Bogosian has hip surgery, out 5-6 months

Hoss

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm just going to call him Steve from now on, eh.

Completely rebuilt now and faster and stronger.  And just as ruggedly handsome to boot.

I'd go with Old faithful because you can always count on him to be injured. It's like clockwork.

Just another reason why Ristolainen doesn't deserve the ***** he gets on this board. At least he can be relied on to play. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting. Was this a planned follow-up to last year’s surgery, I.e. the other hip?

Did last year’s surgery fail? Is this a new injury?

Does it even matter? The guy is a walking injury report whether it's something new or the continuation of something chronic.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been wanting him off the team for 2 full seasons. This will be his final season with the Sabres. Hopefully. Don’t re-sign him. Please. 

Very nice guy. Just don’t want him on the Sabres anymore ...

On a positive note ... I hope he heals and recovers fully and can continue to play in the NHL. He’s only 28.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it matters.

He had surgery to correct a chronic problem that may have been behind his history of issues. It was scheduled in such away to maximize his recovery time prior to this season and resulted in his playing most of the year at a higher level than anticipated.

You don’t usually fix two hips at once, you fix one, rehab, then fix the other.

If this is the other hip, and was planned, then that bodes well for his health moving forward. If it was not planned, it bodes the opposite.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think it matters.

He had surgery to correct a chronic problem that may have been behind his history of issues. It was scheduled in such away to maximize his recovery time prior to this season and resulted in his playing most of the year at a higher level than anticipated.

If this is the other hip, and was planned, then that bodes well for his health moving forward. If it was not planned, it bodes the opposite.

Fair enough. I don't think it matters too much since missed time is missed time regardless of the reason. Either way I hope this is the last offseason where we have to speculate how many game this guy isn't going to he able to be counted on to play. 

53 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mr. Glass.  

Lets put him on LTIR and move on.  Enough already. 

Say what you want, I don't think Bogo is part of the problem. His injuries have been an issue but having the off-season surgery should remedy that. If his wheels don't give him problems going forward I think the Sabres would be stupid to trade him just to "move on."

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Say what you want, I don't think Bogo is part of the problem. His injuries have been an issue but having the off-season surgery should remedy that. If his wheels don't give him problems going forward I think the Sabres would be stupid to trade him just to "move on."

I think a lot of this would be mitigated if we simply knew whether it was the other hip or not.

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So what kind of contract extension would you offer him? Are you willing to offer him a long term deal for big money because you don't think he's part of the problem? He's 28 so his next contract will likely be his last big one and I doubt he's going to want some short term prove it type of deal.

The guy has been constantly hobbled as a younger player and that continued through his prime. Chronically injured players don't tend to be less injured as they get older either. If anything age is only going to exacerbate his running list of reasons for missing time. 

Personally, I'd offer him a one year extension at a pay cut before the season starts and when he balks at that (because he should) I'd look to move him during the season or by the trade deadline next season. If no one bites I'd let him walk and cut my losses.

Edited by Drunkard

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think it matters.

Nailed it!

18 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

So what kind of contract extension would you offer him? Are you willing to offer him a long term deal for big money because you don't think he's part of the problem? He's 28 so his next contract will likely be his last big one and I doubt he's going to want some short term prove it type of deal.

The guy has been constantly hobbled as a younger player and that continued through his prime. Chronically injured players don't tend to be less injured as they get older either. If anything age is only going to exacerbate his running list of reasons for missing time. 

Personally, I'd offer him a one year extension at a pay cut before the season starts and when he balks at that (because he should) I'd look to move him during the season or by the trade deadline next season. If no one bites I'd let him walk and cut my losses.

This sounds sensible, but if the last two off-season surgeries repaired chronic problems, it could through out the "chronically injured" tag on Bogo.  It could be a case of he does, in fact, get better with age.  When he was on this year, he was excellent.  If he has increased periods of "being on" I might offer him a bit more.  I might offer him an extension early in the season; if he balks, then I'd wait and see how his season goes before offering him up on the trading block.  If he shows a steady game with physical edge over an extended period, I'd consider a better offer instead of moving him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.