Anthem Singers

JJFIVEOH

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Growing up in the Buffalo area have my a completely different impression of Canadians than found on the internet, one that’s far closer in-line with what you experienced recently. Even since moving down South, every once-in-a-while I’ll come across someone from Toronto, say I’m from Buffalo, and have to hear some smart ass remark about the city or about how much of a piece of ***** it is. Few things make me madder than the whole “Canadians are the nicest people” BS. All I associate them with is littering, foul-mouthedness, and general ***** behavior. 

Having spent my summers up in Parry Sound area even the Bay locals hated the folks from Toronto and that was 35-40 years ago

Edited by North Buffalo

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

You’re doing a fine job keeping it on the rails

Not sure if that was a snarky comment. If it wasn't, I apologize and thank you for the compliment. I'm trying to keep this thread fairly sincere and I think you notice it. Trying to keep the drama out of it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Having spent my summers up in Parry Sound area even the Bay locals hated the folks from Toronto and that was 35-40 years ago

We don't call it The Great Satan for nothing, eh.

Sorry, JJ.  I think most anthem singers are OK at the craft.  I am not in favour of Nationalist expressions at sporting events.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sorry, JJ.  I think most anthem singers are OK at the craft.  I am not in favour of Nationalist expressions at sporting events.

That's cool. We all have our opinions. I just find the better anthem singers can set the tone for a game. If you're sitting down for a game and want to get motivated, there's nothing better than a die hard anthem performance. 

Seriously, how can anybody (well Chicago is done now) not watch Cornelison and just get completely psyched to watch a Blackhawks playoff game? How can anybody not watch Whitney Houston and get super psyched for Super Bowl XXV?  

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I like the anthems, but I try not to think how little sense it makes, especially when he have a bunch of Canadians and Swedes, and a Finn, a Latvian, a Czech...

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

How can anybody not watch Whitney Houston and get super psyched for Super Bowl XXV?  

i can think of one particular reason nobody gets psyched to watch the super bowl. i know a lot of old-timers wouldn’t get psyched and, great scott, nor would i.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

i can think of one particular reason nobody gets psyched to watch the super bowl. i know a lot of old-timers wouldn’t get psyched and, great scott, nor would i.

I was only in my teens and have since gotten over being over-patriotic. But back then the Super Bowl was a big deal, and the combination of Whitney's performance on top of the patriotism from the start of the Persian Gulf war.......... it's really tough to beat. Do a search for best anthem performances and that is one of the first that pops up. 

Just curious, what is that reason? 

23 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I was only in my teens and have since gotten over being over-patriotic. But back then the Super Bowl was a big deal, and the combination of Whitney's performance on top of the patriotism from the start of the Persian Gulf war.......... it's really tough to beat. Do a search for best anthem performances and that is one of the first that pops up. 

Just curious, what is that reason? 

32 minutes ago, Hoss said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

Growing up in the Buffalo area have my a completely different impression of Canadians than found on the internet, one that’s far closer in-line with what you experienced recently. Even since moving down South, every once-in-a-while I’ll come across someone from Toronto, say I’m from Buffalo, and have to hear some smart ass remark about the city or about how much of a piece of ***** it is. Few things make me madder than the whole “Canadians are the nicest people” BS. All I associate them with is littering, foul-mouthedness, and general ***** behavior. 

Funny you mention the littering.  I visit my family a lot, they live in Town of Tonawanda, near the Blvd Mall.  I recall numerous times seeing Canadians filling suitcases with clothes and watching the Canadians just throw the boxes and wrappings on the ground and drive away.  

Especially bad around Christmas time, wrappers blowing all over the parking lot.  Unbelievably poor form. 

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Funny you mention the littering.  I visit my family a lot, they live in Town of Tonawanda, near the Blvd Mall.  I recall numerous times seeing Canadians filling suitcases with clothes and watching the Canadians just throw the boxes and wrappings on the ground and drive away.  

Especially bad around Christmas time, wrappers blowing all over the parking lot.  Unbelievably poor form. 

Try the Factory Outlet Mall ....terrible.

JJ -- if the thread has gone off the rails, and I don't think it has, you are one of the top 2 culprits, with at least 10 posts in the last 1.5 pages bemoaning the slights you've suffered and demanding an apology that you know isn't forthcoming.

Let it go.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

JJ -- if the thread has gone off the rails, and I don't think it has, you are one of the top 2 culprits, with at least 10 posts in the last 1.5 pages bemoaning the slights you've suffered and demanding an apology that you know isn't forthcoming.

Let it go.

I may have let it go off the rails. But you sure haven't helped keeping things organized and civilized. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.