If fans could fire an owner, would you fire Terry?

PASabreFan

Would you fire Terry?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Terry?

• Yes
    • No

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tim-graham-show/id1438471984

The Tim Graham Show from Wednesday spoke about the Pegula Ownership and whether they need Presidents for Football/Hockey Ops. They also touch on whether or not there is meddling from Ownership. 

They discuss the Bills Hierarchy and how there are GM Candidates sprinkled throughout.

Yes to the Stevie Y. 

Starts at around 55 Minute Mark 

On the the subject of McBeane. This is the same brain trust that started the 2018 Season with Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen as QBs.  They do seem to have the team on track though. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

As for whether someone else would buy the team, keep it here, etc. -- there's no need to speculate.  The team has been sold twice in the past 15 years.  The first time around, no one wanted to buy it until it was deeply discounted -- and that buyer refused to spend money on it and thus dismantled possibly the best team they've ever had.  The second time, there was one bidder, and it was the one we ended up with. 

There wasn't any bidding. Someone from Pegula's camp called LQ and LQ went down to the Burgh to have dinner with Terry et. al. Terry wanted to buy the team. It wasn't for sale. That said, somewhere along the line another party offered $70 million more than what Pegula paid, but with the intent to move the team. OSP said no. The second party was assumed to be Jim Balsillie.

The question I'm posing is: if Terry announced he was selling the team, would there be interest? Major league franchises don't come up for grabs that often. The Hurricanes were sold to a wealthy businessman from Texas. Despite rumours to the contrary, he's kept the Canes in Raleigh. They made $3 million last year. $3 million. Do you think billionaires care about $3 million dollars? The franchises will appreciate so much in value, it makes year to year profits or losses almost irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I prefer the Pegula's, unless one of us wins the lottery at 1.5 to 2 billion and buys at least a minority ownership, it's all we have.

It's the ownership version of, "Keep Lindy. There's no one out there who's better."

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's the ownership version of, "Keep Lindy. There's no one out there who's better."

I don't know honestly PA. I am not familiar with who would keep them here and so on.

I know this...………………………..

"If I ever get 5 BILLION DOLLARS to RUB together" I will buy both teams and build a 60 STORY TALL multi-function Ice Rink and Domed Football Stadium ON THE LAKE FRONT in Buffalo.

So...……………...at least we have that going for us ?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

There wasn't any bidding. Someone from Pegula's camp called LQ and LQ went down to the Burgh to have dinner with Terry et. al. Terry wanted to buy the team. It wasn't for sale. That said, somewhere along the line another party offered $70 million more than what Pegula paid, but with the intent to move the team. OSP said no. The second party was assumed to be Jim Balsillie.

The question I'm posing is: if Terry announced he was selling the team, would there be interest? Major league franchises don't come up for grabs that often. The Hurricanes were sold to a wealthy businessman from Texas. Despite rumours to the contrary, he's kept the Canes in Raleigh. They made $3 million last year. $3 million. Do you think billionaires care about $3 million dollars? The franchises will appreciate so much in value, it makes year to year profits or losses almost irrelevant.

So you think TG wasn’t interested in selling, despite literally years of reported rumors that he was, and TP just parachuted in from nowhere, swept him off his feet, and TG just took his offer without shopping around?

Carolina has $16MM in unspent cap space this year and what was reported as one of the best lease deals in the NHL.  Is that what you want for the Sabres?  For the city to pony up, say, $10MM per year in economic value and the team to save another $16MM in player payroll, plus who knows how much more in spending on facilities, coaches, etc?

Or should we just pretend that those factors don’t exist?

”These rich jerks, they’re everywhere, they just want to rip us off, one of them will magically appear and give us more than the current rich jerk is giving us.”

Not for nothing, that former Dallas WR went on record this week saying the player rehab/recovery facilities at OBD are better than they are in Dallas (and they’re pretty good in Dallas). He said ownership here has it right. 

The Pegulas’ willingness to spend their own money is a mark in their favour.

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So you think TG wasn’t interested in selling, despite literally years of reported rumors that he was, and TP just parachuted in from nowhere, swept him off his feet, and TG just took his offer without shopping around?

Carolina has $16MM in unspent cap space this year and what was reported as one of the best lease deals in the NHL.  Is that what you want for the Sabres?  For the city to pony up, say, $10MM per year in economic value and the team to save another $16MM in player payroll, plus who knows how much more in spending on facilities, coaches, etc?

Or should we just pretend that those factors don’t exist?

”These rich jerks, they’re everywhere, they just want to rip us off, one of them will magically appear and give us more than the current rich jerk is giving us.”

Did you see them battle the Caps in Game 1?

And that reminds me to look up how much the Sabres have been spending on their payroll the last eight years.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Did you see them battle the Caps in Game 1?

And that reminds me to look up how much the Sabres have been spending on their payroll the last eight years.

You're aware that Carolina lost last night and, more importantly, before this year, missed the playoffs for 9 years in a row and 11 out of 12?

Throwing money at the team doesn't guarantee success -- as we've learned the hard way -- but spending well under the cap and not spending on things like facilities, coaches, scouting, etc. makes it much harder.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not unless you can find someone with deep pockets in the Buffalo area. I would however, like him to just stay in a luxury box or wherever he likes to sit and let hockey people run the thing top to bottom. 

More alumni have to be involved too. Bring back a sense of pride in the jersey. 

This is unintentionally funny.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

After eight consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, including three years where they finished dead last, and everyone else has been fired? Do you mean it’s remarkable it’s so low?

No. To actually want the guy gone, given how effectively he insulated himself and build up credit for himself? Remarkable. Now, that figure would be remarkably low if the question had been something along the lines of the Gallup polling question on presidential approval — do you approve of the job Terry Pegula is doing as owner?

Edited by PASabreFan

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No. To actually want the guy gone, given how effectively he insulated himself and build up credit for himself? Remarkable. Now, that figure would be remarkably low if the question had been something along the lines of the Gallup polling question on presidential approval — do you approve of the job Terry Pegula is doing as owner?

Interesting take.  I don't think he's insulated himself well at all.  Not for lack of trying. He's definitely not made himself harder to criticize. 

I think the fanbase is more forgiving..... for lack of a better word....... because there was fear of losing the team, and because he has invested heavily in downtown.  In retrospect, maybe that is what you are referring to when saying he's insulated himself?

In the big picture, taking into account the stability of the team, viability long term, impact on the city of Buffalo.....I would say no.

However, if the question were worded differently, relating to how good of 'owners' they are for the success of the team...they yes. Maybe they are getting better, but it seems pretty apparent they weren't ready at all (even close) to run a competitive sports team.  Questionable hires in key positions (coaches, GMs, upper managment), a lot of turnover, more than doubling the longest playoff drought in team history...etc.

It kinda reminds me of when Dan Snyder bought the Redskins.....different personalities of course...but this level of success is what you can get when someone buys a team primarily because they are/were huge fans of the team and doesn't have the ability to take the 'step back' and let it be run by others in the business for the first few years UNTIL you are exposed to the inner workings of it.

I've stayed away from this thread but now that I've peaked in, I agree with mjd- the Pegulas bring cash flow, stability, and some unwelcome influence in team operations.  Given the first two, I can tolerate the third, and one would hope that eventually they will learn how to select the proper professionals and then step back.  Early on, TPegs said he'd like to model the team on the Red Wings who were still in their glory days but were recognized as a model of how to run a franchise.  The thing is, it took the Ilitches 15 years to win a Cup.  It took them a while to learn how to be great owners.  Pegula is no different.  I think it's still likely he'll get it right.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I've stayed away from this thread but now that I've peaked in, I agree with mjd- the Pegulas bring cash flow, stability, and some unwelcome influence in team operations.  Given the first two, I can tolerate the third, and one would hope that eventually they will learn how to select the proper professionals and then step back.  Early on, TPegs said he'd like to model the team on the Red Wings who were still in their glory days but were recognized as a model of how to run a franchise.  The thing is, it took the Ilitches 15 years to win a Cup.  It took them a while to learn how to be great owners.  Pegula is no different.  I think it's still likely he'll get it right.

We've been back and forth on this before. Mike's first hire for GM was Jimmy Devellano. Not bad. What took time was for Jimmy to right the ship. They were in the conference finals in years 5 and 6. The success wasn't lasting and didn't fully blossom until Scotty and Jimmy became a team. In between Bryan Murray was GM and Jimmy was VP. I guess I'm not sure what Ilitch learned over time that led to Cups.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, nfreeman said:

You're aware that Carolina lost last night and, more importantly, before this year, missed the playoffs for 9 years in a row and 11 out of 12?

Throwing money at the team doesn't guarantee success -- as we've learned the hard way -- but spending well under the cap and not spending on things like facilities, coaches, scouting, etc. makes it much harder.

Under Terry the Sabres have spent roughly $55 million under the cap.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

We've been back and forth on this before. Mike's first hire for GM was Jimmy Devellano. Not bad. What took time was for Jimmy to right the ship. They were in the conference finals in years 5 and 6. The success wasn't lasting and didn't fully blossom until Scotty and Jimmy became a team. In between Bryan Murray was GM and Jimmy was VP. I guess I'm not sure what Ilitch learned over time that led to Cups.

Just to spite you for making that post, I voted No.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Just to spite you for making that post, I voted No.

It was a joke.

12 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What are you talking about? And post the link that breaks that down in detail.

Thanks!

It's cumulative cap space per spottrac.com.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.