Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

23 hours ago, shrader said:

Jason Pominville is currently second in the recent searches on hockeydatabase (2nd in the last 5 minues, 1st in the last hour).  Has there been some news on him? 

Apparently there was a piece in the Athletic talking about his options for this year.  It's mentioned in this TSN link.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Apparently there was a piece in the Athletic talking about his options for this year.  It's mentioned in this TSN link.

It says Montreal may be interested, not clear if Jason is interested in Montreal.

He is interested in Buffalo and the family will live there regardless of what happens. The Sabres have told him that door isn’t closed yet.

He wants to play and is part of a group of veterans around the league who have been told by GMs they will have to wait until the RFA situation gets sorted out.

38 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Money does not change people, it unmasks them.

Do you find it ironic that the hometown favorite Marner is still holding out while the money hungry Matthews is signed?  Not to mention Nylander paved the way for him to hold out.  He showed that the young leafs will actually sit out.  Yet Matthews signed.  I hope beyond hope that you are right about him but nothing has played out the way you think regarding Matthews.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Do you find it ironic that the hometown favorite Marner is still holding out while the money hungry Matthews is signed?  Not to mention Nylander paved the way for him to hold out.  He showed that the young leafs will actually sit out.  Yet Matthews signed.  I hope beyond hope that you are right about him but nothing has played out the way you think regarding Matthews.  

On the contrary I find it quite telling that young Auston opted for a short 5 year deal instead of committing long term to the Leafs.

One thing is for certain, he IS committed... committed to $$$$

Also, if he was committed to the city of Toronto, he would've taken a lesser AAV for a longer term which would've allowed the Leafs to fit Marner under the cap this offseason.    But alas, Auston's actions only confirm the idea that he does not care about long term team success.

Edited by pi2000
  • Haha (+1) 1

To be fair to Mike, Auston is not yet prime Datsyuk or Zetterberg. 

I watched several games in Auston's 12 or 13 game scoring drought, and the effort level, especially on defense, was something two tiers worse than the worst we've ever seen from Jack. There was a particular play that led to a goal against in a game against Detroit that had me baffled. That wasn't yet a guy I'd want to give 21 minutes per game. 

He's really good outside of that stretch though, and Babs knows it. 

How does the NHL schedule work? I know we get a 1-1 home-away with at least every team in the league, but how's it broken down after that? i.e. how many times do we play our division rivals or other eastern conference teams?

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How does the NHL schedule work? I know we get a 1-1 home-away with at least every team in the league, but how's it broken down after that? i.e. how many times do we play our division rivals or other eastern conference teams?

Perhaps this helps ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

For the division I believe it is now three and three and conference two and two, but I’ve been wrong before 

Edited by #freejame
See below. Another instance of being wrong.
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, #freejame said:

For the division I believe it is now three and three and conference two and two, but I’ve been wrong before 

In the Eastern conference, it is four (two and two) in the division, three (two and one, unbalanced) in the conference, and two (one and one) against the Western conference.

Only 28 of the Sabres' 82 games are against so-called division "rivals," which is probably why the NHL felt the need to ***** around with the playoff system again.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It's 3 games against the rest of the conference.  I've been on the rotation out here for a few years now where the Sabres are in town once one year and then twice the next.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

In the Eastern conference, it is four (two and two) in the division, three (two and one, unbalanced) in the conference, and two (one and one) against the Western conference.

Only 28 of the Sabres' 82 games are against so-called division "rivals," which is probably why the NHL felt the need to ***** around with the playoff system again.

It used to be eight per division before the realignment, right? And then four per division in your conference and a home and home rotation every year out west?

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It used to be eight per division before the realignment, right? And then four per division in your conference and a home and home rotation every year out west?

That is how I remember it, and then it went down to six per division, I think.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:57 PM, WildCard said:

Drury is an assistant GM.  I thought you couldn't block an employee seeking a promotion.  Obviously, GM would be a promotion.  I may be thinking about the NFL.  Or maybe a team  CAN block a promotional opportunity but usually do not.  I thought that's how the Sabres were able to pry the new goalie coach from the Canes.  He went from goalie coach to an assistant head coach.

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

Drury is an assistant GM.  I thought you couldn't block an employee seeking a promotion.  Obviously, GM would be a promotion.  I may be thinking about the NFL.  Or maybe a team  CAN block a promotional opportunity but usually do not.  I thought that's how the Sabres were able to pry the new goalie coach from the Canes.  He went from goalie coach to an assistant head coach.

I think Drury is next in line to being the GM or president of the NYR. It’s his childhood favorite team. He is from Connecticut. His wife has family close to if not in that region. He doesn’t want to go anywhere. I’d bet he was asked if he wanted to speak to other teams because they asked about him, and Drury said “no not interested”, so he “allowed” NYR to block any interview. He wants to stay put. He’s exactly where he wants to be making great money doing it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think Drury is next in line to being the GM or president of the NYR. It’s his childhood favorite team. He is from Connecticut. His wife has family close to if not in that region. He doesn’t want to go anywhere. I’d bet he was asked if he wanted to speak to other teams because they asked about him, and Drury said “no not interested”, so he “allowed” NYR to block any interview. He wants to stay put. He’s exactly where he wants to be making great money doing it.

Yes his wife's family is from Stamford CT area... was trained in xray by her father.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yes his wife's family is from Stamford CT area... was trained in xray by her father.

Like X-ray vision?  I thought you could get that from sending in coupons from the back of comic books.

• Haha (+1) 1