50th Anniversary Stuff

steveoath

Just saving space for the festivities. Seen a lot of fan art speculation for the 3rd jersey.  What are you hoping for? Would not be unhappy with this. (I know I've posted this before).

6rz41eE.jpg

Looking forward to the leaks prior to the draft.

Aside from the jerseys. Is the organisation planning any more festivities?

• Like (+1) 1

I think we might still be a year away from any real festivities as the 50th anniversary falls in 2020. (The 40th anniversary jerseys were released in 2010, for reference.) With that said, it is widely believed there will at least be a new third jersey next year.

35 minutes ago, slugspirit said:

I think we might still be a year away from any real festivities as the 50th anniversary falls in 2020. (The 40th anniversary jerseys were released in 2010, for reference.) With that said, it is widely believed there will at least be a new third jersey next year.

The team already came out and said they would be celebrating their 50th year this year. The Canucks also are. 

I never much liked the "goat head" but it was probably better than the "banana slug."  Ironically, they had some of their greatest success with those two awful logos.  I could see some kind of 3rd jersey honoring those past teams.  I would prefer something dating back to the original logo from the early 70's (which isn't terribly different from the modified version they are using today) with the same type of stripes, laces in the collar, royal blue color, etc. from the 70's.  Those are the true classics.

Edited by msw2112

I'll keep beating this drum. Retire Taro Tsujimoto's number. 74, I'm assuming. Have an aging Japanese man play Taro, who comes out and delivers a speech that someone translates into English. Family standing by. Gifts. Banner raising. It would be hilarious, bizarre, educational.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll keep beating this drum. Retire Taro Tsujimoto's number. 74, I'm assuming. Have an aging Japanese man play Taro, who comes out and delivers a speech that someone translates into English. Family standing by. Gifts. Banner raising. It would be hilarious, bizarre, educational.

you'd have to have Paul Weiland's and Punch Imlach's family there as well.  

I can see the headlines now in Toronto, "Sabres Retire Number of Phantom Player."

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, #freejame said:

The team already came out and said they would be celebrating their 50th year this year. The Canucks also are. 

When did they say this? Everything I remember indicated the team isn’t celebrating until NEXT NEXT season.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why no salute to the Bisons?

That's perhaps a separate thread.  The Bisons truly deserve a banner, if there isn't one already, as they provided year upon year of productive, entertaining hockey and players.  Many of the latter became NHL stars, such as Jacques Plante, Moose Vasko, Pierre Pilote, and Dickie Moore.  Bobby Hull (if memory serves me right) even played for them briefly.

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

"Taro couldn't be here tonight" would be even better.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Just what we need—more senselessly retired numbers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’m still not convinced this is happening this season. Rob Ray isn’t enough to convince me.

Writing about the trip to Sweden, Harrington wrote, "The international trip figures to be a highlight of the Sabres' 50th anniversary season."

That's hardly iron-clad, because I don't remember an official announcement. But it seems like people who should know are assuming the celebration will be next season.

41 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If this upcoming season really is the 50th anniversary celebration I'm already off board with it all because the team has dropped the ball before it even started.

Maybe they haven't dropped the ball as much as they are cautiously hedging their bets. A 50th anniversary celebration would go so much better hand in hand with a winning season and a return to the playoffs. If we are losing again next year it'll just drive home the point about how sad this has all become.

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe they haven't dropped the ball as much as they are cautiously hedging their bets. A 50th anniversary celebration would go so much better hand in hand with a winning season and a return to the playoffs. If we are losing again next year it'll just drive home the point about how sad this has all become.

Vancouver is all-in already.... and they're hardly better than us if at all. If this is the mindset the franchise has taken then the Pegulas should actually sell the team (and I'm so far from actually thinking that short of this mindset being confirmed). This is an opportunity to have some fun and get fans in on it...

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

If this upcoming season really is the 50th anniversary celebration I'm already off board with it all because the team has dropped the ball before it even started.

You lost me. Because you think 2020-2021 is their actual 50th season?

Just now, PASabreFan said:

You lost me. Because you think 2020-2021 is their actual 50th season?

Because this news has dribbled out of the mouths of two of the dumbest individuals in the Buffalo hockey scene but the team itself hasn’t actually said anything. And because it’s the wrong season.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Because this news has dribbled out of the mouths of two of the dumbest individuals in the Buffalo hockey scene but the team itself hasn’t actually said anything. And because it’s the wrong season.

The Sabres celebrated their 20th anniversary in 1989-90. Was that OK? It is a conundrum.

It's a good point about the radio silence from the team. But when should they start publicizing it? In April?

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Sabres celebrated their 20th anniversary in 1989-90. Was that OK? It is a conundrum.

It's a good point about the radio silence from the team. But when should they start publicizing it? In April?

Vancouver started publicizing it in February.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Vancouver started publicizing it in February.

Meh, Vancouver publicizes everything. "Hockey is for everyone day" was hugely publicized and it was a couple lesbians on roller skates and a transsexual host talking in the lobby in front of a rainbow graphic and a few pink t-shirts. I'm sure the Sabres will do something. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.