Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

Lol, so is Shero a good GM then? We could have done something like that and then still had Risto to build something around for a 2C, no? 

Subban had a down year but was a Norris finalist the season before. 

Did Nashville not retain anything? That could explain it. 

They really want Hall to stay.

Jason, start trading with these cap-strapped teams.

Man, that Marleau trade and to an extent the Subban Trade are why I always push that the team needs to weaponize cap space.  And why I shake my head when people respond that they don’t want any other teams overplayed castoffs.  Carolina just helped themselves a lot.

Dubis may still be a genius like leaf fans say but when they signed marleau I was shocked.  Not for the money they gave but thought for sure it would be a two year deal.  It was obvious two years ago that Matthews and Marner were due raises this year.  Why did dubas agree to a three year deal?  Was marleau worth a first rounder for two years of use?

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Dang

Edited by Derrico

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Lol, so is Shero a good GM then? We could have done something like that and then still had Risto to build something around for a 2C, no? 

Subban had a down year but was a Norris finalist the season before. 

Did Nashville not retain anything? That could explain it. 

They really want Hall to stay.

Jason, start trading with these cap-strapped teams.

And wasn’t his down year because he was injured for most of it?

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Dubis may still be a genius like leaf fans say but when they signed marleau I was shocked.  Not for the money they gave but thought for sure it would be a two year deal.  It was obvious two years ago that Matthews and Marner were due raises this year.  Why did dubas agree to a three year deal?  Was marleau worth a first rounder for two years of use?

Dang

Lamoriello was the GM when they signed Marleau. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Lamoriello was the GM when they signed Marleau. 

I see.  He was agm though was he not?  Even then I thought  Lamoriello was only there a year or two to show him the ropes.  Dubis has to have had a say I would think.  I even remember the signing thinking how strange it was giving a big 3 year deal out to marleau when all cap projections had to have shown a crunch for the last year of the deal.  Two years would have made sense but maybe that’s all marleau would leave for and leafs obviously thought it still worth it.

Just now, Derrico said:

I see.  He was agm though was he not?  Even then I thought  Lamoriello was only there a year or two to show him the ropes.  Dubis has to have had a say I would think.  I even remember the signing thinking how strange it was giving a big 3 year deal out to marleau when all cap projections had to have shown a crunch for the last year of the deal.  Two years would have made sense but maybe that’s all marleau would leave for and leafs obviously thought it still worth it.

I'd be equal parts surprised if Dubas supported the move and if he had any kind of real say. Lou doesn't strike me as the type to let a 30 year old talk him out of something. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Florida signs Bob and/or Breadman, is another playoffless year all but guaranteed?

are we expecting any real shake up in this line up or broadly bar maybe a depth signing or two this will be the team we ice?

i know there haven’t been many trades, but it seems Risto will go for scraps if he does get traded (based on other trades) and what else do we really have to offer anyone?

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Coaching has held the team so far back, I wouldn’t be so pessimistic with next season even if not many faces change. 

This is where I’m at too. A new coach and 3-4 new players on the roster will HOPEFULLY pay dividends in the standings.