Anthem Singers

JJFIVEOH

I know it's a small part of the game. But it does set tone for the game before it starts. Gets you hyped up if its done right. 

My top three........ Todd Angilly, Jim Cornelison and (unfortunately he isn't employed anymore) Lyndon Slewidge. 

Who else do you all have? 

• Like (+1) 1

I have noticed this new, big guy singing in Boston.  I immediately did some net research wondering where the hell Rene Rancout went.

Turns out he retired at the end of last season.  I didn't know that.

Rene wasn't much of a singer, but the man was a legend and had great enthusiasm.

He'll be missed!  

92ff42adbaee02f1ebb59202b7cf0878_400x400

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have noticed this new, big guy singing in Boston.  I immediately did some net research wondering where the hell Rene Rancout went.

Turns out he retired at the end of last season.  I didn't know that.

Rene wasn't much of a singer, but the man was a legend and had great enthusiasm.

He'll be missed!  

92ff42adbaee02f1ebb59202b7cf0878_400x400

No doubt he was a great entertainer. And at one point he was a great singer. But when he retired I think he was 115 years old and kind of washed up. But he sure was fun to watch. 

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Forgot about Kate. I don't put Lauren Hart on the same level, but I think it's cool the way the Phlyers mix in her singing with Kate Smith. Nothing against Lauren, I think she is pretty damn good. Just not on the same level as Cornelison, Slewidge, and Angilly. 

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Let's not leave Doug Allen out of the mix. He certainly isn't Slewidge, Cornelison or Angilly. But he is pretty good. Very straighforward and no crazy improvisations. 

Agree.  I like Doug. Don’t get why people complain about him.  I heard the singer at the  last Blues game and he was especially moving   

I love the anthem and the whole process.  That means if you are in the building and you are capable then you STAND in a respectful manner and take your hat off. 

I tend to reflect during the anthem and find it part of the experience.  I like to be in my seat before it starts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

While my thoughts on nationalism don’t belong here, I’ve never thought of the anthem before the hockey game as anything other than the portal where 40 players and 18,000 observers divorce themselves from their individual routines and become one entity focused entirely and only on the task at hand. 

It is a birth moment of community and it is magical.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  I like Doug. Don’t get why people complain about him.  I heard the singer at the  last Blues game and he was especially moving   

I love the anthem and the whole process.  That means if you are in the building and you are capable then you STAND in a respectful manner and take your hat off. 

I tend to reflect during the anthem and find it part of the experience.  I like to be in my seat before it starts.  

Agreed. Respect the anthem. But it's also great to hear a fine rendition to set the tone.

This great thread reminds me that at least once a season, the Canadian anthem should be replaced by the anthem of our Swedish, Finnish, Latvian, etc. players (forgot Czech teehee). I don't think the gentle, peace-loving Canadian fans would riot. And if those special nights coincide with the Leafs in town, all the better.

Edited by PASabreFan

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This great thread reminds me that at least once a season, the Canadian anthem should be replaced by the anthem of our Swedish, Finnish, Latvian, etc. players (forgot Czech teehee). I don't think the gentle, peace-loving Canadian fans would riot. And if those special nights coincide with the Leafs in town, all the better.

The gentle, peace loving Canadian fans have changed a lot in the past decades.  About 5-6 years ago I was in town to watch RIT VS Canisius in the new rink.  The last place Sabres beat the Leaves that same night by a big score. 

We got on the train and it was filled with young Canadians looking to stay and party.  They were displaying bad sportsmanship, swearing and insulting Buffalo as a city.  Tensions were flaring between themselves and with some locals.    Growing up in Buffalo I thought I would never see that.   

Toronto the city, and the fans, remind me a lot like NYC and Boston than of the Toronto from the 70-80’s.  Things change.  

All that said I say keep the Canadian anthem in place.  It makes Buffalo a unique venue and most Canadian fans are still very decent. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.