How do we acquire 2nd line center?

sweetlou

Iv'e seen in several posts that we need to trade Risto for 2nd line center or try and sign a 2nd line center via UFA or offer sheet.  

How do you propose we improve the Sabres 2nd line next year and going forward?

I personally would sign Duchene for 7 years and 8.5 million AAV or trade/offer sheet for William Karlsson of Vegas, (younger and cheaper) for 6 years 6.5 AAV.

You could always move Mitts to a top six LW and use ERod as third line center.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Iv'e seen in several posts that we need to trade Risto for 2nd line center or try and sign a 2nd line center via UFA or offer sheet.  

How do you propose we improve the Sabres 2nd line next year and going forward?

I personally would sign Duchene for 7 years and 8.5 million AAV or trade/offer sheet for William Karlsson of Vegas, (younger and cheaper) for 6 years 6.5 AAV.

You could always move Mitts to a top six LW and use ERod as third line center.

The Sabres do not have their 2020 third round pick that would be required to make a offer sheet at this AAV. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't matter, he's physical. It's all that matters. Just listen to everyone tell u so. 

It's not all that matters,… but it does matter.

Just ask all the teams that had great regular seasons but are out now.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

It's not all that matters,… but it does matter.

Just ask all the teams that had great regular seasons but are out now.

They aren't out now because of physicality. Tampa hit a hot goalie and got outworked after being on cruise control for months. Pittsburgh isn't that good and the ilanders have been playing some extremely sound defensive hockey for months. Show me a team that lost specifically because they "were not physical". 

I think physical gets used to encompass forechecking and backchecking, and generally working hard. All good teams do that otherwise they wouldn't be good.

Also if the game changes so much in the playoffs you have to have a team of Lucic's to be successful then the problem isn't being physical enough, the problem is the rules of the game. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't out now because of physicality. Tampa hit a hot goalie and got outworked after being on cruise control for months. Pittsburgh isn't that good and the ilanders have been playing some extremely sound defensive hockey for months. Show me a team that lost specifically because they "were not physical". 

I think physical gets used to encompass forechecking and backchecking, and generally working hard. All good teams do that otherwise they wouldn't be good.

Also if the game changes so much in the playoffs you have to have a team of Lucic's to be successful then the problem isn't being physical enough, the problem is the rules of the game. 

Why do you always have to go to the extreme? You don’t need to “have a team of Lucic’s” to be successful. But everyone needs to play a little tougher. And it’s kind of ironic you chose a player who has been pretty successful in the playoffs.

Do you really not see a difference from the regular season in the way it’s played and officiated?

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Why do you always have to go to the extreme? You don’t need to “have a team of Lucic’s” to be successful. But everyone needs to play a little tougher. And it’s kind of ironic you chose a player who has been pretty successful in the playoffs.

Do you really not see a difference from the regular season in the way it’s played and officiated?

Good reason why hockey will always be a secondary sport. It has different rules at different times of years.

I take it to the extreme because others do. Tampa didn't lose because they "weren't physical enough". They lost because they weren't good enough. Physicality is only a part of that. 

Also this has become another excuse for why the Sabres are bad. They aren't physical enough, the culture need to change, you gotta stick up for your team. No, you need to go play hockey and execute. The Sabres don't suck because the culture or they have too many 5'10" guys, they suck because they don't have enough talent.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Good reason why hockey will always be a secondary sport. It has different rules at different times of years.

I take it to the extreme because others do. Tampa didn't lose because they "weren't physical enough". They lost because they weren't good enough. Physicality is only a part of that. 

A really big part. They were frustrated that everything they did in the regular season, they had to do with a guy on their back.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't a big part. You are confusing physicality with intensity. 

Interesting debate... though I think its both... intensity begets physicality and physicality can unnerve the other team and limit physicality especially if they see themselves as not being physical enough to stand up to other team.  Skill and speed can negate physicality if a team doesnt back down and if a team remains intense.  Really good teams have a blend of both imo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Interesting debate... though I think its both... intensity begets physicality and physicality can unnerve the other team and limit physicality especially if they see themselves as not being physical enough to stand up to other team.  Skill and speed can negate physicality if a team doesnt back down and if a team remains intense.  Really good teams have a blend of both imo.

... that makes a lot of sense. I yield. Well stated. 

house yes GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.