Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Dallas Eakins to be names coach of the Ducks this week. 

The wait to hire him (after they talked to others) sure must make Eakins feel real good. 

On 6/15/2019 at 8:01 PM, Brawndo said:

I see them report a trade in this way and I have to assume that Kahun is one of those guys who only have one name.  Am I crazy to think that they should be listing the full name even in a twitter post?

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Maatta is just a guy that never seemed to piece it all together for some reason or another. Looked up his stats and was surprised about how poor they are

Wasn't the hype off the charts for him when they picked him, at least relative to a later 1st round guy?

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

San Jose signs Karlsson 8X11+. He'll be 37 when the deal expires.

They are going to regret this one bigtime.  Not just because of age, but also because of injuries.  Of course, there's always the chance that a new CBA allows teams to walk away from albatross contracts.

Edited by Eleven
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Wasn't the hype off the charts for him when they picked him, at least relative to a later 1st round guy?

Yup that's what I remember as well, that's why I was so surprised when I checked out his stats

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They are going to regret this one bigtime.  Not just because of age, but also because of injuries.  Of course, there's always the chance that a new CBA allows teams to walk away from albatross contracts.

They know their window to win a Cup isn't going to get any better than it is now

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Haven't we been saying this for the whole decade?

Haha yup, and they've replaced that old core of Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski    with Couture - Meier - Hertl

So whoever is scouting/drafting/developing for the Sharks, good on them

Phaneuf was bought out

Dion Phaneuf's contract was bought out by the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.

The 34-year-old defenseman had two seasons remaining on a seven-year contract he signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 31, 2013.

Phaneuf had six points (one goal, five assists) in 67 games with the Kings this season, and 16 points (four goals, 12 assists) in 93 games over the past two seasons

https://www.nhl.com/news/los-angeles-kings-dion-phaneuf-bought-out/c-307865994

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

If not for the injury history, I'd expect this deal would work out; but just can't see him being able to play for the entire length of that.

The Snarks better hope that the next CBA doesn't add some sort of penalty to keep LTIR/ retired player contracts counting against the cap.

19 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Phaneuf was bought out

Ottawa gets a cap hit from that buyout too.  Looking back, I'm a little surprised that Toronto was able to get away with not taking back some of his salary when he was traded there.  Otherwise, they'd be on the hook for cap hit as well.

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

San Jose signs Karlsson 8X11+. He'll be 37 when the deal expires.

The way teams target him, hopefully he won't expire before his deal does.  There will be a lot of miles on that body at 37.  But, good for him and his family, and glad he's in the western conference.

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

So how does Matta get you a young 40 pt rookie winger, and Trouba only gets you a young 26pt defenseman.  Man these NHL GM's are all over the place.

If Risto is moved it better be for 2C and prospect!!

$$$