Eichel King Clancy Nominee

WildCard

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No reason why it would be the captain. Rob Ray won it for his charity work remember.

The Downs stuff sounds good. I agree the quiet community stuff is the most impressive. Donating the luxury box doesn't impress me. It's just wealth and a tax deduction but when they give their time, that's a big thumbs up. So good on him for that. 

Excellent points. I just don't see who the Sabres can nominate at this point. But I agree with you about Rob Ray when he got nominated. As well as other players who aren't/weren't captains. 

So basically you're suggesting that no one on the entire team is any good to the community whatsoever.  They're all a bunch of self-centered a-holes who don't give a thing back.  As I said earlier, go take a look at the description of the award.  It's a humanitarian award, not a "captain material" award.

7 hours ago, SDS said:

Why? Publicity raises awareness. It sets an example and reminds us that maybe we can do more for others. 

With the ***** show that we are living with currently, you object to people spreading news about the good in humanity? ?

I think it's in how it's done. Parading around taking selfies of you at some charity events is usually looked at being poor. Talking about or showing support for a certain cause or charity and doing work there seems to be more accepted and noble. Many celebrities show up to take a few photos and just say they support the cause, others show up and do things to help, but they rarely advertise that they are there

It's funny though, athletes/entertainers start talking about a cause or an issue and they get told to shut up and play/entertain. If they dont do anything they are looked at as being only about themselves.

22 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Excellent points. I just don't see who the Sabres can nominate at this point. But I agree with you about Rob Ray when he got nominated. As well as other players who aren't/weren't captains. 

They could nominate Ray again?

As for the boxes/tickets, I always wondered if that was actually paid for by the player or team under the players name. Does Jack go to the Pegulas and say take some money off my next cheque to cover a box for a charity, or does the team just give it to him to put his name and charity on it?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

So basically you're suggesting that no one on the entire team is any good to the community whatsoever.  They're all a bunch of self-centered a-holes who don't give a thing back.  As I said earlier, go take a look at the description of the award.  It's a humanitarian award, not a "captain material" award.

The NHL has some goofy language for its trophies. Why is "on-ice leadership" included in this?

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The NHL has some goofy language for its trophies. Why is "on-ice leadership" included in this?

Probably just because they're hockey players.  I feel like what they have listed is typically how these things are described, spice up the wording to make it sound better.  They're clearly focusing on the off-ice portion here.  It's like "above and beyond".  Do we really need both words?

I was going to say maybe we'll be able to test this one someday, but that day is already here.  Tom Wilson is nominated too.  You can't paint a picture any more clear that they're not focusing on the ice.

23 hours ago, shrader said:

From what i understand hockey players are the most giving in general with their time for these things out of all athletes...

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I like to think he doesn't visit sick children just to get an award.

And that would be the smart logical way to think ??

In addition, he doesn’t just visit them. He often goes much further. That’s something not many athletes take extra time to do.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.