Draft Option #7: Matthew Boldy

LGR4GM

Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL, https://theathletic.com/904724/2019/04/09/the-athletics-2019-nhl-mock-draft-lottery-edition-devils-get-the-no-1-pick/

April 5, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

Jason Botchford: Call this the Elias Pettersson draft pick. The young centre needs a left winger who can score and Boldy is a sniper who can make plays too. That second part is so important because Pettersson has the best shot on the team, giving this potential duo a lethal ceiling. Boldy has elite hockey IQ, which is huge for anyone hoping to keep up with Pettersson over the long run. Boldy also has a pro level shot and is elite in and around the net, a skill that Jonathan Dahlen has and he was one of Pettersson’s favorite linemates in Sweden.

Pronman’s take: In Boldy, the Canucks get a winger with a fantastic toolkit. There are few 6-foot-2 forwards in the draft class who can dangle, make plays and score like Boldy can. He may not be ultra-fast, but the Canucks have invested in players like Pettersson, Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser who on first glance are not fast, but full of talent and they work with them to get faster. Boldy has all the ability to be a dynamic winger for either Pettersson or Horvat.

The write ups are taken from the Athletics post lottery mock draft. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

Zegras or Boldy...one of the two have to be the Sabres' pick, one of them will be the best player available at #7.

Eichel, Mittelstadt, Zegras, Asplund, Davidsson and Pekar could be a great group of (young) centers moving forward.

THN Future Watch has a scout that says Boldy is one of the best scorers he's ever seen with the USNTDP...plus, "elite hands and unbelievable hand-eye coordination."

For Zegas it says he's explosive and offensively gifted with vision and creativity, "ultra-skilled"...the scout says, "he'll transition to pro-hockey seamlessly."

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who said that?  I've his skating described as powerful yet graceful.

I would say his skating IS powerful yet graceful.  He is a strong guy and his edges/agility are good.  He has worked on his skating stride to improve his acceleration/quickness, but it could still get better, and also his top end speed is probably average.  So overall I would say his skating is good, but not great.

Edited by Curtisp5286

This is from Prospectpipeline.ca   https://prospectpipeline.ca/2018/09/03/matthew-boldy-scouting-report/

Strengths:

Scoring Ability

Skating

Two-Way Game

Matthew Boldy is an intriguing prospect whose 2018-19 season will strongly dictate his draft rankings. As a result of lining up beside Hughes and Caufield, some are doubtful of his numbers and individual abilities. However, Boldy earned his spot of NTDP’s top line with a combination of imperative traits. He is a terrific skater who is agile with the puck and has above-average top speed.

This is more in line with what I have read about his skating.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is from Prospectpipeline.ca   https://prospectpipeline.ca/2018/09/03/matthew-boldy-scouting-report/

This is more in line with what I have read about his skating.

Skating

Boldy has a powerful skating stride. He can fight through checks and get to the front of the net. Boldy has very good balance and is tough to knock off the puck. This helps him in battles on the boards as well. He also has very good agility and edgework. His quick changes of direction often cause issues for defenders. He uses this skating ability to get away from defenders and create open space both with and without the puck. Boldy’s speed and acceleration are good but not great. He is smart enough and moves well enough to keep up with the play, even with the outstanding speed of some of his faster teammates, but doesn’t match them step for step.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/09/matthew-boldy-scouting-report/ 

I think this is fairly accurate, he isn't a speedster. He also isn't slow. I would say from what I have watched he has above average speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Keep in mind that Boldy scored 30 goals, 22 at ES and his pivot was either Turcotte or Zegras. He did not play with Hughes. Looking at his skating, you see what they mean in the reports. This guy is agile AF. He has great edges and can pivot and turn very well. The thing you see and hear is that first step or two. It takes an extra couple strides to hit full speed. This doesn't mean he is slow. It means you aren't going to mistake him for a Ennis type of guy. That said, I did go and find stuff from last year and compared it (thankfully he was a USDP, there is stuff to find). He is quicker this year, more explosive. I would hazard a guess that he will be quicker next year as well. This looks like a guy growing into his frame and adding the muscle needed. As opposed to the guy who has a wonky skating stride and muscle won't fix that. 

This is recency bias but Boldy had 3 assists yesterday and was a +4.  From what I have read, he was feeding Caufield some grade A chances. It will be interesting to see if that keeps up. 

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

@LGR4GM - you’ve advocated for some guys who have hit in the past (barbashev and BB come to mind).  Will be interested in your final rankings once we get close to the draft.  This is such a big pick for the franchise if the pick gets made.  

Yea, gotta see the draft reports and hope for some more vids before the rankings firm up. John Beecher is a guy on my radar. A few other names, Simon Holmstrom, Alex Beaucage, Nathan Legare, Samuel Poulin. I wish we had a 2nd round pick but I wonder if someone will actually slide to the 3rd. Teams get dumb in the 2nd round for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Fun Fact Beecher grew up as a Sabres Fan 

He is from Elmira.  

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is recency bias but Boldy had 3 assists yesterday and was a +4.  From what I have read, he was feeding Caufield some grade A chances. It will be interesting to see if that keeps up. 

I watched the game and was very noticeable on the ice.  I thought he and Caufield were our two best players.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is from Elmira.  

I watched the game and was very noticeable on the ice.  I thought he and Caufield were our two best players.

Everytime I watch anything to do with Boldy, he just seems to be involved in the play. There are not a lot of things outside the pp of him just being fed tap ins or perfect chances. He really creates a lot of what happens. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, LGR4GM said:

Yea, gotta see the draft reports and hope for some more vids before the rankings firm up. John Beecher is a guy on my radar. A few other names, Simon Holmstrom, Alex Beaucage, Nathan Legare, Samuel Poulin. I wish we had a 2nd round pick but I wonder if someone will actually slide to the 3rd. Teams get dumb in the 2nd round for some reason. 

Beecher and Boldy were Line mates yesterday at the U18s 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.