Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s quite a detailed article for a breaking story and much longer than what I’m used to seeing from our beat guys.

unfortunately, they still have Bryan Trottier as an asssistant with the Sabres.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

According to wikipedia, the J.T. in J.T. Miller's name stands for Jimothy Timothy. Is that real?

Thank god we didnt trade Risto for Jimothy Timothy 

Elite Prospects says Jonathan Tanner, I'll go with EP

This is sad.  I wonder about a history of concussions and the aftermath in dealing with them.  There is no real information coming out, but it appears that another former NHLer took his own life.  Sad, just sad.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/greg-johnson-death-predators-nhl-suicide-1.5215925

I kind of remember him, but not really.  That doesn't really matter, though.

15 hours ago, shrader said:

That's a bit of an odd choice.  He wasn't the least bit successful in Carolina.  There must have been better options out there.

He did pry Teravainen out of Chicago for nothing. 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

He did pry Teravainen out of Chicago for nothing. 

I'm sure you could find a positive trade somewhere on Mike Milbury's list too.  Zero playoff appearances over a GM's tenure is all I need to see for a basic summary of his performance.  Now maybe you give that kind of guy a shot when you need a GM today.  But Seattle had so much more time to shop around or even wait until someone else became available.  It's definitely a head scratcher.

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If he’s competent as a GM ... yes, a good hire. We’ll know in a couple years.

He certainly has the HOF player thing happening.  Probably top 10 all time, but he was run out of Carolina after spending most of his career in that organization going back to The Whale days.  I really do miss The Whale.  Time will tell, but a lot is going to depend on how they manage the expansion draft.  If he can come close to replicating Vegas then he will be off to a head start.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He certainly has the HOF player thing happening.  Probably top 10 all time, but he was run out of Carolina after spending most of his career in that organization going back to The Whale days.  I really do miss The Whale.  Time will tell, but a lot is going to depend on how they manage the expansion draft.  If he can come close to replicating Vegas then he will be off to a head start.

I caught one of his interviews with local sports radio on the drive home from work. Seems measured, calculating. I like that he did scouting, then assistant GM, then on the bench for a season, then back to assistant GM in his years leading up to this gig. He's dabbled everywhere. He's JBot-esque learning under Rutherford and building up an AHL roster as AGM (he was the overseer of this year's Calder Cup champ Charlotte Checkers. Wow, many Cs there.

It's all about the expansion draft. He has a harder job than McPhee did because the league's front offices are going to protect themselves much better. But with the same parameters he'll still make a killing in accumulating picks to take the players that the other teams want to give up.

14 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Wait--are you saying that Ron Francis is a top ten player of all time?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Wait--are you saying that Ron Francis is a top ten player of all time?

I've always called him overrated, and that was before he just inexplicably was thrown in the top ten.  I was one of those guys who was on the Adam Oates HoF train every single year he was passed over.  Take a look at him and Francis, a first ballot inductee from the same era, side by side.  There are only two differences: longevity and riding the coattails of a superteam to back to back cups.  These were both really good players worth of the HoF, but there's a long list of busts I would flock to first if I ever make it back to that building.