Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

Watch him go to Tampa and Cooper/Hedman make him a star. At the very least, what we all hoped/thought he was: a solid #2/3 d-man

Of course he would be. Well maybe not a "star." But the guy scored 40 points a year from the back end in Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Actually John Shannon is reporting that Ken Holland will be President of Hockey Ops and Yzerman will be GM of the Wings 

I think it was McKenzie who I saw Tweet to the effect that Holland was the person who made this happen, that he's happy to take a step back and act more as a consultant, but that he could potentially listen to GM position offers from organizations like Seattle and one other (was it Vancouver?!).

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

We’ve gone down this road in acquiring Kane, trading Kane, acquiring O’Reilly, trading O’Reilly, arguably acquiring Montour... this team has been telegraphing its moves for years now. I think Risto is out.

Oh like that time we talked about acquiring Skinner for months and then we did? Wait... 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah but of course Marian Ilitch calls the shots. I mean, why wouldn't she? She owns a hockey team! Seriously, good for the Wings. Another franchise that will leave the Sabres in the dust if they haven't already while we diddle around with a fantasy owner and a former Sabre at the helm.

So you don't think a former player from the team is a good choice for GM just because he's a former player, yet you admire the Red Wings hiring Steve Yzerman as a GM?

Your mind is a fascinating place, PA, I'll give you that.

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So you don't think a former player from the team is a good choice for GM just because he's a former player, yet you admire the Red Wings hiring Steve Yzerman as a GM?

How's that sort of thing worked out for the Bruins? The Avalanche?

Not for nothing: JBOT is not in the same stratum as any of those former players. The fact that he's a former Sabre is really just happenstance, IMO. It's far, far more significant that he spent time with the Penguins.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

How's that sort of thing worked out for the Bruins? The Avalanche?

Not for nothing: JBOT is not in the same stratum as any of those former players. The fact that he's a former Sabre is really just happenstance, IMO. It's far, far more significant that he spent time with the Penguins.

Much agreed.  He may or may not turn out to be a great GM, but the fact that he played for the Sabres (really, he had a cup of coffee here) has zero to do with it, is my point.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Actually John Shannon is reporting that Ken Holland will be President of Hockey Ops and Yzerman will be GM of the Wings 

This is the least surprising news of the off-season 

Btw if anyone was wondering just where Erik Karlsson was gonna end up, well...

Edited by WildCard

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Your mind is a fascinating place, PA, I'll give you that.

The reason I admire the Wings for hiring Yzerman has nothing to with his being a former player for them. I admire them because they brought into the fold someone who in his first season as GM got the Lightning into the conference finals one year after they missed the playoffs, took them to the Cup final (after which he won GM of the Year), got them back to the conference final last year and all along built a team that would go into the history books for regular season wins this season. And he was GM of Team Canada in the world tournament and executive director for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and 2014. His history as a player was way, way down the list of why he was hired.

Botterill? I'll go with Smell and revise my comment and go with —former Sabre and Penguin at the helm. Of course to believe Terry the biggest thing Jason has going for him is that he's the only three-time World Junior gold medal winner on God's green earth.

And thanks. Your mind is a bottomless pit of fascination as well.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The reason I admire the Wings for hiring Yzerman has nothing to with his being a former player for them. I admire them because they brought into the fold someone who in his first season as GM got the Lightning into the conference finals one year after they missed the playoffs, took them to the Cup final (after which he won GM of the Year), got them back to the conference final last year and all along built a team that would go into the history books for regular season wins this season. And he was GM of Team Canada in the world tournament and executive director for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and 2014. His history as a player was way, way down the list of why he was hired.

Botterill? I'll go with Smell and revise my comment and go with —former Sabre and Penguin at the helm. Of course to believe Terry the biggest thing Jason has going for him is that he's the only three-time World Junior gold medal winner on God's green earth.

And thanks. Your mind is a bottomless pit of fascination as well.

No offense PA, but it's really hard for me to admire a team that hired who is likely the best GM in the sport, or at the very least a top 3 guy at his job. There's no admiration coming from me for making a very easy decision

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah but of course Marian Ilitch calls the shots. I mean, why wouldn't she? She owns a hockey team! Seriously, good for the Wings. Another franchise that will leave the Sabres in the dust if they haven't already while we diddle around with a fantasy owner and a former Sabre at the helm.

Let’s see...Yzerman, Holland, Julien, Cassidy, Babcock, Dubas, Cooper, Brisebois, Quenville...

Thank god for Ottawa, eh?

Seriously, our best (only) course of action is to pray most of these guys are past their prime and that Botterill is at the vanguard of the new generation and the guy he is poised to hire is the same.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Let’s see...Yzerman, Holland, Julien, Cassidy, Babcock, Dubas, Cooper, Brisebois, Quenville...

Seriously, our best (only) course of action is to pray most of these guys are past their prime and that Botterill is at the vanguard of the new generation and the guy he is poised to hire is the same.

Dubas runs the show in Toronto. He isn't past any prime. 

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did I say he was?

You imply it. I was just commenting that Dubas certainly is not. 

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Cassidy and Yzerman should be in that list too

That’s the primary reason the word “primary” was used. ?

I really should have just said “Man there is a lot of high-profile managers and coaches with Buffalo’s competition. We need to hire the next big thing because it feels like most of the past and present big things are already have jobs in our division.”

?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1