50th Anniversary Stuff

steveoath

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Meh, Vancouver publicizes everything. "Hockey is for everyone day" was hugely publicized and it was a couple lesbians on roller skates and a transsexual host talking in the lobby in front of a rainbow graphic and a few pink t-shirts. I'm sure the Sabres will do something. 

I am so confused by what you’re even saying here.

So I was definitely thinking it'd be odd to celebrate this upcoming season (while it would be the 50th season, the 50th anniversary technically would fall in 20-21.) But it seems their 40th anniversary was the only one falling after the actual season being celebrated. (10th anniversary season was celebrated in 79-80, 20th in 89-90, etc.) 

I guess this is happening. Still want to see something more definitive. But we do know there will be a new third next year at the very least.

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

much hype, but underwhelming and really a half ass result. 

It takes me making an assumption for me to say this but: You Can Play night isn't for you. Did you think they should have 50 lesbians hanging from ropes on the ceiling singing Carly Rae Jepsen? It's not really a grand concept event.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It takes me making an assumption for me to say this but: You Can Play night isn't for you. Did you think they should have 50 lesbians hanging from ropes on the ceiling singing Carly Rae Jepsen? It's not really a grand concept event.

This is where you go off the rails a lot, my friend. That's a terrible assumption. It sounds like the criticism is more about how the Canucks chose to mark the event. FWIW the league's own "inclusion czar" was quoted in an article @spndnchz linked recently suggesting that the league has to do more than just have its players wrap their sticks in rainbow tape. Do you have assumption about her?

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

So you took issue with You Can Play because....?

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think you’re missing the point. Vancouver went “all out” to promote an event, even one that had relatively few people of the demographic seemingly interested (judging by the lobby). I don’t think it has anything to do with the event other than it was an event the poster knew of.

I’ve been wrong before though. 

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is where you go off the rails a lot, my friend. That's a terrible assumption. It sounds like the criticism is more about how the Canucks chose to mark the event. FWIW the league's own "inclusion czar" was quoted in an article @spndnchz linked recently suggesting that the league has to do more than just have its players wrap their sticks in rainbow tape. Do you have assumption about her?

Settle down, nobody has gone off the rails here or elsewhere. In fact, I haven't exerted a whole lot of emotion on this website in a long time. I plan to keep it that way. (As for the JJ thing: I wasn't alone in calling that what it was)

I have no assumptions about her as I haven't seen her thoughts on the subject. The league does need to do more, but it's still not going to be a grand event.

I'm unfamiliar with Vancouver's event and how they promoted it. I have a hard time imagining some great disparity between the two.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Although that could have been interesting :) , my point is Vancouver hypes things big that aren't always big in reality. So the point is just because they have "already started" advertising 50th anniversary wait until you see what they actually do and compare it to what we do and then decide if we are somehow less than them. Not just cause they talked about it first.

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 8:42 AM, CallawaySabres said:

They should really wait until 2020 because this season has suck written all over it.....

The issue with doing that is '20-'21 has lockout written all over it.  Hard to adequately plan for events when the dates those are scheduled for might not actually have any games played.

They lost the '94 portion of the 25th Anniversary season.  No point in repeating it with the 50th.  Especially if they really are planning on wearing all the different unis they've worn in the past throughout the "50th" season.

5 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Wait... What? 

Somebody here (probably Callaway) posted a while back that the team was planning on working their way through the historic unis leading up to an eventual unveilling of new duds for the 50th & moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Somebody here (probably Callaway) posted a while back that the team was planning on working their way through the historic unis leading up to an eventual unveilling of new duds for the 50th & moving forward.

Didn’t someone just do that recently? Toronto maybe? I’d buy a black goat head for sure 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Didn’t someone just do that recently? Toronto maybe? I’d buy a black goat head for sure 

TO probably did.  (Avoid their games as much as possible since they got respectable, so not positive 'bout that.)

Moe-ray-all had many, if not all, of their historic sweaters during their 100th anniversary celebration.

Edited by Taro T

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

I'm hoping this is confirmed soon. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

TO probably did.  (Avoid their games as much as possible since they got respectable, so not positive 'bout that.)

Moe-ray-all had many, if not all, of their historic sweaters during their 100th anniversary celebration.

And neither one had anything approaching these:

72834197.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

112413_turds.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.