Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

Complete rundown of new rules:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-rule-changes-for-2019-20-season/c-307949196

Couple of interesting,  small ones involve the attacking team's choice of where the faceoff will be after an icing and at the start of a power play and the requirement that a player who loses his helmet must exit the ice or replace it immediately (with an obvious exception).

I like those changes. I think the NHL is doing a good job with the rules for safety and integrity of the game. Except the last one. 

PUCK OUT OF BOUNDS: When the attacking team is responsible for the puck going out of play in the attacking zone, in all instances, the face-off will be conducted at one of the two face-off dots in the attacking zone.

i could see teams taking advantage of this and intentionally putting a puck out of play if they are out of place to reset. 

1 hour ago, bobs0108 said:

I like those changes. I think the NHL is doing a good job with the rules for safety and integrity of the game. Except the last one. 

PUCK OUT OF BOUNDS: When the attacking team is responsible for the puck going out of play in the attacking zone, in all instances, the face-off will be conducted at one of the two face-off dots in the attacking zone.

i could see teams taking advantage of this and intentionally putting a puck out of play if they are out of place to reset.

Wouldn't expect that teams will intentionally shoot the puck out of the zone because they're getting gassed on O.

But how much more valuable would  Zhitnik have been if all those neutral zone faceoffs he created through the years were offensive zone faceoffs.  That 1 change alone might have gotten the Sabres 2-3 Stanley Cups.

• Haha (+1) 4

• spndnchz unlocked, unlocked and pinned this topic
18 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I might be doing this wrong, but it looks like Friedman tweeted that no line changes are allowed if a player shoots the puck from beyond the red line on goal and the goalie decides to freeze it. Jack likes to do that from time to time, he's gonna have to move his feet now.

I might be misreading you. But it's the goalie's team that can't change.

So, if you ice the puck because you're tired, you might now be inclined to chase after it anyway. Which could open things up the other way, or occasionally give you a gift. Or maybe it changes nothing because it's fairly rare for those pucks to hit the goalie much less them not have enough time to move it safely

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So, if you ice the puck because you're tired, you might now be inclined to chase after it anyway. Which could open things up the other way, or occasionally give you a gift. Or maybe it changes nothing because it's fairly rare for those pucks to hit the goalie much less them not have enough time to move it safely

Really see this as more of another attempt by the league to reencourage the home run pass to a skater hanging high in the neutral zone. (They tried to forgive icing on passes that just missed the mark, but rarely had linesmen actually waive off icing.)  If that pass misses but ends up on the goalie, he can't just cover it unless he wants to treat it like his team just iced it.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really see this as more of another attempt by the league to reencourage the home run pass to a skater hanging high in the neutral zone. (They tried to forgive icing on passes that just missed the mark, but rarely had linesmen actually waive off icing.)  If that pass misses but ends up on the goalie, he can't just cover it unless he wants to treat it like his team just iced it.

This whole thing has me toying with the idea of only allowing line changed while the game is ongoing. It’s probably a bit too extreme, but it’s an interesting one.

I’ll probably settle back on my thought for a while of not allowing a change after any rule violation. Icing, offside, and the big one... penalties. Just imagine the chaos of having to start a PK situation with three forwards and on D. And then the rare case where both defensemen take a penalty at the same time...

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

This whole thing has me toying with the idea of only allowing line changed while the game is ongoing. It’s probably a bit too extreme, but it’s an interesting one.

I’ll probably settle back on my thought for a while of not allowing a change after any rule violation. Icing, offside, and the big one... penalties. Just imagine the chaos of having to start a PK situation with three forwards and on D. And then the rare case where both defensemen take a penalty at the same time...

Well, that would increase scoring chances.  It also would probably result in increased injuries as guys trapped in their own end would be on the ice literally for minutes on end.

Just now, Taro T said:

Well, that would increase scoring chances.  It also would probably result in increased injuries as guys trapped in their own end would be on the ice literally for minutes on end.

I don’t think there’d be any more risk than the current icing rule. 

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don’t think there’d be any more risk than the current icing rule. 

Waiting until you can get out of your own end before changing in the 2nd period would literally have guys standing in place hoping the puck would bounce off them & land close enough to their stick to be able to launch it mostly down the ice & get at least a couple of fresh bodies on the ice.  It would look like a badly matched beer league game.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Waiting until you can get out of your own end before changing in the 2nd period would literally have guys standing in place hoping the puck would bounce off them & land close enough to their stick to be able to launch it mostly down the ice & get at least a couple of fresh bodies on the ice.  It would look like a badly matched beer league game.

Time out called. Goalie covers the puck. Offense scores a goal. There are plenty of scenarios where that is avoided and the line change is made. What you’re describing would happen, but I don’t think it would be all that common.