Bogosian has hip surgery, out 5-6 months

Hoss

On 4/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, dudacek said:

Bogo is getting nowhere near his current 7-year, $36 million contract next summer.

He’ll likely get more, but he’s going to mirror Luke Schenn, who signed a 5-year $18-million second contract based on promise and followed with a two-year $2.5 million deal when he didn’t fulfill that promise.

I’ll be shocked if Bogo signs a $10 million deal, or for four years.

I would be astounded if he was signed to a 2 year 2.5M deal. 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, Doohickie said:

He was a lot better this year than in past seasons as a Sabre.  If he can do as well this year (or possibly even better), he might even be worth re-signing.

He's f-ing terrible.  Watch how many times the puck leaves his stick and then next hits the tape of a Sabres stick.   (Hint: it doesn't happen very often).

As long as guys like this are eating minutes on our D corps, we are going to be terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

Bogo misses games due to chronic hip issue >

Bogo has surgery to correct issue >

See?  Bogo is "oft-injured!"

I think that's entirely the wrong way to look at it.  I see a gritty player who is still relatively young who has had to play through chronic injuries.  The issues have been addressed, as far as I'm concerned the "oft-injured" tag is gone until proven otherwise.

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think that's entirely the wrong way to look at it.  I see a gritty player who is still relatively young who has had to play through chronic injuries.  The issues have been addressed, as far as I'm concerned the "oft-injured" tag is gone until proven otherwise.

Shhhhhhhh..... let's just discuss (howl into the wind about) how awesome and indispensable Risto is in the face of all evidence to the contrary... 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:25 AM, Doohickie said:

Shouldn't it have to be proven that they are gone, first? How many games did he play last season? Let's see him play 75 games, then we'll talk. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

A fair approach, sure.  But he already looked a lot less injury prone this year after his late start.

To be fair, he played more games this past season than I thought he would, and I definitely can see a similar situation arising next year where he's playing another 65 games instead of the 18 games and 56 games he played the two seasons previous. 

But he still missed 11 games last season after the initial 5 to start the year. And seeing as he hasn't had a healthy year since, what, over a decade ago? I think the betting odds are pretty solid his likely max is ~ 65 games. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

To be fair, he played more games this past season than I thought he would, and I definitely can see a similar situation arising next year where he's playing another 65 games instead of the 18 games and 56 games he played the two seasons previous. 

But he still missed 11 games last season after the initial 5 to start the year. And seeing as he hasn't had a healthy year since, what, over a decade ago? I think the betting odds are pretty solid his likely max is ~ 65 games. 

This is what I was wondering.  His contract is up this year.  He could expect a decent payday for a very good term.  If he has a solid year for a defenceman with only the typical bumps and bruises (say, 70 games), how good would you feel about a 6x6 contract?  That makes me wince because of his history.

3 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

This is what I was wondering.  His contract is up this year.  He could expect a decent payday for a very good term.  If he has a solid year for a defenceman with only the typical bumps and bruises (say, 70 games), how good would you feel about a 6x6 contract?  That makes me wince because of his history.

I'd feel awful about it, but he's not getting that from anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

Zach Bogosian will make less on his next contract, no question about it.

He didn’t earn this one over his prime years. He’s never been healthy. Most of you seem to consider him a 3rd pairing defenceman on a bad team.

What GM is going to give him six years, at any $, let alone $6million?

Best case next year is he plays most of the year on a bottom pairing (maybe Pilut).  He goes into March healthy and nets us a 2nd and a prospect to a team like Toronto this year.  We wish him well, and use his $5.1m (and Scandella/Hunwick’s cap) to acquire a high end talent next summer.

P.s look at the Right handed defense hitting UFA next year.  Bogo is not getting term nor salary.  I’d be surprised if he exceeds $4.5m *2.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.