Eichel King Clancy Nominee

WildCard

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not being facetious, what did he do to earn the nomination? Or is this just the team punctuating their assertion that he is the leader? What does he do in the community? I'm asking in all seriousness cause, although I like Jack as a player, I don't see it.

He's been doing stuff with a charity for people who have Down Syndrome (Best Buddies I think it's called). A couple of kids who have Down Syndrome that I used to be a camp counselor for actually got to meet him through that charity and from what I understand was awesome with them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not being facetious, what did he do to earn the nomination? Or is this just the team punctuating their assertion that he is the leader? What does he do in the community? I'm asking in all seriousness cause, although I like Jack as a player, I don't see it.

This is what I like the most, athletes that do charity but don' t advertize about it on social media.

No one likes Cristiano ronaldo but compared to messi he does a lot more for charity.

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is what I like the most, athletes that do charity but don' t advertize about it on social media.

No one likes Cristiano ronaldo but compared to messi he does a lot more for charity.

Why? Publicity raises awareness. It sets an example and reminds us that maybe we can do more for others. 

With the ***** show that we are living with currently, you object to people spreading news about the good in humanity? ?

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why? Publicity raises awareness. It sets an example and reminds us that maybe we can do more for others. 

With the ***** show that we are living with currently, you object to people spreading news about the good in humanity? ?

main-qimg-d2943aacfd4f8020b4bd9dcbf6a103

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

I happen to be in the same boat.  There are a lot of athletes who demonstrate their charities but it comes across more as self-promotion that just happens to be for a good cause. The athlete who gives their time without the promotion, to me, is to be more admired.  In those situations it would appear that they are in it for the charity and not at all for themselves, at least from a self-promotion standpoint.

It's not that any athlete working for a charity is bad, it's more of which is better.

Although, given the way charities can be used as tax shelters, I do sometimes question how some athletes use them, especially those named after themselves.

• Like (+1) 2

According to sabres.com:

"He donated a suite at KeyBank Center to local charitable organizations for all 41 home games, which included post-game meet and greets.

Eichel also autographed more than 300 No. 15 jerseys to raise $48,000 for the Courage of Carly Fund at Roswell Park and Best Buddies of Western New York and attended events for both organizations throughout the season."

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was under the impression that every team had to nominate one. If that's the case, who else is BFLO going to here if not their captain? 

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

A lot of captains weren't nominated. McDavid wasn't

I guess my point was, I thought each team had to nominate one, just like the Masterton Trophy. Not sure McJesus wasn't nominated, but on the Sabres side of things, who else would they nominate?

If each team doesn't have to nominate one each, somebody please correct me. I'll admit my mistake as I'm not 100% sure. 

I looked it up. Yes, each team does nominate one per team. Matt Murray? Leon Draisaitl? Tom Wilson?

Good for Jack and Lou. Lou did a ton for the community after the Parkland shooting. Of course that was last year but this may have been the last game he played in his career. 

12 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I guess my point was, I thought each team had to nominate one, just like the Masterton Trophy. Not sure McJesus wasn't nominated, but on the Sabres side of things, who else would they nominate?

If each team doesn't have to nominate one each, somebody please correct me. I'll admit my mistake as I'm not 100% sure. 

Yes every team picks one.

So, among his teammates, he was chosen over 23 other guys.

Eichel is 1 of 31 out of roughly 713 NHLers.

To downplay it like it’s no big deal is clown shoes.

ask the beneficiaries of any players charity if it’s “no big deal”. Then go back to the kiddie table (not you JJ) and let the adults appreciate a players charity. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community."

Perhaps we should focus on the full description of the award as opposed to just 1/3 of it.

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yes every team picks one.

So, among his teammates, he was chosen over 23 other guys.

Eichel is 1 of 31 out of roughly 713 NHLers.

To downplay it like it’s no big deal is clown shoes.

ask the beneficiaries of any players charity if it’s “no big deal”. Then go back to the kiddie table (not you JJ) and let the adults appreciate a players charity. 

Not saying it's no big deal. Just not sure who else they'd pick. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

FWIW, my sister has some loose connections with the family of Eichel's significant other (insert joke about 3rd cousin's uncle's cab driver here), and has always heard that Eichel legitimately loves kids and working with then. 

I don't follow his personal life, so if his SO has changed then we're talking about different people.  A few years ago I was at lunch with an uncle of the SO and he talked about how Eichel would disappear and play with the kids during Thanksgiving, etc.  

17 minutes ago, LTS said:

I don't follow his personal life, so if his SO has changed then we're talking about different people.  A few years ago I was at lunch with an uncle of the SO and he talked about how Eichel would disappear and play with the kids during Thanksgiving, etc.  

Wasn't that something that was mentioned a few times too by Moulson back when Eichel lived with him/his family?

4 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I was under the impression that every team had to nominate one. If that's the case, who else is BFLO going to here if not their captain? 

No reason why it would be the captain. Rob Ray won it for his charity work remember.

The Downs stuff sounds good. I agree the quiet community stuff is the most impressive. Donating the luxury box doesn't impress me. It's just wealth and a tax deduction but when they give their time, that's a big thumbs up. So good on him for that. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.