OFFICIAL:Sabres Sign 3 year ELC with Artuu Ruotsalainen

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, steveoath said:

What I don't understand is how can he be a free agent if he has a contract until 2022?

He's an NHL free agent; i.e., he's not tied to any NHL team.  Beyond that, I'm not sure how all the contract rules work, but I don't think his current contract can prevent him from signing a contract in a higher level league.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Did he get released from the team or did he decide to leave?  If he was sure he was signing he may want to come to North America sooner rather than later to train with real NHLers to give him his best shot of making the Sabres roster.

He got cut.

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That would be nice.  Looks like he might spend another year in Finland from the tweets posted by WC.

Yeah, saw that too.  Just came back to correct myself.  Nothing wrong with spending another season in Liiga if he doesn’t make the Sabres.  It’s good organization depth no matter what.

EDIT: Also, Liiga regular season does end in mid March, about 1 month before the AHL regular season ends, so he could play in Liiga, then come over to play in Rochester for the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season and the playoffs.

Edited by Curtisp5286

On 4/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

I usually use Vollman's numbers, which are a year or two old:  

Olofsson (63 points in 66 AHL games) is about 37 points.  Asplund (41 points in 75 AHL games) is about 21 points.

Olofsson looks like he is going to be well above 37 points

• Like (+1) 1

I listened to the interview that @WildCard mentioned above -- it was with Dobber Hockey's (which is a fantasy site) Finnish correspondent.  FWIW, he raved about the FNG -- said he was a very gifted offensive player who plays a complete game -- e.g. he led his team in PK minutes in addition to the scoring categories.

I agree with @dudacek that it makes sense to keep taking shots like these -- sooner or later one will hit.

• Like (+1) 1

Unless his development takes a significant uptick (one can hope)  ... he’ll probably top off as a pretty good AHLer with some spot duty in the NHL from time to time. 

Very nice depth signing. Too many don’t pay attention to these type of signings because if they don’t make the Sabres, it’s off their radar and/or don’t care. These signings are important to an organization. And they all do it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.