Great hockey town.  Loyal fan base that is patiently waiting to win one someday.  

Strong TV ratings and excellent youth hockey in the area.  Lots of Blues retire and stay here and the6 have helped by coaching the top youth programs.  As a result, quite a few NHL players from St Louis these days 

Score Blues.  

Aren't we supposed to be rooting for the Stars tonight because of the better potential draft position?

6 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Aren't we supposed to be rooting for the Stars tonight because of the better potential draft position?

Yes, but I like the Blues and aren’t we supposed to hate Dallas for “no goal” and winning a Cup on our ice for a market that knows nothing about hockey?  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, but I like the Blues and aren’t we supposed to hate Dallas for “no goal” and winning a Cup on our ice for a market that knows nothing about hockey?  

I look at what effects my team the most going forward and right now that’s a better draft pick. 

I do agree with the rest about the St Louis Area and it’s Hockey Culture, just not tonight 

Just now, Brawndo said:

I look at what effects my team the most going forward and right now that’s a better draft pick. 

I do agree with the rest about the St Louis Area and it’s Hockey Culture, just not tonight 

So we draft in a better position to pick an undersized European player who at best  becomes a marginal Amerk in two years?    

That what I feel is the most probable outcome until Bots shows me otherwise.  

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So we draft in a better position to pick an undersized European player who at best  becomes a marginal Amerk in two years?    

It’s the additional 10 players he would have to select from and the development pathway from the CHL to the NHL is more defined for players taken in the first round, so Botterill using that on a CHLer would not surprise me. 

And 17-19 is the range that Bobby Brink, Cam York and Moritz Seider will be available, the latter being a 6’4” RHD German Defenseman not exactly undersized. 

Even Jame, who went nuclear every chance he had on Botterill, stated that he loved Botterill’s 2017 Draft Class. 

All seven of them will most likely end up signing ELCs with the Sabres, something that rarely happens with the NHL Draft 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What undersized euro has Botterill drafted? Especially in rounds 1 or 2? 

How can he prove it otherwise if he hasn't done it? 

29 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You are certainly free to cheer for whomever you like, but I'm hearing that this Dallas vs. St. Louis Game 7 outcome could mean a 1st round draft position swing from the late twenties to the late teens. That's significant enough for me to root for Dallas.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.