Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

Not surprising but

It appears Mitch Marner's contract saga with the Toronto Maple Leafs could be the catalyst that finally gets this summer's star-studded group of restricted free agents moving.

Agents of other high-profile RFAs are waiting for Marner to sign first to set the market, a source told The Athletic's Joe Smith.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1804343/amp

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Wild have fired Paul Fenton as GM 

The story on Fenton was he was a smart hockey man, but also a dick that Poile kept in line.

Wondering how much of this is personality, because no GM can deviate from the plan he sold to an owner enough in one year to get dismissed for shredding a roster.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The story on Fenton was he was a smart hockey man, but also a dick that Poile kept in line.

Wondering how much of this is personality, because no GM can deviate from the plan he sold to an owner enough in one year to get dismissed for shredding a roster.

Yes, I remember that he was basically Poile’s right hand man for a number of years, but also that he is especially unpersonable, and that was the main reason that he went so long without getting a GM job.  So, yes, I also wonder if a big part of this was a personal problem Fenton and either the owner or others high up in the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Per the athletic article (per a reddit user because I don't have the athletic)

It looks like it's not due to one situation, but a "series of arguably bad trades and other personnel matters, along with internal issues that, sources said, created low morale throughout the hockey operations department and dressing room".

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I dunno, if a GM shows to be clearly as in over his head as Fenton, I think cutting bait is better than letting more damage be done. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

As noted here and elsewhere upthread, that's what I saw on the Tweeter: There was a uniquely, weirdly low morale under this guy's leadership. In a short amount of time.

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Haha - that is awesome.

Not for nothing: I think some guy recently got a big ol' ugly ticket from the DEC for having his large dog catch, take down, and kill (!!!) a white tail at a park in Tonawanda.

33 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Anyone ever notice that your average NHL franchise is run by kind of dumb people?

You are of course correct in some instances, however, it’s probably more difficult than it looks from my couch.

26 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Having money doesn't make you smart.

This is so true in life.  There are so many dumb rich people.  Makes me think alot of them must have inherited it or are extremely smart at their chosen profession but lack in several other areas.

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This is so true in life.  There are so many dumb rich people.  Makes me think alot of them must have inherited it or are extremely smart at their chosen profession but lack in several other areas.

You don't need to be smart to make money. By my accounts when opportunity meets manipulation, money is made. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Looks like Olafsson will become the first Sabre to wear #68...

F813F975-A5D3-41D3-B076-50DBB269EDB4.jpeg

Twelve new players would be more impressive if I thought more than four or five of them were going to play much.

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If I tee up 3 average golfers in different places (let's be honest most of us are average).  One in the tee box, one in the middle of the fairway, and one 100 yards into the trees behind the back tee more often than not the scores will end up exactly the way you'd think they would. If you rearrange the golfers on every hole based on the score on the previous hole (best score up front, worst in the back) you'd find that the person hacking their way out of the woods to even get to the tee box will have a really hard time catching the person who starts from the tee let alone the person in the fairway while the person on the tee would have the occasional amazing hole and beat the person in the fairway who made a bunch of poor shots on a given hole.  Imagine each hole as a generation of a family.  I speak as a person who pretty much started off in the fairway.  All I had to do was keep the ball in play and I'd be ok but there was room for error.  My Dad and his siblings started off in the trees and my Dad played the hole of his life while his siblings never got out of the woods.  That analogy applies to most people I encounter in the world.  Then there are another, much smaller group of people, who start 6 feet from the hole and just have to 4 putt to stay there on the next hole.  Is it possible to mess up from 6 feet from the hole?  Sure, but you have to intentionally do a series of very stupid things to fail and skill really doesn't even come into play in terms of succeeding.

Great analogy. See also: Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. You're forgetting the element of luck. You have guys like Terry who didn't start in the woods behind the tee, but inside a cave in the woods. He hacked his ball out and worked hard to even get to the fairway. But along the way an osprey is going to pick up his ball and drop it six inches from the cup.

• Haha (+1) 1