OFFICIAL:Sabres Sign 3 year ELC with Artuu Ruotsalainen

Brawndo

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Unless his development takes a significant uptick (one can hope)  ... he’ll probably top off as a pretty good AHLer with some spot duty in the NHL from time to time. 

Very nice depth signing. Too many don’t pay attention to these type of signings because if they don’t make the Sabres, it’s off their radar and/or don’t care. These signings are important to an organization. And they all do it.

Totally agree that these types of signings are important and shouldn't be downplayed.  Sometimes these guys don't work out at all.  Sometimes they become good AHL players, which is always good to have.  Sometimes they will surprise and show themselves to be useful NHL players.

For example, one year ago, who thought that Pilut was going to immediately show that he was an NHL 3rd pair D at worst?  Two years ago, it looked like Rodrigues was probably going to be a career AHLer and when he signed he was considered by the fanbase to be mostly a favor to Eichel.  Now he looks like a decent versatile NHL bottom-6er.

• Like (+1) 3

• 8 months later...
26 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

What's everyone's expectations on this guy?  Bottom 6 forward at most?

Probably like a 3rd liner who plays a solid 2 way game and can chip in a little scoring, ~15 goals/30-35 pts, despite being undersized.  That’s my expectation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why do you think that?  He seems to be quite a versatile player.

Would be interesting to see what Botts plans are for him. I would like to see him on the team next year along with Cozens if ready along with a hopefully confident mittlestadt, tage Thompson. 

Hopefully. 

28 minutes ago, Weave said:

Few undersized players excel outside of top 6 roles.

You could be right.  I’m thinking like a Alex Keerfoot/Jean-Gabriel Pageau type of player as his ceiling.

We probably wont know until he gets an extended look in the NHL.  He is already putting up around a point per game in a league nearly the quality of the AHL at age 22.

Edited by Curt

• 3 months later...

Happy anniversary (close, anyway) to this thread!

Here's something from Yardon's salary cap piece today in the Athletic:

We’ll also figure Arttu Ruotsalainen will be in North America full-time next season. If the Sabres could’ve kept him here this season, they would have, but his entry-level deal had a clause in it which stated he had to go back to his team in Finland if he did not make the NHL. The second and third years of his contract do not have that stipulation. He had his best pro season, with 43 points in 44 games with Ilves in Liiga this year. Whether he’s a fixture in Buffalo or Rochester is to be determined, but we’ll put him in Buffalo for now with a $925,000 cap hit.

Maybe the Sabres get lucky here and this guy turns out to be a contributor.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:49 PM, nfreeman said:

Happy anniversary (close, anyway) to this thread!

Here's something from Yardon's salary cap piece today in the Athletic:

Maybe the Sabres get lucky here and this guy turns out to be a contributor.

I honestly just disagree philosophically with so much this GM does. I'd be totally thrilled with this signing if the bolded was the extent of the plan, regarding this move. "Hey, maybe we'll get lucky". But that's not Botterill's strategy. His play is to continually bring in a pool of these "maybe we'll get lucky" guys, and COUNTING on one or more to achieve just that, in a timely matter. And odds based play, I'd assume is the thinking. So few bonafides with this GM, always more question marks. 

He's the "throw a bunch of shite at the wall and hope something sticks" GM if there ever was one. He's basically the guy from Moneyball if the guy from Moneyball was a functionally inept evaluator of talent. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.