How do we acquire 2nd line center?

sweetlou

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I have yielded the point. I am incorrect and I see what you are driving at. 

You weren't going to yield anyway, because for some reason you just won't accept the fact that hockey is a physical game played by humans.

Anyone can make a perfect breakout pass when they are all alone in the corner. I think even I could. But can they make it after having to battle for the puck on the boards and with a second guy about to smash into them?

Playing physically is playing with intensity. Playing with intensity doesn't always mean playing physically.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You weren't going to yield anyway, because for some reason you just won't accept the fact that hockey is a physical game played by humans.

Anyone can make a perfect breakout pass when they are all alone in the corner. I think even I could. But can they make it after having to battle for the puck on the boards and with a second guy about to smash into them?

Playing physically is playing with intensity. Playing with intensity doesn't always mean playing physically.

I literally did. 

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sorry. Thought that was sarcastic.

No. I understand what you were saying and I was wrong. I agree with your point. 

I had a moment where what you meant and were going for clicked thanks to an analogy from North Buffalo. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Ftr, I really wish the Sabres were more physical and more talented.

Talent first. Backfilling the physical part is infinitely easier than acquiring guys who put the puck in net. 

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My hope is to get both in the same player.

JT Miller

The key to this acquisition is finding the right bargain. I doubt the big time UFA are going to sign here.  Therefore that means we are either going to have to trade for someone or sign a lesser UFA who is being under utilized where he currently is.  William Karlsson is the classic example.  Honestly, Skinner was also such an acquisition.

This May have to wait until we get a coach.  Jbot should want to acquire someone who fits what the news coach is trying to do.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let me tell you about Alex Turcotte. Or also Matthew Boldy to some degree. 

But they maybe 2 years from making an impact.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

JT Miller

The key to this acquisition is finding the right bargain. I doubt the big time UFA are going to sign here.  Therefore that means we are either going to have to trade for someone or sign a lesser UFA who is being under utilized where he currently is.  William Karlsson is the classic example.  Honestly, Skinner was also such an acquisition.

This May have to wait until we get a coach.  Jbot should want to acquire someone who fits what the news coach is trying to do.

But they maybe 2 years from making an impact.

We will need them in 2 years just as much as now. 

Image 2 years from now, round 1 of the playoffs. Alex Turcotte at 20 or Boldy at 20. That's an instant boost. 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Do you really not see a difference from the regular season in the way it’s played and officiated?

I do and I hate it.  A lot of people say "let them play"....and my favorite "don't let the officials decide the game" by calling a penalty late in a playoff game.   Don't let them decide it?  The argument works the other way around also...but NOT calling a penalty on something that might deserve it..the officials ARE helping to decide the game in the other direction by allowing a player to do something illegal to 'change the play' and get away with it.

Not calling a 'close' penalty in OT or a close game vs calling that penalty and causing a powerplay....either one is the officials helping to decide the game just as much.

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Ya but I don’t know if it’s enough to overlook the mistakes he makes in his own end. If the other team had a lot of scoring depth maybe.

When I read about trade rumors in articles not written by Sabres fans, his mistakes, if mentioned at all, are not seen as alarming.  Think about when we acquired Skinner:  Word was that he didn't chip in defensively.  We didn't care, we just wanted scoring prowess.  Teams looking to trade for Risto will just see the physical presence he brings, and make sure he's paired with someone who cleans up after him.  Good players are often not complete players.  But if they bring something your team needs, you take the bad with the good.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Good reason why hockey will always be a secondary sport. It has different rules at different times of years.

And the NFL doesn't????

NoFlag.gif

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

I think officiating changes come playoff time in every sport.  Just ask the saints ?

Yep.

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Please don’t drive and text.  

Don't worry. I wasn't. I was driving when their interaction took place. when I clicked on LGR's alert, it took me right to this page.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I literally did. 

This is just funny and has made me laugh all day.

• Like (+1) 1

Every team has some talent, but whether you have some talent or are loaded with talent, intensity is what makes the difference. Think how far the "hardest working team in the NHL" got with not all that much talent. Anybody watching the playoffs should be able to determine what makes a team good. Last nights game between Nashville and Dallas was as intense as it gets. Both talented teams but their intensity level was sky high and they were selling out on every play. If the Sabres were as intense as those two teams they have enough talent to beat either one of them. As far as physicality goes, that is just part of being intense.

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Filppua would be a good affordable fit. He's pretty good, not great but would fill the role 

While secondary scoring is needed, just a tiny bit of grit would be nice to go along with it. If we add Duschne and Fillipula, I don't think we'd be much better. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.