Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

There's no way the NHL let's that happen though. They love that market and team, they'll figure out some way to have Nashville avoid that penalty

I can't see Weber playing more than 3 years still.    Its a big cap hit but not a crippling one.     If he playes another 5 years and retires then its another matter.

Also I think they would just work out a deal where they trade for him and put him on LTIR.

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I can't see Weber playing more than 3 years still.    Its a big cap hit but not a crippling one.     If he playes another 5 years and retires then its another matter.

Also I think they would just work out a deal where they trade for him and put him on LTIR.

That cap hit would be crippling to a team IMO

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think 4.9 mill for 4 more years is doable, its after age 36 it gets crippling for me.

Wait that's the level the cap hit stays at for however much longer the contract goes? It doesn't go up?

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

There's no way the NHL let's that happen though. They love that market and team, they'll figure out some way to have Nashville avoid that penalty

Nashville would probably trade for Weber and place him on LTIR. 

TBH that contract was signed prior to the last CBA, the cap recapture rules shouldn’t apply to it. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

TBH that contract was signed prior to the last CBA, the cap recapture rules shouldn’t apply to it. 

That would be Nashville's best course of action.

Your 2nd point has merit, but the CBA specifically states that the recapture would only have been avoided by the Preds had they made the trade prior to the current CBA taking effect.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I'm pretty sure they put language into the new CBA that specifically mentions that.  I'm sure we can look up a pre-CBA contract that has already cause a recapture hit.  Luongo's must have been from that time frame, right?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Wait that's the level the cap hit stays at for however much longer the contract goes? It doesn't go up?

Yes, the cap hit stays the same based upon retirement date.  Cap hit-Actual salary paid.

52 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The Preds gained ~$24.6MMin cap space over the 4 seasons Weber played for them prior to bei g traded ($14MM actual salary each year w/ a $7.857MM cap hit).  Should he retire, rather than play out the deal or go on career ending LTIR, they will have to "recapture" that via equal installments over however many years were left on the contract when he retires.

There are 7 years left on the deal.  Should he retire today, they'd have their cap reduced by ~$3.5MM for each of the next 7 years.  Should he retire in 2 years, after the lockout ;), then they lose almost $5MM each of the remaining 5 years of the deal.  And should he retire in '25, they catch the whole ~$24MM for '25-'26.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

The Preds would figure it out first. I think if they got word he’s retiring they’d trade for his contract and buy it out. I believe that’d avoid the penalties.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The Preds gained ~$24.6MMin cap space over the 4 seasons Weber played for them prior to bei g traded ($14MM actual salary each year w/ a $7.857MM cap hit).  Should he retire, rather than play out the deal or go on career ending LTIR, they will have to "recapture" that via equal installments over however many years were left on the contract when he retires.

There are 7 years left on the deal.  Should he retire today, they'd have their cap reduced by ~$3.5MM for each of the next 7 years.  Should he retire in 2 years, after the lockout ;), then they lose almost $5MM each of the remaining 5 years of the deal.  And should he retire in '25, they catch the whole ~$24MM for '25-'26.

Yes, but it will never happen. He'll likely retire before the 2022-2023  season when his actual salary drops to $3 million and certainly before the last 3 years when he'd only earn $1 million per year. Either that or he'll contract that fake Hossa skin condition where he's allergic to only playing for $1 million and he ends up getting traded to Ottawa, Carolina, or Phoenix.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/shea-weber-1859/

29 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

To say nothing of the dad bod he's currently rocking. 

My fat ass should be the last person to comment on anyone else’s level of fitness, but he does have approximately nine weeks before TC Starts. He should be OK .