If fans could fire an owner, would you fire Terry?

PASabreFan

Would you fire Terry?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Terry?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Protecting your trademarks is always a valid concern. I question whether #BillsMafia presented any sort of threat to the Bills mark. I also know that there are other ways to go about protecting your marks.

Moreover, they’re asking for the whole kit and kaboodle — a straight “word mark.” They’d own the phrase, in any style, color scheme, etc.

It contains "Bills." If the Pegulas and the NFL looked the other way, then precedent is set. Anyone could create  #Bills(whatever) and they'd have no right to object.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It contains "Bills." If the Pegulas and the NFL looked the other way, then precedent is set. Anyone could create  #Bills(whatever) and they'd have no right to object.

Except that it doesn't contain "Bills".

And I'm not advocating that anyone with rights to protect look the other way, and lose them.

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Protecting your trademarks is always a valid concern. I question whether #BillsMafia presented any sort of threat to the Bills mark. I also know that there are other ways to go about protecting your marks.

Moreover, they’re asking for the whole kit and kaboodle — a straight “word mark.” They’d own the phrase, in any style, color scheme, etc.

No idea. My concerns aren’t really legal anyway. It just seems like a tone dead cash grab.

Oh, I agree.  I just wonder if some company like 26shirts or BarStool sports might like to get into a scrap.  Just looked up the application on TESS--I know the filer pretty well and I suspect you do, too.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh, I agree.  I just wonder if some company like 26shirts or BarStool sports might like to get into a scrap.  Just looked up the application on TESS--I know the filer pretty well and I suspect you do, too.

Anyone who thinks they have superior rights can bring an inter partes proceeding against the Bills before the TTAB at the USPTO; I doubt anyone is out there though.

This is just for use in connection with clothing, by the way.

(Both applications that is; neither has been examined as of yet so they are just in limbo).

I did a very quick search and didn't find any potentially blocking marks.

There is another Bills Mafia mark out there but for use in connection with an online message board about Buffalo, NY topics.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Hmm. I'm off to look at who the filer is. Not for nothing: I have always found it so odd which local law firm they generally use.

Nope. Don't know the guy. Impressive resume, though.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Anyone who thinks they have superior rights can bring an inter partes proceeding against the Bills before the TTAB at the USPTO; I doubt anyone is out there though.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the two companies that I know sell "Bills Mafia" apparel (and have for years).

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not for nothing: I have always found it so odd which local law firm they generally use.

Same.  I know who has the relationship, too, and that makes it even weirder.  I know it goes back to at least the early Brandon years, so maybe it's a high school or college friendship or something.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Same.  I know who has the relationship, too, and that makes it even weirder.  I know it goes back to at least the early Brandon years, so maybe it's a high school or college friendship or something.

Interesting. I will say: They have a commercial litigator who's about our vintage --  and he is excellent. So there's that.

It's just that ... it's a firm with such an unusual mix of practices. You'd think billionaires would insist on getting a more buttoned up white shoe firm -- not a firm with, among other things, historical ties to Larry Flynt and ongoing ties to the adult entertainment industry.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the two companies that I know sell "Bills Mafia" apparel (and have for years).

I didn't know anyone was selling "Bills Mafia" stuff.  Well that's interesting.  I doubt either has the sophistication to bring an opposition proceeding against the Bills, but who knows.  They might.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, Kruppstahl said:

I didn't know anyone was selling "Bills Mafia" stuff.  Well that's interesting.  I doubt either has the sophistication to bring an opposition proceeding against the Bills, but who knows.  They might.

Barstool Sports definitely has the resources for a trademark opposition.  But from what Aud Smell posted, it might not need to. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, Eleven said:

LOL: I used to work at that firm and indeed did a few small bits of work for the Bills.

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The price of oil and natural gas seems to be on the rebound. If the run continues, hopefully the Pegula lifestyle can get back on track and cash for the team will be a little easier to come by.

will this make them smarter owners?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

will this make them smarter owners?

We haven't drafted with a crap for a long time, that is the #1 problem with this team. I know everyone wants to put this on ownership, but more than anything it's been bad luck and to a lesser extent bad scouting.

The 2nd worst thing that could happen to this team is for new ownership come in and cheap out on player salaries a la Ottawa and Arizona.

The worst thing to happen to the Sabres would be for new ownership to come in and move the team to a wealthier market that doesn't need to have one of the cheapest ticket prices in the league to fill the building.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.