Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

On 8/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, WildCard said:

Laine and Rantenan are both on record saying the Jets and the Avs have had no contract talks with them, fueling the belief that we're all waiting on Marner and the Leafs 

I wouldn't want to play poker with Chevy. I don't expect Laine's contract to be decided until just before TC. Chevy isn't usually in too much of a rush to re-sign someone. 

Connor's I think will be done in 6 weeks or less. I expect Connor to sign long term and am not sure of Laine. 

On 8/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, Thorny said:

An entire offseason being held hostage by one player ???

By one GM you mean?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I wouldn't want to play poker with Chevy. I don't expect Laine's contract to be decided until just before TC. Chevy isn't usually in too much of a rush to re-sign someone. 

Connor's I think will be done in 6 weeks or less. I expect Connor to sign long term and am not sure of Laine. 

By one GM you mean?

Would agree that Connor's deal will get done 1st.

Laine is a REALLY interesting case.  Because his top skill is his shot and goal scoring gets rewarded, but that seems to be the only NHL quality skill he brings. 

Can't see him getting the sort of deal his goals would typically bring; but don't have a good feel for how much of a discount Cheveldayoff can get him to take.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, rakish said:

The Leafs structured their cap so they can't sign Marner until the season starts and the LTIR players are off the cap, no?

I thought it was a restructure so that they *could* sign him once the season starts, not so that they *had* to. But I could be wrong. 

If it does look like it’s going to drag into the season, all these GMs supposedly waiting on Marner are going to have to cut bait on that line of thinking, no? You’d think. 

Edited by Thorny

Went to Sabres Fan Fest. Toured the lockeroom and areas around there.

Talked to Brad May. Saw John Scott, Rick Vaive, Don Edwards, Bill Hajt.

Put my eyeballs on the new 3rd Jersey. I change my rating of 6 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10. 

I think the Sabres missed out on making the fan experience better. It was ok but there is so much room to make it better. I give it a C+

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Put my eyeballs on the new 3rd Jersey. I change my rating of 6 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10. 

I think the Sabres missed out on making the fan experience better. It was ok but there is so much room to make it better. I give it a C+

What do you think was missing?  Just curious; I didn't go.

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

What do you think was missing?  Just curious; I didn't go.

Well, of course everyone has their opinions on what THEY would like to see. 

I guess I would start out with adding 5 big TV’s in the concourse. Each playing a different decade of Sabres highlights. 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 2000-09, 2010 to present.

I would like to see more former and current Sabres participate in interactions and/or autographs. 

I would like to see raffles. Put your name in to win a [insert various merch]. Even if you pay $1 per entry. All proceeds go to children’s hospital or hospice or some quality org.

In a few of the surrounding restaurants, if you come in with Sabres gear, you get 10% off your bill. While the fan fest was going on.

Q and A with a few alumni with Duff or Dunleavy as moderator. Fans come up and ask questions.

those are just a few....

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

@Zamboni,

That's cool and a great list of proposed improvements.

One small point on your 5 screens for 5 decades of highlights ... the 80 - 89 TV would be blank, so you would have to show a 'this TV is not broken, it's just empty' message on that TV.  Same with the first half of the 90-99 TV.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:27 PM, Zamboni said:

I drove from Rochester to Fan Fest and was fairly disappointed. It didn’t seem organized at all, and it was hard to figure out what was going on, and where. 

I spent 40 minutes in a line to get my daughter a balloon animal made, only to get turned around when we were next in line. It was only 2pm. 

The event could have been more organized and more fan-friendly. They advertised a large list of Sabres players and alumni, but all I saw was Daren Puppa, John Scott, Ric Seiling, and Dave Shultz (what, 30 games as a Sabre?)

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I drove from Rochester to Fan Fest and was fairly disappointed. It didn’t seem organized at all, and it was hard to figure out what was going on, and where. 

I spent 40 minutes in a line to get my daughter a balloon animal made, only to get turned around when we were next in line. It was only 2pm. 

The event could have been more organized and more fan-friendly. They advertised a large list of Sabres players and alumni, but all I saw was Daren Puppa, John Scott, Ric Seiling, and Dave Shultz (what, 30 games as a Sabre?)

This sounds about right.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

If you're the carolina owner and you're unhappy with your road jerseys, you should probably come up with something better than their new replacement.

If you're going to talk about a new jersey, you should probably come up with a pic of said jersey.  It's not hard.

eca0a8muiaevstp.jpg

But yeah.  Ugly.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

If you're the carolina owner and you're unhappy with your road jerseys, you should probably come up with something better than their new replacement.

Or at least give whoever's designing said new sweaters more than MS Paint and a 1 day window to design said sweaters.

That was a truly week effort.  (Please somebody tell me that Don Waddell came up with them.  THAT would be awesome.)

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Or at least give whoever's designing said new sweaters more than MS Paint and a 1 day window to design said sweaters.

That was a truly week effort.  (Please somebody tell me that Don Waddell came up with them.  THAT would be awesome.)

I can’t wait until someone quickly identifies which readily available don’t they used. Even better, once there’s a Captain C on there, it will help to push the candy canes nickname (was that one of yours?).

• Haha (+1) 1

Sabres firmly at the bottom of his predictive model for the coming season, 4th last. These lists have been coming out the last several summers and we’ve found ways to lambast the recent low rankings of the Sabres. They’ve been proven accurate too often lately for me to remain too optimistic they’ll be wrong THIS time..

Let’s hope Botterill still has some changes planned on the horizon.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Sabres firmly at the bottom of his predictive model for the coming season, 4th last. These lists have been coming out the last several summers and we’ve found ways to lambast the recent low rankings of the Sabres. They’ve been proven accurate too often lately for me to remain too optimistic they’ll be wrong THIS time..

Let’s hope Botterill still has some changes planned on the horizon.

2015 Eichel and O’Reilly are here!

2016 We’re on the way up, baby!

2017 It was Murray and Bylsma’s fault!

2018 We got Dahlin! And Mittelstadt is on the way too!

After all the hope leading to disappointment of the past 4 summers, it will take more than Vesey, Miller and some soccer coach to spark some enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I can’t wait until someone quickly identifies which readily available don’t they used. Even better, once there’s a Captain C on there, it will help to push the candy canes nickname (was that one of yours?).

The name's Kane, ... Kahn-dee Kane.  (Connery was awesome.)

Sadly, pretty sure I can't claim credit to the Candy Canes.  (Mine were Snarks, Phlyers, & Otters; and due to them coming in a year later hosing the Sabres out of a mid-level useful player, the Seattle ####heads (though, still expect that won't garner enough traction to stick, sadly).)  Though was definitely an early adapter if the CC's.  (Would have to go back to that tragic series to figure out who did start that one.)

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

2015 Eichel and O’Reilly are here!

2016 We’re on the way up, baby!

2017 It was Murray and Bylsma’s fault!

2018 We got Dahlin! And Mittelstadt is on the way too!

After all the hope leading to disappointment of the past 4 summers, it will take more than Vesey, Miller and some soccer coach to spark some enthusiasm.

I’d just like for them to start winning some games. I know that’s probably just too much to ask for for this coming season. 

Edited by Thorny