Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

well-played.

i'll add: even if dude was properly reminiscing back on a summer of '69 in which he was merely 9 years old, i'd call BS on him having nostalgic thoughts about such times. because he'd only having been fookin' nine years old.

like, he was standing on some girl's momma's porch, exchanging pledges of fidelity, when he was nine years old? really?

He's admitted in interviews what that song was about.  It wasn't about a calendar year.  And you don't get a third guess if you get it wrong.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

Saw Twittering to the effect that the Leafs may have buyer's remorse with William Nylander. If memory serves, his deal was reasonable. Would they trade within the division?

They made a huge mistake with that signing.  He could have easily been flipped for some help on the blue line and they'd likely still be playing right now.  Instead they are saddled with his contract while trying to fit in Marner and others.

His lack of production makes it a hard trade.  They'd likely have to bundle something else in just to get him gone (or accept a lot less than they would have received had they traded him last fall).

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LTS said:

They made a huge mistake with that signing.  He could have easily been flipped for some help on the blue line and they'd likely still be playing right now.  Instead they are saddled with his contract while trying to fit in Marner and others.

His lack of production makes it a hard trade.  They'd likely have to bundle something else in just to get him gone (or accept a lot less than they would have received had they traded him last fall).

Or take a bad contract back? *COUGHCOUGHokposoCOUGH*

Nix that. Their salary issue with Nylander would likely preclude that as an option.

It was conceded by Dubus he made a mistake in his handling of the Nylander contract. One he does not intend to make again .  I believe this off season there will be some shocks in Toronto. Perhaps the three of Babcock , Nylander and even Marner elsewhere if price is right . 

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, millbank said:

It was conceded by Dubus he made a mistake in his handling of the Nylander contract. One he does not intend to make again .  I believe this off season there will be some shocks in Toronto. Perhaps the three of Babcock , Nylander and even Marner elsewhere if price is right . 

Hey millbank,

Good to see you, my friend.

I will speak for the Sabres on this matter you bring up and we will take all three of those off your hands.  Thanks.  

Well, maybe not Babsie, but Nylandsie and Marnsie for sure.

+++++

In other news, not really NHL related, but what the heck, eh?

The Mooseheads are playing in the Q final, so both teams will be going to the Memorial Cup no matter who wins it.  Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup this May and The Huskies will have an automatic birth even if they lose the final to Halifax.  A true win - win situation if there ever were one.

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

+++++

In other, other news ...

Ramadan is starting in 6, or 7, days depending on the sighting of the moon.

So, you will all have to carry on without me when I am on my annual Ramadan fast.  I know that some of you will be sad and some of you (hey, @shrader) will be planning a parade.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Babcock isn’t going anywhere for a least one more full season. As much as it would be interesting, it just isn’t going to happen. When I think of the whole Babcock being fired scenario I think of this ...

giphy.gif

Team at this will be taking a step back next season given the cap problems they have . Players will be leaving not added. There is no doubt Sheldon Keefe is General managers preference . It may sound silly but if Leafs could get Jack Hughes for Marner I believe they would . Team as constructed has plateaued and while good are not good enough to compete with the better teams.  Removing Nylander , not signing Marner for 10 million plus, changing Coach for younger ready coach would in player terms open up space to make make changes for substantial change . 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, millbank said:

Team at this will be taking a step back next season given the cap problems they have . Players will be leaving not added. There is no doubt Sheldon Keefe is General managers preference . It may sound silly but if Leafs could get Jack Hughes for Marner I believe they would . Team as constructed has plateaued and while good are not good enough to compete with the better teams.  Removing Nylander , not signing Marner for 10 million plus, changing Coach for younger ready coach would in player terms open up space to make make changes for substantial change . 

They just spent all this time rebuilding, it sounds weird (albeit it not incorrect) to hear about them retooling and taking a step back right now. Interesting 

16 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They just spent all this time rebuilding, it sounds weird (albeit it not incorrect) to hear about them retooling and taking a step back right now. Interesting 

They simply haven’t the money next season to keep everyone they wish to. Money will be be coming off the books the following and they able.  They are going to lose some players next. If the general manager can find a way to free up money and not lose players like Kapenan and Johnnson he will ,  otherwise next year about   limiting the loses moving forward the next.  Just would not be surprised they shock some with moves they make.  I just would not be surprised one move they make is replacing Babcock with Keefe and if they cannot get Marner signed before July 1 . They will look at trade. There are just to many decisions to be made . 

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Is this one of those Jimmy Vesey type situations?

He refused to sign in Calgary and was traded to Carolina in the Hamilton Deal. He has one year of eligibility at Harvard left, but also told Carolina he would not sign at this time.

He is from Long Island and grew up a Rangers Fan. 

And it’s widely believed he would have become a UFA on August 15,2020 and signed with NYR. 

So Yes this is a same situation. 

Edited by Brawndo

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He refused to sign in Calgary and was traded to Carolina in the Hamilton Deal. He has one year of eligibility at Harvard left, but also told Carolina he would not sign at this time.

He is from Long Island and grew up a Rangers Fan. 

And it’s widely believed he would have become a UFA on August 15,2020 and signed with NYR. 

So Yes this is a same situation. 

Expect this to be addressed in the forthcoming* lockout.

*Because Heaven forbid they negotiate, you know, now.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Expect this to be addressed in the forthcoming* lockout.

*Because Heaven forbid they negotiate, you know, now.

They won't change a thing about this in the CBA.  College and american junior players already have further restrictions than major junior players.  They're not going to add even more restrictions on those players rights.  And this isn't quite the same as Vesey because Fox is still returning to college for one more year.  The Vesey situation played out after he had finished his senior season.  Unless Fox suddenly changes his mind and does leave school, I'm not really sure why the Rags would bother to do this now.