Draft Option #7: Kirby Dach

LGR4GM

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL, https://theathletic.com/904724/2019/04/09/the-athletics-2019-nhl-mock-draft-lottery-edition-devils-get-the-no-1-pick/

Jan. 21, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds

Joe Yerdon: GM Jason Botterill hasn’t selected a player from the CHL in his first two drafts and, with the opportunity to not only improve an organizational need at center but also add a player with size and skill, choosing the 6-foot-4, 198-pound Dach would present a perfect opportunity to address all that at once. There will be plenty of choices at center in the 2019 NHL Draft, but Dach put up 73 points in 62 games for Saskatoon this season and used that size to create scoring chances. He’s not the typical big center who lacks playmaking ability in deferment to his size. The lure of sticking with familiar territory may be too strong, but Dach can provide something a little different than what currently exists in the pipeline.

Pronman’s take: In Dach, Buffalo gets a 6-foot-4 center with a ton of ability. There are few players in the world with Dach’s size with his combination of hands, vision and skating ability. He has all the potential to be a first-line center in the NHL. Buffalo has their first-line center already in Jack Eichel, but there’s no such thing as too many awesome centers. Dach played wing at the Hlinka Gretzky and showed he could be very good in that role, as well.

Edited by LGR4GM

Watching the highlights, wow! Definitely a playmaker than creates a lot of opportunity. Especially for his teammates moreso than himself, but he a legit scorer too. Just doesn’t look like a true ‘finisher’ though.

It looks like he’d be a great addition into our pipeline.. but not *exactly* what we need. Of course, at 7, we may not have a choice (BPA).

Edited by Die Hard

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens is almost as big with more skill. Turcotte has more compete. Dach I think he's some left to show but I think it can be pulled out. 

You think Cozens has more skill?  I would say Dach does.  His passing, playmaking, vision is better than Cozens IMO.  I would give Cozens the nod in goalscoring/finishing and skating though.

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You think Cozens has more skill?  I would say Dach does.  His passing, playmaking, vision is better than Cozens IMO.  I would give Cozens the nod in goalscoring/finishing and skating though.

So the only skills Dach is better at is passing and vision. I'd give cozens the nod in shooting, skating, and consistency. 

Dach consistency issues are a major question for me. 

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So the only skills Dach is better at is passing and vision. I'd give cozens the nod in shooting, skating, and consistency. 

Dach consistency issues are a major question for me. 

That’s fair.  I actually think Dach has a very good shot also, possibly as good as Cozens, but doesn’t use it as often and isn’t as inclined naturally to be a finisher.

What I am really curious about is this alleged consistency issue with Dach.  I’ve seen it mentioned a few times, but I don’t know specifically what people are referring to.  I know he had a slump earlier in the season.  Is that is?  Or is there more?

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

That’s fair.  I actually think Dach has a very good shot also, possibly as good as Cozens, but doesn’t use it as often and isn’t as inclined naturally to be a finisher.

What I am really curious about is this alleged consistency issue with Dach.  I’ve seen it mentioned a few times, but I don’t know specifically what people are referring to.  I know he had a slump earlier in the season.  Is that is?  Or is there more?

From what i've gathered, it sounds like some games he's less noticeable. I think that's what scouts are seeing and his early season slump. I agree fully his vision and passing are better than Cozens. Passing for sure. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

From what i've gathered, it sounds like some games he's less noticeable. I think that's what scouts are seeing and his early season slump. I agree fully his vision and passing are better than Cozens. Passing for sure. 

I worry a little about reading too much into a stretch of poor play by a 17 year old for like 10 games.  Now it’s a little different if they consistently take shifts or periods or games off here and there.  That’s much more of a red flag for me.  If he just struggled for a month but then got right back to it, it doesn’t worry me so much.  These are still kids after all going through a pretty stressful year.  Lack of effort/drive popping up repetitively is more concerning than one slump.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, Crusader1969 said:

From Sportsnets Sam Cosentino 

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 199 pounds: A cerebral game with everything in place to become a top-notched NHL player. Would love to see more consistent push-back.

Sounds like an XL Sam Reinhart.

Yes, please.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.