If fans could fire an owner, would you fire Terry?

PASabreFan

Would you fire Terry?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Terry?

• Yes
    • No

A profile of Tom Golisano in the Buffalo News yesterday has this line about Terry: "Pegula bought the team with a fan’s enthusiasm, because he had indeed grown up a Sabres fan."

Does this Athletic piece have anything to say about his origin story as a Sabre fan?

Probably shouldn't be a big mystery. Terry said in his intro presser he had been a Sabre fan since 1975. That's when he moved to Olean after college. He was 24 years old.

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A profile of Tom Golisano in the Buffalo News yesterday has this line about Terry: "Pegula bought the team with a fan’s enthusiasm, because he had indeed grown up a Sabres fan."

Does this Athletic piece have anything to say about his origin story as a Sabre fan?

Probably shouldn't be a big mystery. Terry said in his intro presser he had been a Sabre fan since 1975. That's when he moved to Olean after college. He was 24 years old.

No.  The article only mentioned his being a Tigers fan growing up.  And considering the Sabres didn't exist until '70, hard to believe Pegula "grew up" a Sabres fan.

19 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I believe it. That's Terry's MO. He bumps into someone reaching for the same rack of ribs at Golden Corral, recognizes him and before the check comes he's the new president of the Buffalo Sabres (while pudding and apple pie are fetched for dessert, the GM offer is refused). "I know you!" "I know your dad!" "Aren't you from Pittsburgh? I have a dog named after Sid!"

The only deviation here is that apparently Greenberg knew how to do his job.

Nope.  It worked the other way.  Greenberg was desperate to meet Pegula, per the article.

But please, don't let your *****-colored glasses get in the way of fact.

Edited by Eleven

• 3 months later...

I would not Fire Terry as the owner. I would however remove Kim from running PSE and hire the proper people to oversee the operations. She can still be involved

in philanthropy and appropriate NFL & NHL initiatives but she/they need to turn the reigns over to more experienced and knowledgeable people.

7 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

I would not Fire Terry as the owner. I would however remove Kim from running PSE and hire the proper people to oversee the operations. She can still be involved

in philanthropy and appropriate NFL & NHL initiatives but she/they need to turn the reigns over to more experienced and knowledgeable people.

She doesn't run the sports operations.  She didn't even watch the game on Saturday--she was too nervous.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

She doesn't run the sports operations.  She didn't even watch the game on Saturday--she was too nervous.

People tend to conflate her title of President of Pegula Sports Entertainment with what someone holding the title President of Hockey Operations would do.

It’s not the same job folks.  She just does business and marketing stuff.

I know what she does and am not confusing her role and didn't say she run the sports operation. 

She does however have oversight over everything under the PSE umbrella, which IMO

needs a lot of work. Especially the Sabres marketing, which in her role,

she should see this and be pushing for better results or get the right people who will.

There's no reason, other than lack of strategy and planning why they didn't have warmup jerseys ready for the theme nights this season.

If she's the President, that falls on her as much as it does those under her.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

I know what she does and am not confusing her role and didn't say she run the sports operation. 

She does however have oversight over everything under the PSE umbrella, which IMO

needs a lot of work. Especially the Sabres marketing, which in her role,

she should see this and be pushing for better results or get the right people who will.

There's no reason, other than lack of strategy and planning why they didn't have warmup jerseys ready for the theme nights this season.

If she's the President, that falls on her as much as it does those under her.

If it's gameday presentation that you're after, I agree that it needs a lot of work.  She just needs to hire someone different to do that.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, LouBrawls said:

I feel like they drop the ball all around. You see what other teams put out in terms of content on social, in-game, promotions etc...and the Sabres are lacking.

Their social media is pretty great.  The Tre White goalie videos didn't come out of thin air.  On the other hand, PSE just cut 1/3 of its creative staff.

Edited by Eleven

Is Terry better than Jimmy Haslam, owner of the Browns?

But Haslam’s ownership of the Browns, now in its eighth year, has been an abject failure in every way imaginable. If Paul Brown were picking the team’s talent and Bill Belichick doing the coaching, Haslam’s meddling and football IQ of about 13 would still steer the Browns into a ditch.

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2020/01/the-comedy-of-errors-that-is-the-new-cleveland-browns.html

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's funny you posted that.  That's what caused me to bump this thread.  They were having a conversation on local radio about whether Haslem was the worst owner in sports and all the evidence pointing that way.

I was thinking, good thing no one pays attention to hockey because Terry's ownership of the Sabres has been just as bad for many of the same reasons, and I'm sure a few more of his own.

4 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

That's funny you posted that.  That's what caused me to bump this thread.  They were having a conversation on local radio about whether Haslem was the worst owner in sports and all the evidence pointing that way.

I was thinking, good thing no one pays attention to hockey because Terry's ownership of the Sabres has been just as bad for many of the same reasons, and I'm sure a few more of his own.

Dan Snyder isn't the worst owner in sports?  I didn't think it was close.

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Decisively, I'd say. 

Comparing apples to apples, the Bills look to have been stabilized with the cool-headed, faith-based McDermott and Beane. They are widely regarded as running a competent, if not yet excellent, organization. From everything I see and hear, the Browns remain a complete tire fire.

As for the Sabres, the criticism I hear more and more of late is that the Pegulas have basically "forgotten" about their hockey team. But isn't that sort of what we (many of us (okay, @PASabreFan)) wanted?

46 minutes ago, LTS said:

Dan Snyder isn't the worst owner in sports?  I didn't think it was close.

and a happy thanksgiving to you as well, sir.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Decisively, I'd say. 

Comparing apples to apples, the Bills look to have been stabilized with the cool-headed, faith-based McDermott and Beane. They are widely regarded as running a competent, if not yet excellent, organization. From everything I see and hear, the Browns remain a complete tire fire.

As for the Sabres, the criticism I hear more and more of late is that the Pegulas have basically "forgotten" about their hockey team. But isn't that sort of what we (many of us (okay, @PASabreFan)) wanted?

and a happy thanksgiving to you as well, sir.

I thought it would be obvious I was asking if hockey owner Terry was better than football owner Jimmy, but maybe not.

Those who think Terry has forgotten about the Sabres must have missed his major ball-swinging maneuver to grab a seat next to goaltender coach Mike Bales up top during a recent game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Those who think Terry has forgotten about the Sabres must have missed his major ball-swinging maneuver to grab a seat next to goaltender coach Mike Bales up top during a recent game.

Meh?

Don't get me wrong. The Sabres appear to be mired in mediocrity (a couple of elite young talents, a streaky overpaid goal scorer, and not much else), and I just don't perceive their path out of this rut. So, yeah. The Pegulas as owners of the Sabres for, lo, these past 9 years (NINE!), have pretty much shat the bed. But, by all accounts, they're not crooks like Haslam.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Meh?

Don't get me wrong. The Sabres appear to be mired in mediocrity (a couple of elite young talents, a streaky overpaid goal scorer, and not much else), and I just don't perceive their path out of this rut. So, yeah. The Pegulas as owners of the Sabres for, lo, these past 9 years (NINE!), have pretty much shat the bed. But, by all accounts, they're not crooks like Haslam.

Can't believe it has been that long, but sure enough, next month it will be. Remember the excitement with the whole "from this day forward, the sole reason for existence for the Buffalo Sabres is to win the Stanley Cup" (paraphrase)? What a far cry it has been from that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

Their social media is pretty great.  The Tre White goalie videos didn't come out of thin air.  On the other hand, PSE just cut 1/3 of its creative staff.

Videos such as Beyond Blue & Gold seems to be their strong suit.  Still curious why that Rob v. Domi stuff was never made public. Anyone know?

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Meh?

Not crooks, yeah, but that may be all that makes them better.

Since you wanted apples to apples, I'd bet winning percentage during ownership, finishes standing-wise, playoffs (ha ha), number of GMs, number of coaches would all be similar if not worse for Terry's hockey team.  Then you can factor in the other stuff, the boneheaded moves, personnel mistakes, and just plain stupidity.

After this season, I may do a research project and comparison for Terry's hockey ownership record vs other bad owners across sports.

For @LTS, I'll even throw in Dan Snyder, but I bet he looks good compared to Terry and Jimmy H.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.