World Championship 2019

MODO Hockey

These tournaments are entertaining but if I were a player like Jack, I would decline to go.  Jack makes $10 million a year to play for the Sabres.  He is set for life, as will be his kids and grand kids.  His first loyalty is to the Sabre and the city of Buffalo.  If he goes to the tournament and gets another high ankle sprain (or worse) and misses a few months of the regular season, and the Sabres miss the playoffs AGAIN, what is the justification?  I'm surprised that there is not some clause in his contracts that prohibits his participating in tournaments like this.  Most contracts prohibit dangerous activities (e.g. motorcycles, skydiving), why not this?  I know I'm in the minority here, but if I owned the Sabres, it would be negligent of me not to protect my most expensive asset as best as I could. 

2 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Was going Modo then had to change my plans. Been to a few worlds and have been a member of the Great Britain Supporters Club for 11 years. We normally take a good support to these tournaments every year.

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

These tournaments are entertaining but if I were a player like Jack, I would decline to go.  Jack makes $10 million a year to play for the Sabres.  He is set for life, as will be his kids and grand kids.  His first loyalty is to the Sabre and the city of Buffalo.  If he goes to the tournament and gets another high ankle sprain (or worse) and misses a few months of the regular season, and the Sabres miss the playoffs AGAIN, what is the justification?  I'm surprised that there is not some clause in his contracts that prohibits his participating in tournaments like this.  Most contracts prohibit dangerous activities (e.g. motorcycles, skydiving), why not this?  I know I'm in the minority here, but if I owned the Sabres, it would be negligent of me not to protect my most expensive asset as best as I could. 

Yea well, it all comes down to personal investment to you, not to me.

I love seeing my countrymen fight for my country. NHL is a league, thats it. 

Edit:

So, Jack gets declined participating in WC, crashes with his car instead and never playes hockey again, and Sabres miss another playoff.
Wheres the justification in that?
You do realise how stupid this sounds right ? thats how it sounds to me, the problem here is NHL and always have been, it all comes down to money, which suck ass when its actually about sports and always should be. 

1 hour ago, Sabre1974 said:

Was going Modo then had to change my plans. Been to a few worlds and have been a member of the Great Britain Supporters Club for 11 years. We normally take a good support to these tournaments every year.

Damn ? would have been awesome!

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

So, Jack gets declined participating in WC, crashes with his car instead and never playes hockey again, and Sabres miss another playoff.
You do realise how stupid this sounds right ? thats how it sounds to me, the problem here is NHL and always have been, it all comes down to money, which suck ass when its actually about sports and always should be.

I get it MODO and said I was in the minority.  As a person, Jack has an obligation to provide for himself and his family (as we all do). He has an employment agreement as a member of the Buffalo Sabres and as such his primary responsibility is to the Buffalo Sabres.  Unfortunately, professional sports are  no longer about sports, they're about entertainment, gambling and money.  The Olympics USED to be about sports but has been commercialized and college sports may be more money-grubbing than professional.  What I'm trying to say is that if my employer was willing to pay me $10 million a year but forbade me to play in the the World Championships, I would sign that contract before it hit the table.  Sure, acts of God like plane/car crashes happen, but I would protect my asset to the best extent I could and I believe Jack should do all he can to prevent injury in the off season which includes not playing in exhibition games.  The Sabres pay him $10 million, not the U.S. Hockey Program.

3 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Yea well, it all comes down to personal investment to you, not to me.

I love seeing my countrymen fight for my country. NHL is a league, thats it. 

Edit:

Damn ? would have been awesome!

Well, it's about sports, but also about the panny.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, MODO Hockey said:

Yes it was once about the love of the sport and the ultimate team challenge. 

Sad that ethos in american professional sports is almost non existent anymore.  

11 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Yes it was once about the love of the sport and the ultimate team challenge. 

Sad that ethos in american professional sports is almost non existent anymore.  

I cant say regarding all sports, but regarding Hockey its a fact for sure.

NHL would be just like any other hockey league if it were not for all nationalities, and these players would not 
be this wealthy, good or known all over the world if it wasnt for NHL, so the respect goes both ways but the sad part is that in most sports all country leagues stop when its world championship to be able to send their best players. This is where i dislike NHL. 

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

I cant say regarding all sports, but regarding Hockey its a fact for sure.

NHL would be just like any other hockey league if it were not for all nationalities, and these players would not 
be this wealthy, good or known all over the world if it wasnt for NHL, so the respect goes both ways but the sad part is that in most sports all country leagues stop when its world championship to be able to send their best players. This is where i dislike NHL. 

In the UK both the Elite League and NIHL finish the 2nd week in April at latest and then we are straight in to Worlds action but not this year with being in the top division

On 4/29/2019 at 8:27 PM, #freejame said:

I don’t think it was meant to be, but I think it is if that’s the case. 

Smyth was a pretty good player. But I do think Reinhart will score more. 

It was more a reference to the multitude of appearances for Canada. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.