Anthem Singers

JJFIVEOH

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The gentle, peace loving Canadian fans have changed a lot in the past decades.  About 5-6 years ago I was in town to watch RIT VS Canisius in the new rink.  The last place Sabres beat the Leaves that same night by a big score. 

We got on the train and it was filled with young Canadians looking to stay and party.  They were displaying bad sportsmanship, swearing and insulting Buffalo as a city.  Tensions were flaring between themselves and with some locals.    Growing up in Buffalo I thought I would never see that.   

Toronto the city, and the fans, remind me a lot like NYC and Boston than of the Toronto from the 70-80’s.  Things change.  

All that said I say keep the Canadian anthem in place.  It makes Buffalo a unique venue and most Canadian fans are still very decent. 

I don't think my idea works if you have to sing three anthems. A couple times a year when an American team is in town you could drop the Canadian anthem.

My comments on Canadians and Leafs games were tongue in cheek. You'd never want to drop the Canadian anthem when the Leafs are in town.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Doug is Meh, the anthem singing before events is Meh, acceptable, but not necessary. 

I don't think he has the voice of a Slewidge, Cornelison or Angilly. But I do think he is one of the better singers in the league and love the fact he keeps it simple and doesn't improvise. 

Not trying to sound cold, but I'm not a big fan of teams going to kids singing because they think it's cute. It's unfortunate Slewidge lost his job because Ottawa wanted to go that route. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Cornelison is my favourite, the volume and how the whole building is shaking.

I like the traditional type of singer, not one who tries to make a classic their own by changing it.

I agree 100%. Keep it simple but show off your talents with your voice and volume. Which is why I think Whitney Houston's rendition was one of the all time greatest. Superior performance but didn't get too crazy with the improvising. 

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  I like Doug. Don’t get why people complain about him.  I heard the singer at the  last Blues game and he was especially moving   

I love the anthem and the whole process.  That means if you are in the building and you are capable then you STAND in a respectful manner and take your hat off. 

I tend to reflect during the anthem and find it part of the experience.  I like to be in my seat before it starts.  

He is a competent singer but his schtick that he does every night is getting really old.

I also personally can't stand the fake military PR campaign that is now associated with NHL hockey games, and Allen fits into that for me...though he's basically just trying to do his job.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The gentle, peace loving Canadian fans have changed a lot in the past decades.  About 5-6 years ago I was in town to watch RIT VS Canisius in the new rink.  The last place Sabres beat the Leaves that same night by a big score. 

We got on the train and it was filled with young Canadians looking to stay and party.  They were displaying bad sportsmanship, swearing and insulting Buffalo as a city.  Tensions were flaring between themselves and with some locals.    Growing up in Buffalo I thought I would never see that.   

Toronto the city, and the fans, remind me a lot like NYC and Boston than of the Toronto from the 70-80’s.  Things change.  

All that said I say keep the Canadian anthem in place.  It makes Buffalo a unique venue and most Canadian fans are still very decent. 

Growing up in the Buffalo area have my a completely different impression of Canadians than found on the internet, one that’s far closer in-line with what you experienced recently. Even since moving down South, every once-in-a-while I’ll come across someone from Toronto, say I’m from Buffalo, and have to hear some smart ass remark about the city or about how much of a piece of ***** it is. Few things make me madder than the whole “Canadians are the nicest people” BS. All I associate them with is littering, foul-mouthedness, and general ***** behavior. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Please enlighten us all to which song that is

2 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

It's not the first time he's made racist claims with nothing to back it up. 

He's probably referring to this:  https://www.theroot.com/star-spangled-bigotry-the-hidden-racist-history-of-the-1790855893

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

He was also referring to a comment I made about an anthem singer and claimed I made a racist remark, to which he never found any proof. 

Just stop ruining my thread, a good one at that. If you all want to talk racism, start your own thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The root is a pretty biased source, but I figured he was talking about the anthem. My reading comprehension may be off, but I’m not reading racism in those lyrics. I’m reading it as “if you’re a slave, you’re either going to have a ***** time relocating or a ***** time fighting in battle.” Simply mentioning slavery does not equate to racism. 

2 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

He was also referring to a comment I made about an anthem singer and claimed I made a racist remark, to which he never found any proof. 

Just stop ruining my thread, a good one at that. If you all want to talk racism, start your own thread. 

Yeah, I'm not getting into all of that; I'm just pointing out the somewhat-known theory that the third stanza of The Star Spangled Banner has some racial overtones.

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

The root is a pretty biased source, but I figured he was talking about the anthem. My reading comprehension may be off, but I’m not reading racism in those lyrics. I’m reading it as “if you’re a slave, you’re either going to have a ***** time relocating or a ***** time fighting in battle.” Simply mentioning slavery does not equate to racism. 

I've heard the theory before from other sources; that's just the first one that came up when I googled "full Star Spangled Banner."  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, I'm not getting into all of that; I'm just pointing out the somewhat-known theory that the third stanza of The Star Spangled Banner has some racial overtones.

I've heard the theory before from other sources; that's just the first one that came up when I googled "full Star Spangled Banner."  

OK, fair point. And I appreciate your input. I'm just saying it's not the first time Hoss has made racial claims and nobody has held him accountable. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Growing up in the Buffalo area have my a completely different impression of Canadians than found on the internet, one that’s far closer in-line with what you experienced recently. Even since moving down South, every once-in-a-while I’ll come across someone from Toronto, say I’m from Buffalo, and have to hear some smart ass remark about the city or about how much of a piece of ***** it is. Few things make me madder than the whole “Canadians are the nicest people” BS. All I associate them with is littering, foul-mouthedness, and general ***** behavior. 

All I can add is that people from Toronto are not your average Canadian.

Many of us Canadians are polite as heck, but I find that is being eroded as people's values come more and more from the Internet instead of the "old" family oriented ways.

Just showing my age now.

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

All I can add is that people from Toronto are not your average Canadian.

Many of us Canadians are polite as heck, but I find that is being eroded as people's values come more and more from the Internet instead of the "old" family oriented ways.

Just showing my age now.

I don’t think Canadians are any more rude or impolite than other nationalities, I just don’t like their elevated status within the US. I find the average Canadian and the average American to be close to the same in terms of politeness and manners. People in general are pretty great, but when you constantly hear how great one nationality is, they better be exceptional. 

35 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

OK, fair point. And I appreciate your input. I'm just saying it's not the first time Hoss has made racial claims and nobody has held him accountable. 

It’s the ol cry wolf routine AKA say it enough and it becomes truth for some. Yawn...

lets get the thread back on target and I hope the mods see the ones who initially try to derail it.

i think Doug Allen is so so ... hes not great. And he doesn’t suck.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s the ol cry wolf routine AKA say it enough and it becomes truth for some. Yawn...

lets get the thread back on target and I hope the mods see the ones who initially try to derail it.

I hope so too. But SDS doesn''t like me so he'll never back me up. 

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

i think Doug Allen is so so ... hes not great. And he doesn’t suck.

I like Doug.  Yes, there are more exciting singers out there, but he's a Buffalo guy, and for as long as I have watched, he has never missed a note.  The guy is a machine and seems to truly enjoy singing at the games.

• Like (+1) 2

I made a comment that probably was a little over the top about Tampa's anthem singer. But it had no racial overtones. None. It just happened to be a comment about a black woman. 

Hoss came straight out and called me a racist. No mods have banned him over given him warnings. The ironic part is I've spent a pretty good part of this thread giving the highest praise to a black woman. 

Will any mod take notice? Probably not. 

1 minute ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I made a comment that probably was a little over the top about Tampa's anthem singer. But it had no racial overtones. None. It just happened to be a comment about a black woman. 

Hoss came straight out and called me a racist. No mods have banned him over given him warnings. The ironic part is I've spent a pretty good part of this thread giving the highest praise to a black woman. 

Will any mod take notice? Probably not. 

Ok, but this thread is about the anthems and not the theme from Frozen...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I like Doug.  Yes, there are more exciting singers out there, but he's a Buffalo guy, and for as long as I have watched, he has never missed a note.  The guy is a machine and seems to truly enjoy singing at the games.

There are singers out there that give inspiration each and every game. Not sure Doug Allen does that, but he does give a great consistent performance every game he sings in. I'd put him in the top 5 of current singers. 

1 minute ago, JJFIVEOH said:

There are singers out there that give inspiration each and every game. Not sure Doug Allen does that, but he does give a great consistent performance every game he sings in. I'd put him in the top 5 of current singers. 

I'll say it again; give me two months and a Xanax and I'll outdo him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Ok, but this thread is about the anthems and not the theme from Frozen...

You are right, and I hope it stays that way. I just wish SDS would treat others the way he treats me. Double standards...........

Just now, Eleven said:

I'll say it again; give me two months and a Xanax and I'll outdo him.

I'll be looking forward to it! Opening night in place of Doug Allen? ?

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

nope. was just a reference to francis scott key. it had zero to do with your comments.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

nope. was just a reference to francis scott key. it had zero to do with your comments.

You did call me a racist based on a comment I made about a black woman.......... with no proof of any racist comments........ did you not?

Dammit, why is my thread getting derailed with no mod control?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.