Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

7 hours ago, rakish said:

This is why I don't like Botterill's offseason. I think if he had capspace, he could make a trade with Tampa, instead he spent his capspace until he ran out.

I've been thinking about how the cap affects what I call the development sine wave. Before the cap, when you're good (at the top of the sine wave), you trade your futures to increase you present value, which inevitably leads to having a bad team (the bottom of the sine wave) 5 years out. With a cap, Tampa will be trading some of their present for futures to fit under their cap, thus making them better in 5 years, so eliminating the development sine wave. Does this make any sense?

I think there's credence to the theory that Botterill sold the Peguluas on next year being his big year to build, with the contracts coming off the books that are. As you alluded to, he didn't make much of an effort to keep the cap flexible for this season, what with nearly everyone from last year still here, with us already utilizing LTIR at this time (or projected to, I should say). 

I count 10 contracts coming off the books. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jesus...McAvoy is substantially better than Werenski

Yeah, I’m pretty high on both of them but McAvoy is going to be a top five defenseman in the league. That’s a steal of a deal. Another good sign for Buffalo when it’s time to re-up Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yeah, I’m pretty high on both of them but McAvoy is going to be a top five defenseman in the league. That’s a steal of a deal. Another good sign for Buffalo when it’s time to re-up Dahlin. 

Dhalin if he performs like a top 3 defense man he'll get Eichel money.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Dhalin if he performs like a top 3 defense man he'll get Eichel money.

That’s not what the market has been showing at all. Even going back further to Karlsson’s first deal. If I had to take a complete shot in the dark based on RFA defensemen contract history, he’ll sign 8x9. 

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

That’s not what the market has been showing at all. Even going back further to Karlsson’s first deal. If I had to take a complete shot in the dark based on RFA defensemen contract history, he’ll sign 8x9. 

If he turns into the closest thing to Bobby Orr since Bobby Orr, which seems likely, there is no way the Sabres offer, nor will he accept, that little.  I really don't think any recent UFA, or RFA, signings will have any impact on his next contract.

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The best contract ever signed by a defenceman coming off his ELC remains Ekblad at 8 years, $7.5 and that is generally considered an overpay. Provorov’s new deal of 6.75 over 6 is the new number two.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If he turns into the closest thing to Bobby Orr since Bobby Orr, which seems likely, there is no way the Sabres offer, nor will he accept, that little.  I really don't think any recent UFA, or RFA, signings will have any impact on his next contract.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The best contract ever signed by a defenceman coming off his ELC remains Ekblad at 8 years, $7.5 and that is generally considered an overpay. Provorov’s new deal of 6.75 over 6 is the new number two.

Looks like I’m living comfortably in the middle. 

If Dahlin gets done next summer, it'll be all good. If it's pushed back to the following summer, not so much, and probably a warning of difficult negotiations to come.  

Good problem to have though either way. 

Edited by Thorny

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd keep in mind that Dahlin has already produced provorov's best year. I'm telling you, Dahlin is the exception not the rule. We're talking starting at 7.5mil and honestly he could change that drastically after this season. 

It's going to be 10+ easily 

• Like (+1) 1