Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Looks great on tv when the smaller rink is filled to capacity. With Winnipeg having well under a million people, it’s still an impressive stat.

Outside of the Leafs, Rangers, Islanders, Sharks, Hawks, and Stars, I would bet all other cities have under a million population

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Outside of the Leafs, Rangers, Islanders, Sharks, Hawks, and Stars, I would bet all other cities have under a million population

Kings. Panthers. Canes (?). Montreal. ... 

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
Calgary ... Vancouver ...

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Buffalo SMA:    1.1 million

Tampa SMA:     3.1 million.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Damn I had the Kings and forgot them. Montreal maybe? No way on the Panthers and Hurricanes

Montreal is definitely over 1 million.  Panthers is basically Miami and Fort Lauderdale, no?

Hurricanes ... I guess not.

Would they not count the metropolitan areas?

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Montreal is definitely over 1 million.  Panthers is basically Miami and Fort Lauderdale, no?

If they were to count the metro areas than I would bet there's only a handful of teams that are below 1M

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Yeah, SMA includes the surrounds ...  Tampa includes St Pete and Clearwater ...

What does SMA stand for though? Surrounding Metro Area?

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If they were to count the metro areas than I would bet there's only a handful of teams that are below 1M

What does SMA stand for though? Surrounding Metro Area?

SMA, when used correctly and not as a nincompoop (me) would, is the MSA, or Metropolitan Statistical Area.  Oooops.

For Buffalo, it’s Erie and Niagara Counties.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

SMA, when used correctly and not as a nincompoop (me) would, is the MSA, or Metropolitan Statistical Area.  Oooops.

For Buffalo, it’s Erie and Niagara Counties.

And the entirety of the NP is completely ignored regardless of how many people cross the river on any given day.

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Raleigh's metro population has to be well over a million.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Never realized how small the Jets' rink was

There was no way we were getting a team back until a city with an arena that small was a feasible option in the modern NHL. 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Raleigh's metro population has to be well over a million.

Since we moved here, I’ve heard comments about Wake county reaching their 1 millionth resident. And that doesn’t count large areas like Chapel Hill and Durham. 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Since we moved here, I’ve heard comments about Wake county reaching their 1 millionth resident. And that doesn’t count large areas like Chapel Hill and Durham. 

Wake county I'd guess is definitely over a million. The city of Raleigh alone has to be about 400-500k. If you include the whole triangle region (Raleigh-wake county,  Durham- Durham county and Chapel Hill- orange county) I'd guess it's in the 2 million neighborhood.  Whatever it is, I know the road infrastructure here cant support all the droves of people moving here. Traffic here in the last 5 years went from being just an annoyance to sucking major balls.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Standing room only would be my guess. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but Buffalo hasn’t had SRO since the Aud.

Not only haven't they had SRO since those days; they've only been allowed to use all the seats in the building for a few months.  (Thaaaaanks, Larry.  Heck of a job, Quinny. <_< )