Round Two: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

idk how you can listen to doc call a game and not love it. the dude is a charm.

When he calls the game, and the game is good, he’s remarkable. When the game is so so and he is flapping about the ice-out festival in North Bay in Lake Nipissing that some assistant coach took part in and he gets interrupted by a goal,... awful.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, Claude_Verret said:

The Lehner turnover was vintage Canes puck luck.  A great play by Aho no doubt, but give him 10 shots at knocking that puck down and he does it maybe once.

I understand that all teams get bandwagon fans when they start winning in the playoffs, but I swear to the almighty that this town has to be among the worst.  It will now be insufferable around here for the next few weeks.  Oh what sweet karma it would be if Canes dmen start dropping like flies just in time for the ECF......

I agree the bandwagon jumpers who claim they have supported the team forever is nauseating.  Thank fans dying creates game they ever seen yea they have only seen the one they are coming from.    A total collapse against teh Islanders would be a perfect thing

7 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

It was. Brian Campbell who played 30 minutes in that game at a time in his career when he should have been playing half that.

well every other NHL defenseman we had was injured

2 minutes ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

this is setting up like 2006 for the canes all the good teams dropping like flies.  Luckiest franchise on the planet and cant even sell out playoff games

Have faith... the candy canes won’t even get to the finals. Let alone win ...

EFbI.gif

The difference between how good (and impartial) Joe Micheletti is compared to Mike Milbury as a color guy is pretty striking.

This PBP guy is also soooo much better than Doc. I don’t think it’s close.

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

idk how you can listen to doc call a game and not love it. the dude is a charm.

He's great — wonderful! even. My one pet peeve is everyone else's. Not calling the game. But I've noticed this playoff year he seems to be laying it on a bit thick. He's overcalling the games. Not every sequence has to sound like Game 7 OT. Modulate yourself. Rick is a master of it.

14 hours ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

I agree the bandwagon jumpers who claim they have supported the team forever is nauseating.  Thank fans dying creates game they ever seen yea they have only seen the one they are coming from.    A total collapse against teh Islanders would be a perfect thing

I dont mind the casual or non-fans that get caught up in a playoff run. I completely get and understand that type of bandwagon fan. What we have here in Raleigh to a large degree are the team swapping bandwagon fans. Those fans who moved here from somewhere else, go to the regular season games wearing their Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings etc. jerseys, but who are now suddenly woo-wooing to Ric Flair alongside the 6000 true caniac diehards. Nauseating.

Colorado gives me hope.

It’s essentially shows what a one-line team can do if the depth forwards hold their own, the goalie is reliable and your mobile defence holds its own physically and structurally.

McKinnon is so good.

13 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Lehner's defense during the regular season must have been exceptional.  Against the Canes, he looked liked the same slow goalie that played for the Sabres, even getting pulled in the deciding game 4.

His defense was terrible in Game 4.  Not sure any goalie was bailing them out.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:52 PM, SwampD said:

The difference between how good (and impartial) Joe Micheletti is compared to Mike Milbury as a color guy is pretty striking.

This PBP guy is also soooo much better than Doc. I don’t think it’s close.

Dock Emrick has a very distinctive and unique broadcasting style...that I can't stand.  And that goes back many years to his days as the Devils' PBP guy, too.

As to why he has been decreed the voice of hockey broadcasting for many Americans who only watch big, nationally televised games, I'll never know.

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

"There's no better way to slow down pace than big hits and physical play."

Kendall gets it.

Mike Schopp tells me hitting is worthless and in fact it only means you don't have the puck.

‼️

14 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Wow ... bu-bye Islanders ... they looked so good last round too.

Watching the end of the game last night I had a couple of thoughts, which were kind of depressing.

First, I thought we just witnessed an over-achieving Islanders team officially hit its ceiling and it is probably time for that group to be rebuilt.  I don't see that group doing any better than what they just did this season. 

Second, that Islanders team that just got swept out of the playoffs is well ahead of where the Sabres are now.  The Sabres need to take at least 1, and probably more like 2 pretty big steps to get to that level.  And none of them are guaranteed to be taken next season!

My God Botterill has a lot of work to do, and I have zero faith in his ability to do any of it.

I fear the work is going to have to be done by the next GM, whenever we get to him, and whoever that might be.

So enjoy these playoffs now while we have them!  The St. Louis/Dallas series has been excellent.  I've enjoyed most of the hockey this playoff season..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.