Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JJFIVEOH

Anthem Singers

Recommended Posts

I know it's a small part of the game. But it does set tone for the game before it starts. Gets you hyped up if its done right. 

My top three........ Todd Angilly, Jim Cornelison and (unfortunately he isn't employed anymore) Lyndon Slewidge. 

Who else do you all have? 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoyed Lyndon, especially if it was the playoffs and the Sabres went on to beat the Sens.

Sue Britton did a classy job back in the day.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gimme a couple of months and a Xanax and I'll knock it out of the park.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are awesome.  I am fortunate enough to be moved, the accumulated slings and arrows of many years notwithstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I always enjoyed Lyndon, especially if it was the playoffs and the Sabres went on to beat the Sens.

Sue Britton did a classy job back in the day.

 

Wow, that's an old classic, Thanks for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Wow, that's an old classic, Thanks for that. 

Leon Stickle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed this new, big guy singing in Boston.  I immediately did some net research wondering where the hell Rene Rancout went.

Turns out he retired at the end of last season.  I didn't know that.

Rene wasn't much of a singer, but the man was a legend and had great enthusiasm.

He'll be missed!  

92ff42adbaee02f1ebb59202b7cf0878_400x400

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have noticed this new, big guy singing in Boston.  I immediately did some net research wondering where the hell Rene Rancout went.

Turns out he retired at the end of last season.  I didn't know that.

Rene wasn't much of a singer, but the man was a legend and had great enthusiasm.

He'll be missed!  

92ff42adbaee02f1ebb59202b7cf0878_400x400

 

No doubt he was a great entertainer. And at one point he was a great singer. But when he retired I think he was 115 years old and kind of washed up. But he sure was fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not leave Doug Allen out of the mix. He certainly isn't Slewidge, Cornelison or Angilly. But he is pretty good. Very straighforward and no crazy improvisations. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started this thread for NHL anthem singers. But I just have to add this. One of the greatest anthems ever sung, and very emotional with the start of the Persian Gulf war. 

 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, inkman said:

Forgot about Kate. I don't put Lauren Hart on the same level, but I think it's cool the way the Phlyers mix in her singing with Kate Smith. Nothing against Lauren, I think she is pretty damn good. Just not on the same level as Cornelison, Slewidge, and Angilly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Let's not leave Doug Allen out of the mix. He certainly isn't Slewidge, Cornelison or Angilly. But he is pretty good. Very straighforward and no crazy improvisations. 

Agree.  I like Doug. Don’t get why people complain about him.  I heard the singer at the  last Blues game and he was especially moving   

I love the anthem and the whole process.  That means if you are in the building and you are capable then you STAND in a respectful manner and take your hat off. 

I tend to reflect during the anthem and find it part of the experience.  I like to be in my seat before it starts.  

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While my thoughts on nationalism don’t belong here, I’ve never thought of the anthem before the hockey game as anything other than the portal where 40 players and 18,000 observers divorce themselves from their individual routines and become one entity focused entirely and only on the task at hand. 

It is a birth moment of community and it is magical.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  I like Doug. Don’t get why people complain about him.  I heard the singer at the  last Blues game and he was especially moving   

I love the anthem and the whole process.  That means if you are in the building and you are capable then you STAND in a respectful manner and take your hat off. 

I tend to reflect during the anthem and find it part of the experience.  I like to be in my seat before it starts.  

 

Agreed. Respect the anthem. But it's also great to hear a fine rendition to set the tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I hear the anthem, it means I have to hurry up and get my beer to go into the arena cuz the game’s about to start.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Joe Byron sing America the Beautiful for a time instead of the anthem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This great thread reminds me that at least once a season, the Canadian anthem should be replaced by the anthem of our Swedish, Finnish, Latvian, etc. players (forgot Czech teehee). I don't think the gentle, peace-loving Canadian fans would riot. And if those special nights coincide with the Leafs in town, all the better.

Edited by PASabreFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornelison is my favourite, the volume and how the whole building is shaking.

I like the traditional type of singer, not one who tries to make a classic their own by changing it.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This great thread reminds me that at least once a season, the Canadian anthem should be replaced by the anthem of our Swedish, Finnish, Latvian, etc. players (forgot Czech teehee). I don't think the gentle, peace-loving Canadian fans would riot. And if those special nights coincide with the Leafs in town, all the better.

The gentle, peace loving Canadian fans have changed a lot in the past decades.  About 5-6 years ago I was in town to watch RIT VS Canisius in the new rink.  The last place Sabres beat the Leaves that same night by a big score. 

We got on the train and it was filled with young Canadians looking to stay and party.  They were displaying bad sportsmanship, swearing and insulting Buffalo as a city.  Tensions were flaring between themselves and with some locals.    Growing up in Buffalo I thought I would never see that.   

Toronto the city, and the fans, remind me a lot like NYC and Boston than of the Toronto from the 70-80’s.  Things change.  

All that said I say keep the Canadian anthem in place.  It makes Buffalo a unique venue and most Canadian fans are still very decent. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug is Meh, the anthem singing before events is Meh, acceptable, but not necessary. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...