Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

Fwiw: Nylander, acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Sabres for defenseman Henri Jokiharju on July 9, had a goal and an assist and was one of the best players on the ice for the Blackhawks in a 4-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.

Jokiharju has played well for the Sabres too, so its looking like a win - win for both clubs with that trade. Although if i were being honest, i wish Nylander had gone scoreless ?

Not to say i dont wish him well, but if he turns into a 70 point producer on the Hawks i'll be filled with envy & disgust that it didnt happen when he was here with us!

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I like most of these changes, but afraid of how much this will slow the game down.   

Hate the helmet thing, loved to see helmet-less players get a goal occasionally. 

Not fond of the shoot in with freeze rule either as it will potentially create situations where a team will take a shot from beyond the red line, have one guy race to the net and effectively put the goalie in a catch-22.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Hate the helmet thing, loved to see helmet-less players get a goal occasionally. 

Not fond of the shoot in with freeze rule either as it will potentially create situations where a team will take a shot from beyond the red line, have one guy race to the net and effectively put the goalie in a catch-22.

Which is what they want: generate additional offense.  Either through having fresh guys out for the face off or via the mad scramble as the rest of the guys race into the zone to try to catch up to the 1 who got behind everybody.

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Still haven't forgiven Big Buff completely for that elbow to Sam's head, but man is he a unique and fun hockey player to watch. He can move so well for a guy so big, and brought those forward puck skills to the defensive position in a way that only Burns could match/exceed 

While reading through some of the stories on him today, I couldn't help but notice the pictures.  He looks a lot more like 54 than he does 34.

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If Buff is gone, that makes 4 of our top 5 D men from last year gone....can anyone say Lafreniere?

He averaged over 24 minutes a game last season and would be sorely missed.

It really would be too bad for you guys. He's a huge part of the leadership group on your team.

The NHL is a better league when the Jets are good and losing Buff would really hurt that.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If Buff is gone, that makes 4 of our top 5 D men from last year gone....can anyone say Lafreniere?

He averaged over 24 minutes a game last season and would be sorely missed.

You have two guys who couldn’t make the Sabres and another who barely made the Rangers in your top five.

If You don’t fix it, you don’t make the playoffs, IMO.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

You have two guys who couldn’t make the Sabres and another who barely made the Rangers in your top five.

Agree.  I think it's getting close to panic time in the Peg.  Trade Risto to them, so they can have 3 Sabres who couldn't make the team.

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that game is being played in New Brunswick. A small town that was touched by tragedy. Sorry, but I can't remember what happened. 

It is.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Where are you watching that?

NHL Network

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't think there is any way we make the playoffs with our D as it is today.

Let's not forget Laine and KC aren't in camp either.

Morrissey Pionk

Kuli Poolman

Beaulieu Niku

Not a lot of D men there that know how to play D.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They will show the whole thing one more time, I hope.  There is only one level of seating and you are basically seeing all of it.

I mean, it's not huge. Probably like 3,000 seats? They've certainly played these games in smaller rinks. Didn't the Sabres do one in a rink that had like...a few metal bleachers? 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I mean, it's not huge. Probably like 3,000 seats? They've certainly played these games in smaller rinks. Didn't the Sabres do one in a rink that had like...a few metal bleachers? 

You are VERY close.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._C._Irving_Regional_Centre. 3162 seats and some standing room.  Still, to me, that's very, very small for NHLers, even if they have played in smaller ones before.

It's actually not even in the "hockeyville," Renous, NB, because their rink is too small.  https://o.canada.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-greeted-by-sea-of-red-sweaters-in-bathurst/wcm/9319e0ef-7b53-4c7c-b4c4-6ebcdbbc3917 .

Searching "Tom Donavan Arena," which actually is in Renous, produces next to nothing.