OFFICIAL:Sabres Sign 3 year ELC with Artuu Ruotsalainen

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

How about this one.

So we know that Botterill loves his Finns and his Swedes.  What is even better?  How about a Finnish player whose name is ‘Swedish’?  How could you not sign a guy like that?

Seriously, this guy Ruotsalainen, his last name is ‘Swedish’ in Finnish.  Ruotsalainen translates to ‘Swedish’.  Got it?  He is Finnish and his name is literally Arttu ‘Swedish’.  

Botterill just wrote a blank check.

You're confusing us enough as is, but then at the end you bring the Czechs into the equation as well?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I watch what I could find on this guy. He's got a good shot. Seems to play smart.

At this point we need to much more talent that we should bring in... 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb873a36868565236

Gary Oldman is very underappreciated.  I love his versatility.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol. Another reason to keep Risto. We need Fins to balance our Swedes.  Also how great will it be for RJ.

Risto, UPL, Routsa, Oskari mashed up with Asplund, Dahlin, Olofsson, and Nylander.  Throw is a bunch of college boys and wow you have a hockey team.

This could force RJ into retirement, or an early grave.....

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

All too easy....

These names... Ruotsalainen, Ristolainen.... It's like poetry. It rhymes.

(and endless R2 possibilities, too.)

Unless you want to have Rodrigues bookend that, it probably ends draft weekend.  Risto will be traded.  

1 hour ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

Surely possible and trying to call that on the fly would be tough, but let's hope RJ's with us for the long haul!

Reijo Routsalainen (Same last name) was a pretty good player for the Rangers in the 1980's and I think the early 1990's.....I'm sure RJ did quite a few radio calls of games between the Sabres and Rangers getting practice with that name.

“The 5-foot-8, 181-pound forward would be expected to start the season with the AHL’s Rochester Americans, but could be an interesting prospect as he is still just 21 years old. He is expected to play for Finland in the World Championships and then sign his contract, very similar to the Sabres’ signing two seasons ago of defenseman Victor Antipin.”

“(WGR 550) - The website Iltalehti is reporting that the Sabres have come to an agreement with European free agent center Arttu Ruotsalainen. Ruotsalainen won't be playing with Team Finland at the IIHF World Championship.

I translated the article as best I could, and I think that since he has a contract with Ilves through 2022, he must go back to them if he doesn’t make the Sabres. That is similar to the deal Victor Antipin had. He couldn’t go to Rochester. If he didn’t make the Sabres, he had to go back to Russia. I thought that hurt Antipin quite a bit as he wasn’t really ready for the NHL.”

saying two two different things. I think it’s probably the latter. He goes to Finland if he doesn’t make the Sabres.

Edited by Zamboni

13 hours ago, Briere48 said:

How did he miss the cut? Not exactly competing against any notable Finnish forwards.

Did he get released from the team or did he decide to leave?  If he was sure he was signing he may want to come to North America sooner rather than later to train with real NHLers to give him his best shot of making the Sabres roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.