If fans could fire an owner, would you fire Terry?

PASabreFan

Would you fire Terry?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Terry?

• Yes
    • No

I think Terry and Kim, and their dog Sydney, should have their heads shaved and be forced to take the Walk of Shame through Canalside, led by @PASabreFan, wearing yellow turdburger jerseys. At the end, the current Sabres jerseys will be made royal blue and Pat LaFontaine will slip on a pair of ruby slippers, click his heels together and say "No Goal" over and over until Gary Bettman descends from the sky to award us the 2022 Winter Classic.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"The Pegulas were previously based in Pittsburgh before purchasing the Sabres in February 2011. Terry Pegula was such a Penguins fan that he named his beloved dog Sidney."

—Associated Press

Seriously, no one questions why the Penguin fetish for Terry? Why Black, Sawyer, Patrick, Bylsma, Botterill?

Terry, who went on to admit he didn't know his beloved Sabres were for sale after Rigas got arrested, wasn't being truthful on February 22, 2011. But it was brilliant PR, I will give him and Gibby that.

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"The Pegulas were previously based in Pittsburgh before purchasing the Sabres in February 2011. Terry Pegula was such a Penguins fan that he named his beloved dog Sidney."

—Associated Press

Seriously, no one questions why the Penguin fetish for Terry? Why Black, Sawyer, Patrick, Bylsma, Botterill?

Terry, who went on to admit he didn't know his beloved Sabres were for sale after Rigas got arrested, wasn't being truthful on February 22, 2011. But it was brilliant PR, I will give him and Gibby that.

I still don't understand the "liar and douchebag" comment (not to mention the vitriol).  What was he "lying" about?  And did naming his dog after Crosby make him a douchebag?  If so, why?

37 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

Where?  It's not on Sabres.com or Beyond Blue & Gold or the YouTube channel.  As far as I can find, they never put it online. they only showed it in Arena and during the broadcast intermissions.

Eleven and nfreeman are just doing Eleven and nfreeman stuff.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I still don't understand the "liar and douchebag" comment (not to mention the vitriol).  What was he "lying" about?  And did naming his dog after Crosby make him a douchebag?  If so, why?

I am done. You can talk to my dog and lawyer, Milan.

53 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

Where?  It's not on Sabres.com or Beyond Blue & Gold or the YouTube channel.  As far as I can find, they never put it online. they only showed it in Arena and during the broadcast intermissions.

Oh--I definitely watched it during a broadcast.  I considered that "made public," I guess.  Made available on the Internet is a different thing to me.  And yes, it probably should be.

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Eleven and nfreeman are just doing Eleven and nfreeman stuff.

Huh?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Terry started hands-on, but has learned to keep the hell out.  I think Murray broke him.

Is sitting next to an assistant coach during a game hands-off? I suppose it could be harmless, but what impression does it give and what effect does it have on the professional people? We've also learned, and this was after Murray by a long time, that Terry watches video on the players (and surely not like we do; I suspect we're talking the video packages that staff prepares for coaches). Does Terry just watch for the fun of it, and say nothing to his professional people? Finally, there are the rumblings (none of them mine, actually) that Terry hired Phil and forced Jason's hand in the ROR trade. There's still too much smoke to declare the meddling fire out.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is sitting next to an assistant coach during a game hands-off? I suppose it could be harmless, but what impression does it give and what effect does it have on the professional people? We've also learned, and this was after Murray by a long time, that Terry watches video on the players (and surely not like we do; I suspect we're talking the video packages that staff prepares for coaches). Does Terry just watch for the fun of it, and say nothing to his professional people? Finally, there are the rumblings (none of them mine, actually) that Terry hired Phil and forced Jason's hand in the ROR trade. There's still too much smoke to declare the meddling fire out.

I’m not saying any of what you said is incorrect… But what I am saying is some fans love to believe all the smoke fire and negativity… And don’t believe anything to the contrary. It’s more fun for some to believe the delicious negative rumors. Or draw illogical conclusions from stories. It’s like some fans are the happiest when they’re mad at the team. It’s a weird mindset I’ll never grasp.
One has to be very careful what they choose to believe and what they choose to brush off until there’s overwhelming evidence that the rumor is in fact true. Well, one doesn’t have to, But me personally, I choose to brush off 95% of the rumors and stories I see spewed on forums and where fans gather to gossip. 

Edited by Zamboni

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not saying any of what you said is incorrect… But what I am saying is some fans love to believe all the smoke fire and negativity… And don’t believe anything to the contrary. It’s more fun for some to believe the delicious negative rumors. Or draw illogical conclusions from stories. It’s like some fans are the happiest when they’re mad at the team. It’s a weird mindset I’ll never grasp.
One has to be very careful what they choose to believe and what they choose to brush off until there’s overwhelming evidence that the rumor is in fact true. Well, one doesn’t have to, But me personally, I choose to brush off 95% of the rumors and stories I see spewed on forums and where fans gather to gossip. 

But as you well know we never find out the truth. Why did Patty leave? etc. So as fans all we have are tidbits, facts when we can get 'em and logic to build circumstantial cases.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Just because he wants inside scoops doesn’t mean he’s making any impact on decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, PASabreFan said:

—Associated Press

It's entirely possible that Terry had an honest, genuine affection for the Sabres of the late 70s and early 80s, etc., *and* that he later developed a fandom for (and loose business association with) the Penguins as they cycled through the excellence of Mario/Jaromir and then Crosby/Malkin. In fact, it makes a lot of sense. The two are far from mutually exclusive.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, PASabreFan said:

Finally, there are the rumblings (none of them mine, actually) that Terry hired Phil and forced Jason's hand in the ROR trade. There's still too much smoke to declare the meddling fire out.

Dude's a meddler. I thought that was conclusively adjudged?! The question is the extent to which he meddles. I've turned over the ROR thing in my head more times than I care to admit, and the only logical explanation I accept is that ownership compelled it. There are other possible explanations, but they don't make sense (which does not mean that a nonsensical trade happened - just that I think the only logical, rational explanation is that Terry and/or Kim decided ROR had to go because he was too mopey and sad (and they didn't want to pay a mopey, sad guy a huge bonus)).

On 1/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, PASabreFan said:

But as you well know we never find out the truth. Why did Patty leave? etc. So as fans all we have are tidbits, facts when we can get 'em and logic to build circumstantial cases.

Please - it's Paddy. Patty is an aunt of mine who makes a terrific tater tot casserole. God bless her heart.

And, not for nothing, Paddy remains persona non grata. I saw some Tweet about how he was conspicuously absent from creative content created for the the 90s era game. Super weird.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And, not for nothing, Paddy remains persona non grata. I saw some Tweet about how he was conspicuously absent from creative content created for the the 90s era game. Super weird.

If he left the way we all think he left, why would he come back and help the team?

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

If he left the way we all think he left, why would he come back and help the team?

I remain unclear on how and why he left.

In any case, the guy’s one of the team’s all-time greats. I would expect them to patch things up, at least so they can function normally for stuff like the 50th season. But no.

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I remain unclear on how and why he left.

In any case, the guy’s one of the team’s all-time greats. I would expect them to patch things up, at least so they can function normally for stuff like the 50th season. But no.

I wouldn't. Pegula doesn't strike me as a 90's guy. He's entrenched in the 70's I suspect. I don't believe Patty will be back, and, as you alluded to, the patch up isn't a reality.

Sad? Yea, it is. Following my Gulf War stint, Patty and Molginy ignited that Sabres passion I had put aside for 4 years. It was something special to watch the replays, I never got to see them live, which just tore at my hockey heart. I got to see the French Connection, Gare, the 80's, and, after 96, Dom, Drury/Briere, up to the current day. It was just that magic between those 2 I never got to see. So yea, it is sad, truly.

13 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

<snip> It was just that magic between those 2 I never got to see. So yea, it is sad, truly.

Interesting takes and insights. Something tells me that the reason(s) the franchise and Lafontaine are so estranged now has more to do with what happened a few years ago and the personalities involved than it does with the extent to which Pegula was (not) a fan of the 90s Sabres.

From a corporate asset standpoint, it is an indefensible waste of valuable goodwill not to get 16 back in the fold. Sabre fans loved Lafontaine, and many still do (and would).

I was mostly out of town myself during those years. But, man, the few times I got to the old place and see the Lafontaine/Mogilny + May/Ray/Boughner edition of the team? That was fun, fun stuff. It just seemed like most nights were 5-3 scores with one or two dandy scraps.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:03 AM, That Aud Smell said:

It's entirely possible that Terry had an honest, genuine affection for the Sabres of the late 70s and early 80s, etc., *and* that he later developed a fandom for (and loose business association with) the Penguins as they cycled through the excellence of Mario/Jaromir and then Crosby/Malkin. In fact, it makes a lot of sense. The two are far from mutually exclusive.

Dude's a meddler. I thought that was conclusively adjudged?! The question is the extent to which he meddles. I've turned over the ROR thing in my head more times than I care to admit, and the only logical explanation I accept is that ownership compelled it. There are other possible explanations, but they don't make sense (which does not mean that a nonsensical trade happened - just that I think the only logical, rational explanation is that Terry and/or Kim decided ROR had to go because he was too mopey and sad (and they didn't want to pay a mopey, sad guy a huge bonus)).

Please - it's Paddy. Patty is an aunt of mine who makes a terrific tater tot casserole. God bless her heart.

Could be, but BAHTs has hardly put together such a strong resume of roster work at the forward position so as to allow us to soundly rule out a simple “misfire” by him in deciding who to trade. That would still be a logical explanation. 

Edited by Thorny

On 1/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Perhaps.  But for the 90's game (Panthers) & the next one in St. Louis, during the MSG broadcast LaFontaine was the focus of the Sabres HoF Spotlight.  Kind of a strange thing to do if they were intentionally dissing him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Perhaps.  But for the 90's game (Panthers) & the next one in St. Louis, during the MSG broadcast LaFontaine was the focus of the Sabres HoF Spotlight.  Kind of a strange thing to do if they were intentionally dissing him.

Glad to hear this.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Could be, but BAHTs has hardly put together such a strong resume of roster work at the forward position so as to allow us to soundly rule out a simple “misfire” by him in deciding who to trade. That would still be a logical explanation. 

Not unfair. But, man. That ROR move was *such* a stinker. Beyond the pale. In hindsight, it seems like it has non-hockey-influence written all over it.

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not unfair. But, man. That ROR move was *such* a stinker. Beyond the pale. In hindsight, it seems like it has non-hockey-influence written all over it.

Maybe, but looking at it through the prism of the time, there were plenty of respected analysts that thought we were getting a good haul. He may have, too.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Maybe, but looking at it through the prism of the time, there were plenty of respected analysts that thought we were getting a good haul. He may have, too.

I acknowledge that. I’ve come to conclude that the pundits who landed in that camp were participating in hive-takery.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.