Bogosian has hip surgery, out 5-6 months

Hoss

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This sounds sensible, but if the last two off-season surgeries repaired chronic problems, it could through out the "chronically injured" tag on Bogo.  It could be a case of he does, in fact, get better with age.  When he was on this year, he was excellent.  If he has increased periods of "being on" I might offer him a bit more.  I might offer him an extension early in the season; if he balks, then I'd wait and see how his season goes before offering him up on the trading block.  If he shows a steady game with physical edge over an extended period, I'd consider a better offer instead of moving him.

I think whoever signs him to his next contract will regret it within the very first year. I just hope it's not Buffalo.

Bogo is getting nowhere near his current 7-year, $36 million contract next summer.

He’ll likely get more, but he’s going to mirror Luke Schenn, who signed a 5-year $18-million second contract based on promise and followed with a two-year $2.5 million deal when he didn’t fulfill that promise.

I’ll be shocked if Bogo signs a $10 million deal, or for four years.

BOGOs next contract will be interesting.  When healthy, he's a 4-5 million D-Man (right shot) and physical.  I think when injured, the team has an insurance company pay the player's salary.  And LTIR alleviates the cap hit when the player is out.   So a team will take a shot at him in UFA since they won't be out cash or cap when he's injured.  Now he does take up a contract and the team will have to account for his cap at the beginning of the year.  But at 30 in July 2020, he'll have a market, just not sure what it will be.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think it matters.

He had surgery to correct a chronic problem that may have been behind his history of issues. It was scheduled in such away to maximize his recovery time prior to this season and resulted in his playing most of the year at a higher level than anticipated.

You don’t usually fix two hips at once, you fix one, rehab, then fix the other.

If this is the other hip, and was planned, then that bodes well for his health moving forward. If it was not planned, it bodes the opposite.

If we re-sign him it's a colossal mistake. 

4 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Fair enough. I don't think it matters too much since missed time is missed time regardless of the reason. Either way I hope this is the last offseason where we have to speculate how many game this guy isn't going to he able to be counted on to play. 

Yes. Healthy Bogosian this season missed 17 games.

I will never understand what anyone sees in this player.

He is often injured

He is mediocre defensively

He is less then mediocre offensively 

He is often out of position

He may have once had good top end speed, but that isn’t the case anymore.

The only thing people tell me is that he is physical. Yeah!  A $5 mill physical statue.  Yeah!  

Just what we need.  Another oft injured overpaid and underproductive player.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This sounds sensible, but if the last two off-season surgeries repaired chronic problems, it could through out the "chronically injured" tag on Bogo.  It could be a case of he does, in fact, get better with age.  When he was on this year, he was excellent.  If he has increased periods of "being on" I might offer him a bit more.  I might offer him an extension early in the season; if he balks, then I'd wait and see how his season goes before offering him up on the trading block.  If he shows a steady game with physical edge over an extended period, I'd consider a better offer instead of moving him.

I'm sorry but this is stretching the true to absurdity. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

BOGOs next contract will be interesting.  When healthy, he's a 4-5 million D-Man (right shot) and physical.  I think when injured, the team has an insurance company pay the player's salary.  And LTIR alleviates the cap hit when the player is out.   So a team will take a shot at him in UFA since they won't be out cash or cap when he's injured.  Now he does take up a contract and the team will have to account for his cap at the beginning of the year.  But at 30 in July 2020, he'll have a market, just not sure what it will be.

Bogo has never in his career been on LTIR, and we have never got relief from his cap hit. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Lol. Got ya

Although I did accuse Bogo of cocaine use in the past... I can't be certain.... but it's based on some insider knowledge, although not someone who I trust implicitly.     So it's speculative at best.    

That said I hope he gets better and can at least contribute something next season.      

He had a +8.5 TRpm last season....  second best on the entire team.

BUf's ES goal diff was -46.0.
BUF has played 82.0 games and had an ES goal diff per game of -0.56.
Bogo has played 65.0 games, and 36.06% of each game on average.
Therefore, his expected pm is -13.15 while his actual pm is -5.0.
His TRpm is 8.15.

Lance Lysowski‏ @LLysowski 6h6 hours ago

Can confirm @john_wawrow's report that Zach Bogosian did not have surgery on the same hip. Both hips had bothered Bogosian for some time. Doctors opted to only repair one last January.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.