Didn't know where to post this......

Scottysabres

Hey all,

I didn't know where to post this, so, forgive me if it is inappropriate. I am looking for our medical members, I am deeply worried and would appreciate any information outside of what I've read so far.

My mother is 72 yrs old, she's had quadruple bi-pass 4 years ago. She is doing well, but now has been diagnosed with emphysema. These aren't the issue however.

She was just diagnosed with an Aneurism around her stomach region. Testing on specifics is still out as we await the insurance scenario to get her in for further testing and so on.

My question is this, what are we looking at here? Is there surgery? Or, perhaps medication? I am in the dark in so far as what could potentially happen, life expectancy with a condition like this and so on, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Hey all,

I didn't know where to post this, so, forgive me if it is inappropriate. I am looking for our medical members, I am deeply worried and would appreciate any information outside of what I've read so far.

My mother is 72 yrs old, she's had quadruple bi-pass 4 years ago. She is doing well, but now has been diagnosed with emphysema. These aren't the issue however.

She was just diagnosed with an Aneurism around her stomach region. Testing on specifics is still out as we await the insurance scenario to get her in for further testing and so on.

My question is this, what are we looking at here? Is there surgery? Or, perhaps medication? I am in the dark in so far as what could potentially happen, life expectancy with a condition like this and so on, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott

The size of the aneurysm and whether or not it’s leaking are the usually the two biggest factors in determining the treatment course. 

If it’s 5.5 cm or larger a vascular surgeon would consider a procedure where they place a sheath in the area of the aneurysm, which in effect decreases the risk of rupture. Cholesterol Medicine, BP control are important as well. 

If the aneurysm is 5.5 cm or less, they usually watch it and repeat imaging every six months or so.

How did they discover the aneurysm if you do not mind me asking.

Feel Free to PM me as well

• Like (+1) 3

I am not a doctor but my advice is to visit a medical website that offers interactive consultation. Preferably you want to speak with a medical professional in person. In person you could probably go over symptoms, medical history, and maybe genetic disposition. I know this is not the answer you are looking for and I am just trying to help. Best wishes for your mom and family.  

EDIT: Brawndo sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Scott

The size of the aneurysm and whether or not it’s leaking are the usually the two biggest factors in determining the treatment course. 

If it’s 5.5 cm or larger a vascular surgeon would consider a procedure where they place a sheath in the area of the aneurysm, which in effect decreases the risk of rupture. Cholesterol Medicine, BP control are important as well. 

If the aneurysm is 5.5 cm or less, they usually watch it and repeat imaging every six months or so.

How did they discover the aneurysm if you do not mind me asking.

Feel Free to PM me as well

Thank you Brawndo.

They discovered it in a routine checkup appointment. I can get further information. She goes to the medical building over on North French, by Niagara Falls Blvd. Ironically, and I know you'll frown on this, as you should, and I should be chastised for it, it's my medical center, same office I believe, only, I gone once in 3 years, last year. 49 yrs old, I know, I know.

But, in any event, the multiple conditions, and she still smokes, not a lot, but does, it's deeply concerning me.

Scotty, both of my parents had that surgery (abdominal aortic aneurysm) at about that same age and they both did very well and lived for years afterwards. It's always a risk-benefit assessment. When the risk of rupture is greater than the risk of surgery, they want to do surgery. Brawndo can say that better. Good luck with it. Long live the moms.

• Like (+1) 1

Brwando, I'm on the phone with her now.

She went in for an x-ray on her chest for lung cancer, she doesn't. In the x-ray, they discovered the Aneurysm. She has COPD, emphysema, apparently this was a scheduled visit and the technician and physician told her she had an Aneurysm "in her stomach". Mom's words. Mom and Dad are awaiting insurance to approve the further testing. This was on April 2nd, they told her Monday, April 8th.

10 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I am not a doctor but my advice is to visit a medical website that offers interactive consultation. Preferably you want to speak with a medical professional in person. In person you could probably go over symptoms, medical history, and maybe genetic disposition. I know this is not the answer you are looking for and I am just trying to help. Best wishes for your mom and family.  

EDIT: Brawndo sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

I do know my way around the Web MD Site 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

She went in for an x-ray on her chest for lung cancer, she doesn't. In the x-ray, they discovered the Aneurysm. She has COPD, emphysema, apparently this was a scheduled visit and the technician and physician told her she had an Aneurysm "in her stomach". Mom's words. Mom and Dad are awaiting insurance to approve the further testing. This was on April 2nd, they told her Monday, April 8th.

They will send her for an Abdominal Ultrasound or a CT of the Chest  with dye to better determine the size, depending on where they found it.

Is she having any symptoms such as chest, back or stomach pains?

Getting her to quit smoking is a necessity. Easier said then done, I know. 

That is a large risk factor for aneurysms, and with her needing heart surgery in the past it appears she does have arterial disease in other spots as well.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

They will send her for an Abdominal Ultrasound or a CT of the Chest  with dye to better determine the size, depending on where they found it.

Is she having any symptoms such as chest, back or stomach pains?

Getting her to quit smoking is a necessity. Easier said then done, I know. 

That is a large risk factor for aneurysms, and with her needing heart surgery in the past it appears she does have arterial disease in other spots as well.

No chest, back or stomach pains. But, she does cough, not regularly, but more than normal. She doesn't have shallow breathing unless she's moving vertical, stair cases, the southern tier short hill climbs. She's on BP meds, and a few others due to the open heart surgery.

I will have been relentless on the smoking issue, but, I will redouble my efforts on that end, even if it means coming out of work and going right to Mom and Dad's house and crushing those smokes.

I always expected a day Mom would go, but your never fully prepared. And in my case, as a child of rape, she is my world, literally.

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

No chest, back or stomach pains. But, she does cough, not regularly, but more than normal. She doesn't have shallow breathing unless she's moving vertical, stair cases, the southern tier short hill climbs. She's on BP meds, and a few others due to the open heart surgery.

I will have been relentless on the smoking issue, but, I will redouble my efforts on that end, even if it means coming out of work and going right to Mom and Dad's house and crushing those smokes.

I always expected a day Mom would go, but your never fully prepared. And in my case, as a child of rape, she is my world, literally.

If she gets any symptoms she should go to the ER right away.

Regarding the smoking issue, she has to be the one who wants to quit, or else she will find other ways to get cigarettes. 

And you and I are close in age as our mothers, so I completely understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If she gets any symptoms she should go to the ER right away.

Regarding the smoking issue, she has to be the one who wants to quit, or else she will find other ways to get cigarettes. 

And you and I are close in age as our mothers, so I completely understand. 

Thanks Brwando. It's much appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

So other than what Brawndo said, the follow up to confirm aneurysm will be done with an IV contrast CT, make sure CT unit is 64 slice or higher as timing is critical... and older lesser sliced models are slower and not as good or can miss timing wise when contrast is at its highest flow.  Higher pressured IV is important as it expands the part of the descending abdominal Aorta that they suspect is an aneurysm to better visualize it, measure it etc.  At that point a proper treatment can be decided.  Ive seen large ones they do nothing with because of age of patient and because person has been living with it for years and is obviously stable.

See a reputable vascular surgeon and get 2nd opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

Scotty,

I am no doctor and I don't even play one on SabreSpace, but I know how to pray.  5 times a day and extra when ever I feel the need ... like now.  Done.

You and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers often.

Best wishes, take care and I am hopeful of a happy ending to this story.  NS loves happy beginnings, middles and endings.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Wanted to post a Thank you to all who responded to this. Mom had the surgery, had a stint installed, it went fairly well, had to stay a couple extra days up at Buffalo General for some fluid in the lungs following the surgery, they said that's not uncommon. She's been post surgery for 2 weeks now and is looking good. She even finally gave up the smoking.

Looks like she'll be around for a bit still ? Which makes my heart fill with a feeling of content. I know there will come a day, but these days, are not that day. At least, not yet.

So once again, thank you all for your input, prayers and taking the time to respond. Believe it or not, it makes a difference, so this little community is most certainly a worthy one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Wanted to post a Thank you to all who responded to this. Mom had the surgery, had a stint installed, it went fairly well, had to stay a couple extra days up at Buffalo General for some fluid in the lungs following the surgery, they said that's not uncommon. She's been post surgery for 2 weeks now and is looking good. She even finally gave up the smoking.

Looks like she'll be around for a bit still ? Which makes my heart fill with a feeling of content. I know there will come a day, but these days, are not that day. At least, not yet.

So once again, thank you all for your input, prayers and taking the time to respond. Believe it or not, it makes a difference, so this little community is most certainly a worthy one.

I wish I knew you were at BGH, I was on service last weekend and would have stopped in to say Hello. 

Great News all around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wish I knew you were at BGH, I was on service last weekend and would have stopped in to say Hello. 

Great News all around. 

She was on the 15th floor after the surgery. Then transferred to the 9th after they discovered that little bit of fluid. They released her I think it was the 24th.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.