Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

Appreciate the contribution, as always.

I think “qualification” is very often used to weed out anybody who has experiences that might lead them to alter the field or landscape they’re entering. I believe something like a diversity council doesn’t necessitate qualifications of professional nature (though Kim certainly has those, as well).

A few months back there was a debate about who is more qualified to be president: Trump or rapper Cardi B (who I imagine many of you have never heard of). While I think neither are within a stone’s throw of being able to run the country, I don’t think you can give an edge to either as far as “qualifications” go. Cardi lived and learned on the streets, forced to interact with poor humans she relates to and rich one’s who sought her services as a dancer. She had to overcome a lot on the streets and would have far more insight into what the people on the street need to survive than Trump would. But people look at Trump as at least more qualified than a rapper who came from nothing because he’s done... business deals?

Qualifications are a sham in many cases where the positions don’t require a learned skill.

Given that one of very few requirements for the position is age, that whole "debate" seems pretty pointless, doesn't it??

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Because it's a diversity and inclusion council formed from ownership ranks (or, I guess, their equivalent (like what Ted Black used to do as alternate governor)). Kim's from at least 2 demographics that, we may infer, the NHL is seeking to include more (women, people of color). 

Thank you for the honest answer.

12 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Against my better judgment, I'm going to engage in a conversation where I have zero hope of changing an opinion. Whatever you may think of how Kim Pegula came to her position, she has now been in a leadership position in a major sports organization (PSE) for years. She has a demographic profile that is incredibly rare at the executive level in any billion dollar industry, to say nothing of professional sports. I think she's quite well qualified for this role.

You can change my opinion. I'm not ossified. I just think the person in that role should be someone whose life story will be compelling to an audience of, say, young women of color. When Kim is telling that story, what is it she's going to tell them she overcame on her way to naming herself team president?

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You can change my opinion. I'm not ossified. I just think the person in that role should be someone whose life story will be compelling to an audience of, say, young women of color. When Kim is telling that story, what is it she's going to tell them she overcame on her way to naming herself team president?

Uh...

Pegula was born in SeoulSouth Korea. She has no recollection of her birth name, no record of her biological parents nor any account of her life in South Korea, only her date of birth, a secondhand account of being abandoned in the streets of Seoul at the age of five, and a DNA test that showed one of her parents was likely Japanese. She was brought to the United States and there adopted by Ralph and Marilyn Kerr on December 30, 1974. She grew up with her adopted family in Fairport, New York, a suburb of Rochester.[2] 

Have you ever overcame being abandoned as a child or dealt with being an immigrant in a country who’s language you don’t speak? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Thank you for the honest answer.

Um, you're welcome (?). There's no mystery here.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've come some distance in mistrusting and/or being skeptical of the Pegulas, but this stuff is still a bridge too far.

11 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Have you ever overcame being abandoned as a child or dealt with being an immigrant in a country who’s language you don’t speak? 

Pish posh.

Please focus instead on how she pushed up her modest breasts while waiting tables at that southern tier restaurant and thereby caught the eye of a middle-aged oil and gas speculator.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This league is ***** stupid.

Quoting myself here to say that the league is stupid both because of how it’s run from the top and because all the GMs are gigantic pansies. Stop coming up with excuses not to make moves and just go for it. A small difference in the salary cap shouldn’t stop you from building your team. You can hash out the numbers later.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Please focus instead on how she pushed up her modest breasts while waiting tables at that southern tier restaurant and thereby caught the eye of a middle-aged oil and gas speculator.

You're the only one who's focusing on her breasts, or ever has. See also: shoes.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

So not answering the question. Got it.

You're the one not answering. If there are no qualifications for the position, how did Kim get it? Why be so obtuse? You've been around the world of media, marketing, communications and PR enough.

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Uh...

Pegula was born in SeoulSouth Korea. She has no recollection of her birth name, no record of her biological parents nor any account of her life in South Korea, only her date of birth, a secondhand account of being abandoned in the streets of Seoul at the age of five, and a DNA test that showed one of her parents was likely Japanese. She was brought to the United States and there adopted by Ralph and Marilyn Kerr on December 30, 1974. She grew up with her adopted family in Fairport, New York, a suburb of Rochester.[2] 

I'm sure she picked up English and assimilated to life in America quite quickly. She's fully American. After those early-life issues, she won the equivalent of three Powerballs: getting adopted by a nice American couple and having a good life in the suburbs and getting to go to college; drawing the attention of Mr. Pegula as a waitress and soon after that getting a job at East Resources and marrying the man; and that man then cashing in for several billion dollars and buying two professional sports franchises, paving the way for her to name herself president of both. Poor Kim.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You're the only one who's focusing on her breasts, or ever has. See also: shoes.

You're the one not answering. If there are no qualifications for the position, how did Kim get it? Why be so obtuse? You've been around the world of media, marketing, communications and PR enough.

I’m saying the popular concept of qualifications is overrated. “Qualifications” shouldn’t be applied as defined by the masses.

But I’m certainly not the one not answering considering I posed a question first.

Edited by Hoss

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I’d say “touche’,” but that was more of a duck.

You’re accusing others of being obtuse, but you are not (presently being) forthright about the basis/bases of your misgivings on this subject. On questioning, you have been in the past.

I wonder how much the uncertainty about the Cap is affecting JBot with Risto.  Several of the potential suitors have almost no room to manoeuver and may "force" him to take on an extra cap dump to make the money work out.

Just now, Zamboni said:

I’m surprised some can call others obtuse. 

I am at 98.6 degrees.  That is greater than 90, so certainly I am obtuse.  (sorry)

• Haha (+1) 1