Draft Option #7: Cole Caufield

LGR4GM

Well... I suppose we can't ignore him anymore. The 5'7" winger can score.

He can score here or there.

He can score with a shot, he can score with a deflection, he can score in any direction. 

He can score from down low, He can score from up high, He can score on any guy. 

He currently has back to back hat tricks at the U18 worlds. So 6 goals in 2 games. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well... I suppose we can't ignore him anymore. The 5'7" winger can score.

He can score here or there.

He can score with a shot, he can score with a deflection, he can score in any direction. 

He can score from down low, He can score from up high, He can score on any guy. 

But will he eat green eggs and ham?

1 minute ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

But will he eat green eggs and ham?

He does much like to score the goals

He scores them in bunches

He scores them in rows

He would score them in goal

He would score them, with a pole

He would score them here or there

He can score most anywhere

He may be good but I'm not sure he's first round good.  At that size he'll likely need to work his way up through college, AHL, then to the NHL.  To throw him at the NHL at his size right away would kill the poor kid.   He's gonna have to graduate from one level to the next before he's ready.

42 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Looks like a younger version of Skinner.

But can he figure skate?

Reminds me of the itsy bitsy spider that went up the water spout. If one of the Centers are available, I'd predict we go for one of them above a winger especially considering that 3-10 appears to be a wash across the board. 

It's slightly more involved, for me, than just a minimum height requirement.  If he were the only little guy, then I'd be fine with him, but he wouldn't be.  If you're thinking he marinates in the AHL for a little allowing for roster turn-over here, I could buy that on paper.  However, until JBots proves to me he knows how to populate a roster, I just don't buy that he'd be the only small fry on the team whenever he comes up.

1 minute ago, ... said:

It's slightly more involved, for me, than just a minimum height requirement.  If he were the only little guy, then I'd be fine with him, but he wouldn't be.  If you're thinking he marinates in the AHL for a little allowing for roster turn-over here, I could buy that on paper.  However, until JBots proves to me he knows how to populate a roster, I just don't buy that he'd be the only small fry on the team whenever he comes up.

I certainly agree we don’t want a whole team of little guys, but in an ideal world you would replace the current small talent with greater talent of similar size. Also, it’s important to remember these kids grow. I think Olofsson was only around 5’6” when drafted and is now closer to 5’10/1”

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Totally.  I totally get it, and being mindful of stats the concern on my part borders on irrational.  It's really not the player in this instance, it's the GM.

I can totally see that too. I am definitely of the mindset that the team needs to get bigger and more tenacious but ideally JBott would recognize that drafting a smaller player requires other rosters moves to compensate, unlike some other picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

He needs a minimum level of speed to get to the next level. The NHL is the Autobahn now so I would want to know he can keep up.

We know he's got hands, he needs the feet to get him there.

So far he appears to have speed at this level, next level not sure?

9 goals in 3 games...67 total on the season.

Compared to Debrincat.

This is the kind of kid the Sabres need...someone who can consistently put the puck in the net.

When I thought he would fall to the 20's, I wanted Zegras or Boldy and Caufield...but he's not getting past pick #15, he might not make it out of the top-10.

I'd love to draft this kid, he could be deadly in a few years with Mittelstadt.

"A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam. Defensively, he’s uncomfortable having the puck in his own end for long and he’ll make the extra effort to pressure around the blue line and take away cross-ice options. Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition. The hallmark of his game is his exceptional goal-scoring ability. He has a shot that absolutely leaps off his stick with pinpoint accuracy when he lets loose and a low centre of gravity that facilitates fast and flashy puckhandling at pace. He affords his linemates options by taking advantage of any allotted attention he garners, generating time and space by drawing guys in; he’s perpetually hard to play against. All-in-all, Cole Caufield is an electrifying goal-scoring machine that makes some of the most otherworldly plays look like child’s play. [EP 2019]"

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/316168/cole-caufield

Edited by OhMyDahlin

21 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

9 goals in 3 games...67 total on the season.

Compared to Debrincat.

This is the kind of kid the Sabres need...someone who can consistently put the puck in the net.

When I thought he would fall to the 20's, I wanted Zegras or Boldy and Caufield...but he's not getting past pick #15, he might not make it out of the top-10.

I'd love to draft this kid, he could be deadly in a few years with Mittelstadt.

"A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam. Defensively, he’s uncomfortable having the puck in his own end for long and he’ll make the extra effort to pressure around the blue line and take away cross-ice options. Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition. The hallmark of his game is his exceptional goal-scoring ability. He has a shot that absolutely leaps off his stick with pinpoint accuracy when he lets loose and a low centre of gravity that facilitates fast and flashy puckhandling at pace. He affords his linemates options by taking advantage of any allotted attention he garners, generating time and space by drawing guys in; he’s perpetually hard to play against. All-in-all, Cole Caufield is an electrifying goal-scoring machine that makes some of the most otherworldly plays look like child’s play. [EP 2019]"

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/316168/cole-caufield

Boldy is still a better choice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.